Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just building my new 417X, and I've found that I can't seem to use a Tamiya v2 gear diff in the front when using the standard 1-piece 1C suspension mount in the front-rear position behind the front bulkheads, as the pully touches the mount. With the spool fitted, and 3.5mm of shims under the 1C mount (as per manual), there is a very small gap between them. If I try 4mm under the 1C mount, then the pulley touches.

I ran the v2 gear diff in the front of my 417, but I always used 1C split-mounts behind the front bulkheads. I wanted to try the 1-piece mount to start with, but it looks like I can only use the split-mounts with a front gear diff. Has anyone else come across this issue?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toon
Just building my new 417X, and I've found that I can't seem to use a Tamiya v2 gear diff in the front when using the standard 1-piece 1C suspension mount in the front-rear position behind the front bulkheads, as the pully touches the mount. With the spool fitted, and 3.5mm of shims under the 1C mount (as per manual), there is a very small gap between them. If I try 4mm under the 1C mount, then the pulley touches.

I ran the v2 gear diff in the front of my 417, but I always used 1C split-mounts behind the front bulkheads. I wanted to try the 1-piece mount to start with, but it looks like I can only use the split-mounts with a front gear diff. Has anyone else come across this issue?
How tight are the belts? If your running them loose, could try tightening up the tension a bit to help move the diff forward a little. Theres should be enough room to run an extra 1mm under the block though, although it's not something I've done too often.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default TRF Dampers

Hey does anyone know if there is a right or wrong way to assemble the Tamiya Racing Factory Dampers?

In the 417 Manual it shows: Spacer/ O-ring/ Large Spacer

...and in the TRF Damper package it shows: O-ring/ Spacer/ Large Spacer

Just curious, I bought a set for my old TC3 because they're so nice.
I couldn't find anything on this incase I get drilled for not looking
thanks,
-Brian
Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EM1-TC3
Hey does anyone know if there is a right or wrong way to assemble the Tamiya Racing Factory Dampers?

In the 417 Manual it shows: Spacer/ O-ring/ Large Spacer

...and in the TRF Damper package it shows: O-ring/ Spacer/ Large Spacer

Just curious, I bought a set for my old TC3 because they're so nice.
I couldn't find anything on this incase I get drilled for not looking
thanks,
-Brian
small spacer/oring/large
Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hotdognobun
small spacer/oring/large
haha, I do it the other way round... so the o-ring is closest to the hole in the shaft... each to their own really, I don't think it matters too much!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TryHard
haha, I do it the other way round... so the o-ring is closest to the hole in the shaft... each to their own really, I don't think it matters too much!
On the next rebuild i will try that set up! Have you tried the X rings o ring? after 10 packs i still get no leak or air in the shock! When do you reccomend maitanence?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hotdognobun
On the next rebuild i will try that set up! Have you tried the X rings o ring? after 10 packs i still get no leak or air in the shock! When do you reccomend maitanence?
Tbh, I hardly ever touch the bottom of the shocks. The only thing I've ever done is switch out for the blue o-rings (not tried the x-rings). Only thing I do to help these seal a little better is add a 0.2mm 4mm shim into the shock body. Puts a little bit of pressure onto the o-ring, and that helps to seal against the shaft better... no leaks for me on that. Can't remember the last time I switched out the o-rings mind! Still going strong with no leaks, or air

HiH
Ed
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

IIRC the manual says spacer oring spacer, I know the old black shocks come with a manual which says oring spacer spacer - Ed is pretty old school so he's probably still building his shocks the 414 way

I run kyosho now and the velvet shocks use 2 xrings and then the bottom spacer. They are the best shocks I've ever run and only need to be rebuilt when you want to change oil viscosity, so it might be worth trying on the tammy
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TRF Dampers...

Thanks guy so much! Will look into these o-rings and shims when it's time for a rebuild
Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigM
IIRC the manual says spacer oring spacer, I know the old black shocks come with a manual which says oring spacer spacer - Ed is pretty old school so he's probably still building his shocks the 414 way

I run kyosho now and the velvet shocks use 2 xrings and then the bottom spacer. They are the best shocks I've ever run and only need to be rebuilt when you want to change oil viscosity, so it might be worth trying on the tammy
Don't take my word on the shock building thing... this guy knows a few things too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sliCxsIZ3v4
(2:40 - O-ring/spacer/spacer )
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Tech Champion

Both ways work fine, I still have like 5 sets of TRF shocks and I'm pretty sure they are all built different
Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Just rebuilding my 417 and putting new shocks on it, have built it with Oring/Oring and spacer, feel smooth as. Used a blue oring and a clear oring, 2 blue orings made it too sticky on the shaft.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by barts71m
Just rebuilding my 417 and putting new shocks on it, have built it with Oring/Oring and spacer, feel smooth as. Used a blue oring and a clear oring, 2 blue orings made it too sticky on the shaft.
See how you go Scotty, I thought it took away grip. That was with 2 of the Muchmore blue orings when I tried it tho
Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

too sticky on the shaft.

Are you sure you are building shocks?

Are you watching the Jilles video or another video
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
See how you go Scotty, I thought it took away grip. That was with 2 of the Muchmore blue orings when I tried it tho
See how it goes, gotta get the rest of my parts first. Itching to give it a skid round though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.