Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newb Question-

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mongob
Not sure how much I will like tinkering.... time is my enemy.... sad part of having a job.
I own a construction business and I still find time to tinker. Don't think you'll never have to is all I'm saying. Proper maintenance is what keeps these things from breaking every run.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Do-Over
I'm assuming your wanting to bash with the choices you've listed. If I can give you one piece of advice it's to spend a week reading forums and trying to get a grasp of this before you jump right in. You can learn a lot with very little research.
Yeah I have been doing that.... When I was last in this hobby the original RC10 was still king... lol I am way out of touch.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

yeah but you still have the basics on how to do some stuff. From running back then
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Do-Over
I own a construction business and I still find time to tinker. Don't think you'll never have to is all I'm saying. Proper maintenance is what keeps these things from breaking every run.
Dont get me wrong, I will take care of my stuff. What I was concerned of was the ratio of time. If I have to do 1/2 hour of maintainable for 1 hour of run time its too much. If I have to do 1/2 hour per afternoon thats a whole different ball of wax and very reasonable.
Tech Addict

I was the same way. I had a Rustler about 8 years ago and just got back in about 6 months ago, let me tell you from experience, do some research ahead of time.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by stallen50
yeah but you still have the basics on how to do some stuff. From running back then
Yes but nitro was still new and fringe when I got out. Thats why all the questions.

BTW- Thanks to all for the prompt and helpfull replies.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Dont get me wrong, I will take care of my stuff. What I was concerned of was the ratio of time. If I have to do 1/2 hour of maintainable for 1 hour of run time its too much. If I have to do 1/2 hour per afternoon thats a whole different ball of wax and very reasonable.
It varies, if you keep up on maintenence most of the time you can run all day without touching a thing, but sometimes, you will get an unlucky day.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Default nitro

Yes but nitro was still new and fringe when I got out. Thats why all the questions.

BTW- Thanks to all for the prompt and helpfull replies.
nitro is my fav. but that's just what i like, but nitro is no were near as bad as it was 14 or 15 year's ago.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks, I was a bit affraid of nitro because I dont want a hobby I have to tinker with endlessly, I just want to go out and drive. But I hate the idea of always waiting for batteries to charge.
i came from the old electrics when i got into nitro (ran rc10 graphite years ago). And i will be honest with you. The learning curve is steeper then you think. At least it was for me. I got a mugen, and my sole reason was because i wanted to put one together like we used to have too. Now everything is factory assembled except the race kits. They are highly tunnable pieces of engineering. It took me (well i am still learning) about 6 months to get everything right. And that is not really taking into account engines with breakin and tunning. There is so many things that have a huge part in performance: Gear mesh, clutch, car setups, servos, the right plugs, the right fuel, the right pipes, the right tires, brakes, diffs. How to use my m11, how to airbrush, how to clean and maintain my car. Matter of fact i have been doing this 2 years and i just realized a couple months ago that i was doing my shocks wrong. I was on this board asking questions (see my post count?) on just about everything. And i still made many pitfalls just because i lacked expierience. There is alot of little tricks that you learn over time that can save you frustration and money.

And buy all means, it's a very rewarding hobby and i love it. But if you deciede to race as i like to do, there will be some frustrating times. One of my last races, everything was fine in my first 2 heats, when it was time for the main i broke a clutch spring and had a hanging shoe after just one lap. couple races before that, i dnf'ed because of a broken bulkhead when i did a Jacki chan off a double. It has also been very expensive (for me anyway).

I will say that the 2 biggest things i am finding out to be the most important and always have to have in top shape is a good engine with a good tune and tires. Forget about all the after market goodies and save your money for parts that wear, good tools, tires and engines/rebuilds.

i suspect that there is alot of people that make the same mistakes when they start out, so ask alot of questions. When i finally got everything together, and was ready to start my car for the first time, i looked at my starter box and my glow ignitor and was like, how the hell is it supposed to start my car

Oh, i will also add, be wary of LHS (not saying anything about your lhs), i have had some guys sell me the wrong stuff just to make a sale. I actually had a guy try to sell me a metal shielded front engine bearing for my off road engine (big time no no). You will get guys selling you the wrong pipes for motors. Fact is, places like RCtech is a good place to go to if you need a solid answer, because you will get several opinions and most will lead you in the right direction. BTW, i am not in anyway saying anything negative about your lhs but some around here are looking out for numeral uno. It's a very tight industry in hard times with little money to be made. So be smart with your $$$$

and buy hitec servos. Just trust me on that

good luck!!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default servo

buy jr. 9100's please they are the best