Tech Initiate

Default mugen mbx6 or losi 8 2.0

please help
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a.howard
please help
Go to the track and drive a friends, both are good cars depending on your driving style. Also check with the hobby shops and see what parts they carry.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

which do you have parts/setup support for at the track?

there is no best buggy........JMO
Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
which do you have parts/setup support for at the track?

there is no best buggy........JMO
+1, no sense in getting a fancy buggy if your lhs/track doesn't have parts for it.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From a sheer cost standpoint the Losi 8 can't be beat. The parts are very cheap and plentiful on ebay and you'll save hundreds by shopping online vs LHS. Go to your LHS for glow plugs and fuel, everything else buy online. Many parts can be had for $.99, just be sure to pick up spares just in case. Mugen has 1/4 of the available parts and tend to go for more money. It gets worse the further down the list you go.

Take for example the front and rear shock towers on a race roller 8ight 2.0. At my LHS they are $35/ea for a total of $70 + tax and whatever it cost me to drive there in gas (roughly $20 in fuel + wear and tear on my vehicle). I bought a brand new set on ebay for $35 shipped to my door via Priority Mail. For a total savings of roughly $70. Thats just an example, but the savings add up quickly. Had there been fewer shock towers on ebay it would have costed substantially more, as you have more people bidding on fewer items. But due to the fact people know that another auction is right around the corner or many times another is ending within the hour they pass by and bid on the next part. This is how you save money in an expensive hobby.

Stuff like A-Arms, Wings, Wing Mounts, Fuel Tanks, Diffs, Servo Arms, Screw Sets, etc are all things you can stock up on cheaply in the beginning and keep with you just in case.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Locum51
+1, no sense in getting a fancy buggy if your lhs/track doesn't have parts for it.

Wrong. I have a mugen and the only thing my lhs carries is clutch springs. But i never have to worry about getting parts. Why? because ordering on line these days is fast and cheaper then buying at the hobby shop anyway.

i have at least one spare of everything and 2 and 3 of the parts i go through fast. You can get a whole drive train off ebay for about 120$ a whole front end for like 50 bucks and a rear for about 20$ get a fuel tank, clutch, shocks and a spare chassis or ebay and your set.

getting a buggy because the lhs has parts for it is a bad reason to choose a car. Only 1 other guy with a mugen at my local track, the rest is pretty much losi and a handfull of AE. I love my buggy and will be mugen for life!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
Wrong. I have a mugen and the only thing my lhs carries is clutch springs. But i never have to worry about getting parts. Why? because ordering on line these days is fast and cheaper then buying at the hobby shop anyway.

i have at least one spare of everything and 2 and 3 of the parts i go through fast. You can get a whole drive train off ebay for about 120$ a whole front end for like 50 bucks and a rear for about 20$ get a fuel tank, clutch, shocks and a spare chassis or ebay and your set.

getting a buggy because the lhs has parts for it is a bad reason to choose a car. Only 1 other guy with a mugen at my local track, the rest is pretty much losi and a handfull of AE. I love my buggy and will be mugen for life!
Such bad advice. That's precisely why local tracks are disappearing. Most people get into the hobby by visiting the LHS. People want to see the actual products they are buying. Even if the local track isn't run by the LHS, it still gets a lot of indirect support from being there to sell stuff when needed. Good luck getting those parts off ebay when you need them for the following morning.

If you think that your race entry fees cover the true operating costs of a track, you are sorely mistaken. A lot of clubs with lower race fees rely on volunteer help to build and maintain tracks. They would not survive if you had to pay the track crew.

Look, you can get a lot of good, legit deals on ebay. No question about it. But keep in mind that you're leaning on other local racers to support the local racing program. It's the local racers buying from the LHS that keeps the racing scene alive, not the ebay and mail order buyers. If every racer buys from ebay and mail order, then the local track scene falls apart and everyone loses.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Such bad advice. That's precisely why local tracks are disappearing. Most people get into the hobby by visiting the LHS. People want to see the actual products they are buying. Even if the local track isn't run by the LHS, it still gets a lot of indirect support from being there to sell stuff when needed. Good luck getting those parts off ebay when you need them for the following morning.

If you think that your race entry fees cover the true operating costs of a track, you are sorely mistaken. A lot of clubs with lower race fees rely on volunteer help to build and maintain tracks. They would not survive if you had to pay the track crew.

Look, you can get a lot of good, legit deals on ebay. No question about it. But keep in mind that you're leaning on other local racers to support the local racing program. It's the local racers buying from the LHS that keeps the racing scene alive, not the ebay and mail order buyers. If every racer buys from ebay and mail order, then the local track scene falls apart and everyone loses.
+1000
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

but because of the kicked up prices not everyone can afford to pay so much, also

to that post about parts not being at the shop. i live 3 hours atleast from a hobby shop that is decent enough to stock xray parts... im not driving there for a set of a-arms...
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

What kind of advice is flowing on this thread?? You guys giving advice to not purchase from a LHS/Track are the first to complain that there are not enough or no good tracks/shops in your area. Where the hell would you drive/race if no one purchased from shops at the track. It is always the best move when purchasing a new buggy to check out what is supported by parts and "know how" at your local track. You cant go wrong. There is nothing worse than packing up for the weekend, driving to your local track, breaking some piddly ass part... and the shop or no one racing has the parts to help you out. There is always several brands at each track that have a good following. Take a look at your track and ask around there. I'm sure you will be able to make a good choice this way.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

bad advice for who? It's just another point of view. You can either pay out the A$$ for a part that MIGHT be there, or order them amain, ebay etc. I always try ebay first and if they don't have it i order from a online shop.

I am broke alot of the times. If my lhs is selling a transponder for 120$ and i can get it for 90 bucks with free shipping i am going with the latter. No because i don't want to support my lhs, but because am broke. For everything else bearings, oils, fuel, tires (if they have the right ones), filters, glow plugs etc, i get it at the lhs. I help with the track also.

The fact is my lhs just does not have alot of the things i need, doesn't matter what car it is.

For instance, i needed a servo save pipe because mine was cross threaded. Well he ordered it and when i picked it up it was 26$! Dude that is insane, no matter how you slice it. I can get the whole servo saver, servo saver shafts, anckorman, top plate, tie rods and ends, bearings, and ball studs for about 15$ off ebay.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Support the LHS, hell I get parts and things online, but this hobby is dead with out them.

BUT

If your LHS dont stock what YOU want, then handle your business, most hobby shops will order anything you need.

With that said: LOSI
Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dookiman
What kind of advice is flowing on this thread?? You guys giving advice to not purchase from a LHS/Track are the first to complain that there are not enough or no good tracks/shops in your area. Where the hell would you drive/race if no one purchased from shops at the track. It is always the best move when purchasing a new buggy to check out what is supported by parts and "know how" at your local track. You cant go wrong. There is nothing worse than packing up for the weekend, driving to your local track, breaking some piddly ass part... and the shop or no one racing has the parts to help you out. There is always several brands at each track that have a good following. Take a look at your track and ask around there. I'm sure you will be able to make a good choice this way.
No. i support my local hobby shop first, but i have gotten messed over because some have tried to sell me somthing promising it was what i needed. Fact is, he just needed to sell it. I had a guy try to sell me a metal shielded front engine bearing, saying they were better. Never heard of that so called a friend of mine and he said that was a on road engine bearing and it will destroy my offroad engine. I have been sold wrong battery packs and chargers just because they wanted the sale.

It goes both ways.

I support my lhs, but i am not a fool. Token is right, this hobby would be dead without them. But cmon, there is limits and there is also exceptions. If the lhs has great support and are good people then that is the exception. I don't have that option around here.

ETA,
Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Agreed.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Mugen

Mugen......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.