Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Priority $30.99
Express $36.99
Damn... out of stock already. Let me know when you get a new batch.. :-)
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rogier
wow they are sure popular
Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We should have more next week!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When this chassis dominates the podium in nearly every big race it's hard to keep them in stock
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jamison R
none left. less than an hour.
For those who are still looking for some HPI Springs...

Tower Hobbies have just got some in stock, received the email about 5 min's back. Just finished ordering mine.

Hurry up before they are all gone

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJLH2&P=7
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads-up on the HPI springs!!! Mine are in the way.

Jilles has some good tips on his thread on the past ETS race
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

How do 3racing suspensionmounts compare to original Tamiya ones?
(quality-wise)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So, this past weekend I had a decent outing with the 7, tried a few more things from my last big posting (sorry Mr Smith, I know it was a long one! )

Anyway, managed to finish fourth in the end, tied on points with the guy in third. Pretty pleased with that, as it was a fair representation of my pace, was a little behind him pace wise, and just had better luck in the finals.

As for settings I ran through the following things;

I did try first out with the 4F/3R mm camber link shims, but the track wasn't quite there in the morning, so straight away went back to 5F/4R. Just better really... with hindsight this is something I should have looked to go back too later in the day, but ran out of runs!

1.5mm Ackerman spacer - certainly helped to calm the overall level of steering a little, and helped to make the steering more responsive in the quick flicks in the chicanes. Bare in mind however that I am running the front arms back (1mm behind) and with 1° sweep, so it's pretty close to using to 2.5mm when used with 1.5mm behind the arm, and no sweep (kit setting).

Static weight forward 0.5mm. Did this by changing the spacers on the arms to 0.5mm behind the front, and 3.5mm in front of the rear. I did make a mistake here however, as I also changed the Ackerman spacer to 1mm in compensation, whereas I should have changed only the wheelbase spacers. Whilst it felt fast, I couldn't drive it consistently enough, and had a weird steering fell. So I went back to as I had been running, and will add that to the list to try again.

Shock oil to Losi 45wt. Quite simply, the traction was massive, so I switched from the MM450 to the Losi as a way to stop the car pitching and rolling too fast. It worked to an extent, and was certainly less prone to flipping, but even then, I still had grip roll as the car tried to bind itself up in knots if I got too aggressive in the quick flicks. Keeping it smooth meant I could keep it on it's lid, but wasn't ultimately faster.

This has got me thinking about trying some other methods to shed traction. Looking at Jilles' setup from the Snowbirds (I know it's difficult to compare carpet with asphalt, but the traction on the track was very similar to high grip carpet) next time out I'm going to try again long on the camber links (hole 1 to 3), less link spacers (4F/3R), and less rear droop (5 to 5.5/6).

I also want to try shifting the static weight again, but this time by just moving the rear arms back (3.5mm in front of the arm), and as a slight left field am tempted to try out tamiya springs again, as well as make up a cross brace for the front suspension so I can run split blocks with the same stiffness as the one-piece... So only a few things to try

Regards
Ed
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
This has got me thinking about trying some other methods to shed traction. Looking at Jilles' setup from the Snowbirds (I know it's difficult to compare carpet with asphalt, but the traction on the track was very similar to high grip carpet) next time out I'm going to try again long on the camber links (hole 1 to 3), less link spacers (4F/3R), and less rear droop (5 to 5.5/6).

Have you tried playing with different tire sauces? Some are just too aggressive (Paragon, Jack, Buggy Grip, etc). My new philosophy is; if I show up with a good baseline setup, my car should be fairly quick. If it's traction rolling like crazy then I will work on the tires before anything else. If it only tractions rolls once in a while then I can focus on where it's traction rolling and adjust links from there. Just a thought.....
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ittjv
Have you tried playing with different tire sauces? Some are just too aggressive (Paragon, Jack, Buggy Grip, etc). My new philosophy is; if I show up with a good baseline setup, my car should be fairly quick. If it's traction rolling like crazy then I will work on the tires before anything else. If it only tractions rolls once in a while then I can focus on where it's traction rolling and adjust links from there. Just a thought.....
Been there already. Had been running t-cube I ha left over from TITC, but I switched to FX2 as that's pretty much what the two fastest guys are running.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
Been there already. Had been running t-cube I ha left over from TITC, but I switched to FX2 as that's pretty much what the two fastest guys are running.
A lot of the guys at ETS were using FX2 and it was not allowed , was quite funny watching Uwe Rhienard sniffing tyres before every run HAHA
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

LOL the snifster

regards Roy

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
A lot of the guys at ETS were using FX2 and it was not allowed , was quite funny watching Uwe Rhienard sniffing tyres before every run HAHA
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think FX2 is too aggressive for run-in tires and causes some overheat issues especially on asphalt...making the run inconsistent.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PizzaDude
How do 3racing suspensionmounts compare to original Tamiya ones?
(quality-wise)
Anyone, please?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PizzaDude
Anyone, please?
Bought some, but not using it right now. Same size, screw and hard ball in the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.