Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what do u guys think of side winder fuel? >

what do u guys think of side winder fuel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what do u guys think of side winder fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have u tried o donnel, if so is the motor as clean or with byron?
Originally Posted by blktransam
I ran the red stuff for 2 years with zero issues..but I am one of them people that opens up my engines every gallon or two to check everything out and clean the carbon off the top of my pistons...never had any issues with the red stuff, once the purple stuff came out I jumped to nitrotane again no issues with tuning...

I am from IOWA which is where byrons is made I loved the original yellow fuel but hated the gen2 when it first came out...have not tried it since been a couple years...
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wantboost
It is very good Fuel. It is clear. and dont get too close the fumes will make you cry like a little girl.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Fantastic life..............for engiine.

I been using it over 10 years..............never had any issues..........

Many said the fuel is dirty ! Yeah..........it contains lots of castor in it So it it dirtier which I agree. All you have to do is strip and wipe it down. It can easily be remove.

But the extra lubrication gives your engine very very good protection in the long run.

My engine last more than a year in so many a main finals which I completed in a monthly basis.

Double Thumbs up !

Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

In the end, I would try every kind that you can find at your hobby shop, and see what works best. The important thing is that you can get fuel from your local hobby shop which works for you. My LHS stocks blue thunder and byron's. I went through a gallon of the blue thunder 20%. It wasnt bad, but i started running byron's 25/11, and my buggy hits a whole higher octave. I can also get byron's fuel for $29 a gallon at my LHS which is AWESOME.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

have u tried odonnell?

Originally Posted by Danny Teh

Many said the fuel is dirty ! Yeah..........it contains lots of castor in it So it it dirtier which I agree. All you have to do is strip and wipe it down. It can easily be remove.

But the extra lubrication gives your engine very very good protection in the long run.

My engine last more than a year in so many a main finals which I completed in a monthly basis.

Double Thumbs up !h

Old 10-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

My LHS doesnt sell O'donnell, and ive never tried it. I cant speak for it if ive never tried it, but i have heard good things about it. Like I said get whatever works best for you that you can get at your LHS, because hazmat shipping charges are stupid. Byron's and O'donnell are probably the two best out there, and you will find racers at your local track driving both.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

If you can, get the purple (Team Strike.) I managed to gain about 2.5 hours on top and 3-4 hours bottom with the strike vs world blend and running about 30 degrees cooler.

I don't think it's the best break in fuel but it works great once you are close to completing the break in.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

tunes easy, good smoke, leaves internals red. no major lifespan issues, just tune so there is always good smoke out of the pipe and any/all motors with any fuel will last a long while. 1/2 tank idle? re-break-in a motor to new fuel? never heard of that, the motor does not know it is different fuel, just re-tune from the rich side and you're set.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

i started with sidwinder went to byrons and now COLD FUSION 30% MAJIC let me tell u i found my new fuel
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wantboost
Do not go and just try any every fuel at the LHS.

O' Donnel, Sidewinder, Byrons are all top shelf fuels. Remember that each fuel and even blends within the same company require an adjustment to tune.

Alittle dye is not going to hurt the engine period. I have switched to Sidewinder Team-purple from long time use of odonnell and havent looked back in a year.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Only down side to sidewinder is the insane smell once you get hit by some fumes. This has been rectified somewhat with strike, but still worse than any other fuel.

As for the o'donnell, if it didn't stain every clear plastic piece yellow I would love it.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I used sidewinder for one gallon and switched back to byrons. I do like it because i dont have to do after run with it. But i dont like the mess inside my motor.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Danny Teh

Double Thumbs up !

WAH.........Bro you also here ah?

I switch to Sidewinder from Trinity and what I know is I need to lean the top and low and it really run "COOLER".......No problem on my engine and quite easy to tune too
Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by secretsg
Only down side to sidewinder is the insane smell once you get hit by some fumes. This has been rectified somewhat with strike, but still worse than any other fuel.

As for the o'donnell, if it didn't stain every clear plastic piece yellow I would love it.
LOL I think you are the first person that I've heard that doesn't think O'donnell is the worst smelling, eye burning fuel on the planet.. I use O'donnell when my supplier is slow to get my sidewinder in, and my eyes and nose always thank me when I get my Sidewinder back in.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

I used to run O Donnell. I hated it. It seemed like every gallon I bought was different and needed retuned. I would emtpy one gallon at the track and switch to a different one and the tune would be off. When I am marshaling and a car goes past me running O Donnell, I cringe of the smell. lol. I hate it.

I switched to Byrons and loved it! Never no issues. Tuning was very easy with it. No problems at all.

Now I'm running SideWinder. Love it! Tunes easy, temps are low. No problems at all. I think Byrons burned cleaner, just my opinion, but I do like SideWinder very well. Byrons or SideWinder are my votes.

Now, I'm going to give Werks Fuel a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.