Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nova p5xlt help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default Nova p5xlt help?

Hey guys, I just bought the new nova p5xlt. The break in when went fine, now I'm having a hard time finding the tune. I've been running the 053 pipe with odonnel 97t plugs. Random flames and change in the tune while running. Any suggestions or ideas would help. I had the old p5xl and it ran great for a long time but I can't seem to find the tune with the turbo plug. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Random flameouts and changes in tune while running usually indicate some sort of air leak. Check your fuel tank for leaks or crack and make sure there are no cracks in your fuel lines. As a precaution, I always seal my engines up at the backplate and base of the carb.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Torian4000
Random flameouts and changes in tune while running usually indicate some sort of air leak. Check your fuel tank for leaks or crack and make sure there are no cracks in your fuel lines. As a precaution, I always seal my engines up at the backplate and base of the carb.
I did just put a new fuel tank and fuel line on. I will try to seal the carb and backplate. It did backfire going down the staright then flamed. What would make it backfire?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TTT
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How much break in have you done? Sounds like its not broken in yet. With my P5 I would try to lean the high end out and it would flame down the straight(was still blowing a ton of smoke wasn't "too lean").

Ran it more and more and finally was able to lean it out.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Z
How much break in have you done? Sounds like its not broken in yet. With my P5 I would try to lean the high end out and it would flame down the straight(was still blowing a ton of smoke wasn't "too lean").

Ran it more and more and finally was able to lean it out.
It has about a gallon of break in time. It was flaming on the top just like you said. Maybe that's the issue. Any idea where your needles are set. Maybe I can get a close start. Thanks guys. The advice is much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by UncleStudweiser
It has about a gallon of break in time. It was flaming on the top just like you said. Maybe that's the issue. Any idea where your needles are set. Maybe I can get a close start. Thanks guys. The advice is much appreciated.

If you've ran a gallon it's not fully broken in yet, I'm not at home but I would start flush on both needles and make sure your idle gap is set properly, the last new p5xlt that I broke in took a little over two gallons before it broke in, you will know when it's broken in as the motor will super rich all of a sudden when your on the track, take your time breaking it in and you will be rewarded. I'm not saying you have to putt around for two gallons but it needs to be a little rich or about 85-90 percent race tune to get the proper lubrication.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I broke in a powerhouse p5 for a buddy of mine a few months ago and idk where the needles ended up but when I am in doubt I reset back to stock and then retune. His p5 came box stock with LSN 4 1/4 turns out and HSN 3 1/2 turns out. I hope that helps. It does sound like theres an air leak.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

I sealed everything up last night and I will reset the needles. Test and tune day on saturday. Thank you guys for all the help. I will keep you informed. All input is welcome and appreciated. Any other ideas, please keep them
coming.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not too sure about my needles but sounds like your on the right track by resetting the needles. Good advice frank, best of luck with the motor
Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Twice now the car has backfired... Once on the starter box and once going down a straight. What would cause that?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Maybe you are getting some predetonation. Could be a head shim issue.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Could be

The new p5's come shimmed at .80 for 30% nitro fuel. I would put a .10 shim in place of the .20. The thinner of the shims installed. there is two alluminum shims that are .30 each, and one brass shim that is .20 tock. So changing the .20 should help.

The top end should be flush and then tune the bottom end to fit. you could need to turn the idle down and lean the bottom end a bit. If the bottom is fat to compensate for the high idle, that could load it up in the turn, then when you hit full throttle there is too much fuel already in the engine and can flame....Usually during late break in when the idle drops because the engine fattens up....
Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

if you are running 30% , shimming works very well , every pipeset makes different needle settings but a good base starting point is 4.25 on low speed
( pull slide barrel out when adjusting) and 3.75 on high speed , idle .75 turns out from just closed ( restrictor out )

the p5xlt is a very nice running engine with much room for improvement over stock , the long low speed needle carb is the tricky part but not impossible , just another learning curve
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by houston
if you are running 30% , shimming works very well , every pipeset makes different needle settings but a good base starting point is 4.25 on low speed
( pull slide barrel out when adjusting) and 3.75 on high speed , idle .75 turns out from just closed ( restrictor out )

the p5xlt is a very nice running engine with much room for improvement over stock , the long low speed needle carb is the tricky part but not impossible , just another learning curve
What plug would you recommend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.