Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temp gun?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here is what I use. Getting same reading as other guys (probably more expensive) guns at the track.

It's all you need. No since in spending out a bunch on a gun, like stated above, after a while you will not even use one. You will be going by sight/sound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infrared-IR-Digi...item3a5b979609
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
Here is what I use. Getting same reading as other guys (probably more expensive) guns at the track.

It's all you need. No since in spending out a bunch on a gun, like stated above, after a while you will not even use one. You will be going by sight/sound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infrared-IR-Digi...item3a5b979609
2.60$.... I'm skeptic...
Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

I don't trust any temp gun for final tune. Buddy of mine has two exergen gauges, and they read a 20-30 degree difference between the two.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miniracer23
I don't trust any temp gun for final tune. Buddy of mine has two exergen gauges, and they read a 20-30 degree difference between the two.
One needs to be recalabreted. An exergen should never be off.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Spit and your flesh is the cheapest and the best and you always have it with you ...........not talking about a mouthful, just some on the tip of your finger kind of spit LOL if you put a little spit an the head and it instantly sizzles and jumps off at u its a little to alot to warm, if you spit on it and it sits there and sizzles a little and kinda steams away your real close(mid 200's)...... if it just sits there and slowly steams a little and doesnt really go anywhere lean it out a little. i know i know sounds stupid but it works, just get it to where the motor cleans out and the spit doesnt jump back off as soon as you put it on there..... after awhile you will get the hang of it and not have to go beg borrow steal or worry about another chinese temp gun. and when u get better just start using ur fingers w/o the spit , its not that hard....... u get used to it u can tune any motor
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sylvain
I have used many different brands of temp guns and all of them don't show the same readings or accuracy.

What brand or model do you use? How accurate is it?
Tuning by Temp is a POOR way of tuning.. Most everyone on this board knows this.. If I use a temp gun, it is only to see where it is at, and never to set the tune with..
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

2.60$.... I'm skeptic...
Those guns SUCK!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

I'll not pay 250$ for a temp no matter how accurate it is! LOL

I only use temp gun once and a while, only to check if temp is not too high or low. I don't tune my engine with a temp gun.
Especially NOT for a toy... I use the O'Donnell and had if the 3 years and thats it. I tune to that and feel. $250 for a temp naaaa.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

20.00 12V PID and thermocouple if you want cheap and accurate.

Not laser instant, but accurate to whatever the thermocouple will register.

Mount on your starter box, wire in to battery, boom.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use a radio shack infrared thermometer. Its been good so far. Don't tune with it. Just use it to backup your tune.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Believe it or not I bought one of those cheap duratrax ones for like 20 bucks about 5 years ago and it's still is spot on. I've checked it against many high end guns and it's still within a few degrees! I'm not saying it's the best one to buy but to just use it once in a while, it's the best bang for your buck in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Especially NOT for a toy... I use the O'Donnell and had if the 3 years and thats it. I tune to that and feel. $250 for a temp naaaa.
Hey take a peek at your toy and I bet there's 1.5-2k rolling around the track in that toy. Next take a quick tally the next time you go to the track and add up what is sitting in your pit. The last time I did that I was shocked. Idk if that quite qualifies as toys but I know what you mean.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by casterdriver
Spit and your flesh is the cheapest and the best and you always have it with you ...........not talking about a mouthful, just some on the tip of your finger kind of spit LOL if you put a little spit an the head and it instantly sizzles and jumps off at u its a little to alot to warm, if you spit on it and it sits there and sizzles a little and kinda steams away your real close(mid 200's)...... if it just sits there and slowly steams a little and doesnt really go anywhere lean it out a little. i know i know sounds stupid but it works, just get it to where the motor cleans out and the spit doesnt jump back off as soon as you put it on there..... after awhile you will get the hang of it and not have to go beg borrow steal or worry about another chinese temp gun. and when u get better just start using ur fingers w/o the spit , its not that hard....... u get used to it u can tune any motor
BINGO! This all I do. Tune by feel, smoke, sound. After a run I do this just make sure its not crazy hot. As said, if the spit snaps and crackles your to hot, if it doesnt do much at all your to cold. A slow sizzle like bacon in a pan and your good to go!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
Hey take a peek at your toy and I bet there's 1.5-2k rolling around the track in that toy. Next take a quick tally the next time you go to the track and add up what is sitting in your pit. The last time I did that I was shocked. Idk if that quite qualifies as toys but I know what you mean.
I know how much it cost, but regardless of the price its still a toy. The only difference is, its an expensive toy that most of us grown men take way to serious. There is no one that can tell me or show me proof that a $250 temp gun is gonna help me win or help make my engine run longer. The hobby is expensive enough with out spend money on nonsense.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The choice ended on a Temp Gun PE1, cheap and accurate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.