Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fusion Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, here is my car ready to go tomorrow in my first fusion powered race. New cells, new car, bring em on.

Good job VRC John, you da man.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Fusion Batteries-ready-go.jpg  
Old 04-24-2005, 01:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Very nice Chris ...-JB
Old 04-24-2005, 05:51 AM
jag
Tech Master

I am new to electric racing so as a part of my education I was told I needed to "maintain" my batteries which includes discharging them after a run so I purchased a Novak Smart Tray. I was told to cycle my (2) 4 cell Fusion packs last night to be ready for Sunday. So I did... sort of. I put the first pack on there and it got very hot very quick, like 30 seconds, and the lights went out right away. I was concerned but I know that batteries get hot when discharged and 1 of the packs was low. So I put the second pack on there and the same thing happened except that one of the cells erupted (that is the best discription of what happened) and made a big mess all over my bench. Now I know that 1 of the packs was almost fully charged because my main was rained out last week and my car was ready. It looks like the same cell on both packs was damaged, 1 much wosre than the other. I'm really pissed because these packs are/were awesome.

I'm sure they were in there right and it was set for .9v. What did I do wrong?

Thanks
jag
Old 04-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

did u line all the cells on the smart tray cortly
Old 04-24-2005, 07:00 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally posted by TC4_HALO2_Mark
did u line all the cells on the smart tray cortly
I put them in as stated in the directions with the "-" in the bottom left and all 4 cells in a row.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

then i donno
Old 04-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jag
[B]I am new to electric racing so as a part of my education I was told I needed to "maintain" my batteries which includes discharging them after a run so I purchased a Novak Smart Tray. I was told to cycle my (2) 4 cell Fusion packs last night to be ready for Sunday. So I did... sort of. I put the first pack on there and it got very hot very quick, like 30 seconds, and the lights went out right away. I was concerned but I know that batteries get hot when discharged and 1 of the packs was low. So I put the second pack on there and the same thing happened except that one of the cells erupted (that is the best discription of what happened) and made a big mess all over my bench. Now I know that 1 of the packs was almost fully charged because my main was rained out last week and my car was ready. It looks like the same cell on both packs was damaged, 1 much wosre than the other. I'm really pissed because these packs are/were awesome.

I'm sure they were in there right and it was set for .9v. What did I do wrong?

Jag- Can you post some pics of the tray, and pack(s) also maybe how you had them aligned on the tray. It almost sounds like the pack got shorted out on something. I had that happpen in a race 3 weeks ago my battery was shorting out on my ESC heatsink and one of the cells popped.

Chris- your car is very nice!
Josh
Old 04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post Jag !!

One thing that you might do is make it a habit to discharge your paks prior to putting them on the novak tray ... This will ensure that you don't have a full charged pak .. other then that sounds like a short as mentioned ... hope you get everything sorted out ..
Old 04-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

New fusion cells, new car, TQ and A-main win = Priceless.

Thanks John, those puppies were strong.

Would you believe I got 4860 Mah on charge with my final cells? I was temp charging to 115F. I was coming off the track with 100 seconds left, those things weren't even breaking a sweat.

In 4 cell 12th stock we were lapping about .2 of a sec slower than 19T sedan (6 cell).

Chris.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

here is my mission with fusion that got me in the As in stock
Attached Thumbnails Fusion Batteries-hpim0587.jpg  
Old 04-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Originally posted by crimson eagle
New fusion cells, new car, TQ and A-main win = Priceless.

Thanks John, those puppies were strong.

Would you believe I got 4860 Mah on charge with my final cells? I was temp charging to 115F. I was coming off the track with 100 seconds left, those things weren't even breaking a sweat.

In 4 cell 12th stock we were lapping about .2 of a sec slower than 19T sedan (6 cell).

Chris.
AWESOME Chris -JB
Old 04-25-2005, 06:13 AM
jag
Tech Master

Default Re: Jag !!

Originally posted by mb racer
One thing that you might do is make it a habit to discharge your paks prior to putting them on the novak tray ... This will ensure that you don't have a full charged pak .. other then that sounds like a short as mentioned ... hope you get everything sorted out ..
I figured it out... I'm a dumbass. I had the pack in wrong. How can you tell if the cells are still good? I know one of my packs has a bad cell because it blew up but how can I tell if the others are still good?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

jag,

cycle them very carefully, if they cycle ok, then you may be able to use them for a while but I'd still guess you have shortened the life and reduced the performance quite considerably.

Chris
Old 04-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

good job chris I though you might like those cells.

John
Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally posted by crimson eagle
jag,

cycle them very carefully, if they cycle ok, then you may be able to use them for a while but I'd still guess you have shortened the life and reduced the performance quite considerably.

Chris
That's what I was afraid of. Is it worth replacing the one cell that went bad in one of my packs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.