Wiki Posts
Search

Prop Formula??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Prop Formula??

Hello all. I'm doing a bit of research on a RC Boat project. I'm building a RC workhorse boat of sorts from scratch, and was wondering if there was a formula that can put me pretty close to what I will need for a prop.

for instance, if I know the final loaded weight and mass of the boat can I plug those variables into a formula to give me a close ballpark to blade size and pitch?

the boat itself is going to be rather large, appx 4ft long and 2.5ft wide and will be powered by 31c weed eater engine. I need power and draft on this monster to push thru beach surf.

Any advice on propping or even general advice is appreciated.

Thanx in advance!!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Cool Props

Well most the info you will find is geared more towards Speed\Racing, You might try asking in some of the "Scale Boat Forums".

here's a link to a Good Prop Chart to give you a starting place. You will want a 3 or more blade, Low Pitch, large Dia prop, for somthing like that.
The Octura 0977 is 77mm\ 3.03"Dia. .9 x 3.03 = 2.727 Pitch, with a .250(1\4") Hub
http://www.aircapitolhobbies.com/Prop_Charts.html