Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which 4wd Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Could any of you see a difference in handling between belt and shaft?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The main thing I noticed was that the acceleration for the SB was blistering, really up there.

As for handling, I don't have the vehicle setup right so I can't comment. I hope to get a setup dialed down in the next two weeks.

Word though from XX-4 drivers who have tried the XXX-4 is that the XX-4 handles better than the XXX-4, reason why there is alot of interest in the X-5 conversion for it. If you want a Losi vehicle that handles the best, the XX-4 is probably it. As far as acceleration of the losi vehicles, the XXX-4 is it.

Best of both worlds for losi vehicles is probably the X-5 conversion.

For me as I prefer shaft drive, the SB is the best for me.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Over here in the UK, when a lot of people went from the XX-4 to the XXX-4, they were very dissapointed, but, now they have worked on the car, it is on par with the XX-4, just if you strip a belt, it don't take an hour to change now.

As for handling, from the feeling I am guessing, is the SB can be driven VERY hard with the back end drifting and sliding the right amount, where the XXX-4 likes to be inline, but that is probably more a characteristic of the car, not drivetrain platform.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

I'm still backing the Yokomo. Its bullit proof and once you get it dialed, it works insane. That's the problem, a lot of guys don't bother to find the sweet spot oon the car. Just run 25w oil in the yok and it will work on most tracks. Either way, any 4wd buggy will just add to the pot and we'll all have more fun. Also the XX4 is a great older buggy and works great, people just hated working on it, but Cyrul's company is coming out with a single belt conversion soon; looks promising. I personally prefer belts, less torque stear. Since you'll probably be running a low turn mod motor in a 4wd, torque stear can be a problem (I said "can".) Good luck.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, I'd go Yokomo, but the parts support around me for Yokomo isn't good...
Old 07-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

As nice as the BJ concepts car is- I can buy 2 complete other models...for the same price or less

I could buy the tc3 factory team kit + the TC3 "o" conversion kit -I would get the same car as the BJ concepts and I would pay less

I could just deal with it and just begrudgly go back to losi and buy the XXX4 and a few extra parts or 2 xx-4s with the X-5 conversion- (that 'll be xx-4s please) Losi does have the best 4wd cars. But I wont that again.

I could buy three sb sports. gotta remember to throw away all the potmetal-(I still like my sports-No belts!)

Could I be daring and buy a couple gravel hounds? Wonder how many bushings are on this car...

Cant forget about the yokomo-awesome car-terrible parts support here in san diego

Just how many people can afford the durango?

all I know is that anyone who wants to get into 4wd buggy really has a lot of options. So get out there and buy your 4wd today!

Last edited by threeEwes; 07-01-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:57 AM
Tech Legend

yeah, thats the nice thing about 4wd right now, more options. Who knows, AE may decide to make an official kit for next year!

I think Academy may look into releasing there Pro model sooner than Winter as the interest in the vehicle is pretty high.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Guys.

Well i should have my MR4-BC Special in about 2 weeks hopefully.

This car just won the Australian National Titles against a hoard of xxx4 G+'s, In fact i am 99% sure this was the only special the was racing. That has started to change though as people see that it is a great kit.

Anyways i have always been a AE & Yokomo guy. I am really impress with the spec level of the new yok right out of the box.

Glenn

Australia
Old 07-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Glenn,

Matt's Performance at the nationals was pretty awesome with the Yokie, well its a pretty awesome job to clean sweep 2wd and truck as well.
For the price of the Yokie, it is an awesome machine. The only real thing that threw me away was the fact that it doesn't have a slipper, throwing spurs and diffs really isn't my cup of tea. I know that you can ajust the rear diff, but i would rather less pain and jump on the shaft drive band wagon.
The Yokie comes fully decked out with all the options you could think of, that means no upgrades to be hard on the pocket, just a few spare arms and shock towers.
Go the Yokie
Old 07-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just what is the X5 conversion and is there a picture of it?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

The x5 is a conversion kit for the XX4 that when it assembled on the XX4 it converts the standard XX4 3 belt drive system to 1 belt drive system (just like the XXX4). The advantage the XX4 has over the XXX4 is that it handles better than the XXX4.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Guys.

yeah Andrew that was one issue i had with it,

But we are working out a way to graft something in there, it looks like the MX4 unit will work.

Glenn
Old 07-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Check out the X - 5 conversion, and all 4WD at www.4wdrc.com . The site has news, results, readers' rides, and an active forum for all 4WD enthusiasts from all over the world.

The X - 5 will be shipping in less than a week.

You can find a XX-4 on E-bay for less than $100, and the X - 5 is $229. It has proven to be the best of both cars: handles just like a XX-4 and accelerates like a XXX-4.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

...for xx4 ($100) and X-5 conversion ($229) $329

Might as well get the XXX4.

The parts availability for the XX4 is getting more and more difficult. All my LHS dont carry parts for the XX4. That was one of the reasons I finally let mine go.

The diehards that keep their XX4 thats cool too. Just dont expect losi 4 years from now to continue to have parts available for the XX4.

Good luck with X-5
Old 07-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Tech Legend

At one time the price for the conversion was 169 shipped I believe.

I agree on the parts supply issue, one reason I decided to look more into a current vehicle, but that is no reflection on what I thought of the XX-4 as far as how it handled. It was an awesome 4 wheeler for its time and i am glad that an update is there. Maybe losi should have done that instead of the one size fits all aproach?

The Academy SB is still shaping up to be a very affordable kit even if you decide to upgrade it alot. I can't wait to see what price they put the Pro level one at. One thing I hope they do is look into testing the chassis trimming for more droop thing that I saw on www.raceacademy.net

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.