Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dry Graphite Bad Choice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Dry Graphite Bad Choice!

Thursday night I was getting a few cars ready to race Sunday and saw a tube of dry graphite on my bench and used it to pac the wheel bearings on my fastest car . I used a old spindle and assembled a mock up to see how good it would work. I spun the wheel and it just kept spinning and I thought wow this stuff is great! As I was gualifying the car was doing great but it felt like I had to much brake drag and the engine was getting hot after qualifying I started to see what the &*^ was wrong forgetting I used graphite.Every thing seamed to be fine but I put a new clutch in just to make sure. In the main the car again was doing great but it started doing the same thing I let off the gas and it was like I was applying the breaks with out doing so. I was in second place with three minutes left in the main. It started missing and sounded like it was going to flame out I told my pit guy to fatten (richen)and splash it(shoot fuel on the carb to cool it) It did finish but the engine temp was a cool 335 degrees (ouch) When I got home I tore the car apart to find the problem and saw where my wheel bearings where tost! Don't think I'll use Graphite again!!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just use the graphite stuff on suspension components like the hinges, ball cups, etc. Better to use Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic on the bearings.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Dry graphite lube is what eduardo picco and michael salven use to lube the dogbones and universals with. Cause it reduces the wear and that red dust which appears in those parts. Its great for metal against metal moving parts. And it doesnt atract any dust. Hope this helps.

Regards from spain