Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sorex or Take Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sorex or Take Off

Which are the best tires? WHy you think that way?
Old 06-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Both are excellent tires. Depending on your track one could be better or the same than the other. Here's a fact of the two; Sorex are lighter the Takeoffs(talking about the tires only).
Old 06-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

I run on an outdoor track that is smooth, has some medium straights and a real tight infield. And the temp runs in the !20 to 150 range. Also what about inserts
Old 06-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Take-Off...More affordable

Can actually afford some more good stuff after buying them (in my case, race fees)
Old 06-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

If the majority of racers at your track run TakeOff I would try those first. For inserts, the HPI line and the Sorex line work great for Sorex tires, for the TakeOffs I've run nothing other than TakeOff inserts. TakeOff also has a premounted tire set so you don't have to glue up any tires, just bolt them on and go. I thought I heard Sorex just releasing some premounts but not 100% sure on that.

Is this a parking lot track or a permanent outdoor track?
Old 06-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Titan Racing
I run on an outdoor track that is smooth, has some medium straights and a real tight infield. And the temp runs in the !20 to 150 range. Also what about inserts
Don't you race at Speedworld? Anyway, if the track is getting that warm then the Sorex 36 is the only way to go, the TakeOff 27's are good on a cooler track but can't take the higher temps.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I like to run Sorex, take-off and orion tires (repackaged sorex's). Both are very good if you use them in there correct temp range, From my experiance the sorex tires seem to give me an additional 2-3 packs of race track time before they seem to fall off, but thats where the differences stop. I'll take take-off tires any time, there included inserts are medium compound and work almost everywhere. Yes, Sorex's now have premounts too, I have yet to see any at the local shops.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

I hear JB inserts are good too.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by hobbipro
I like to run Sorex, take-off and orion tires (repackaged sorex's). Both are very good if you use them in there correct temp range, From my experiance the sorex tires seem to give me an additional 2-3 packs of race track time before they seem to fall off, but thats where the differences stop. I'll take take-off tires any time, there included inserts are medium compound and work almost everywhere. Yes, Sorex's now have premounts too, I have yet to see any at the local shops.
Orion tires are not "repackaged" Sorex's. All your hobby shop has to do to get premounted sorex tires is just order them from their U.S. distributor, www.speedworldraceway.com and they can have some.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

*cheap plug by Matt Howard* j/k

I use my CS-27's where everyone is using their Sorex 28's and my CS-32's where everyone is using the Sorex 36

Wanna see re-packaged Sorexes? Get some of the new Tamiya B tire (I think its called the B3) I heard those are just 36r's in a Tamiya box
Old 06-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AT our track both tires get run on the carpet. I find that the sorexs to be abit better only because they offer a softer tire. the sorex 20 while takeoff only goes as low as 22.

I personally run 4 sorex 24s with blue and green hpi inserts. Lifespan is longer with takeoffs but i just seem to find the sorex tires to offer more grip.

But i have had great luck with both brands in the past.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have never tried the Sorex but here in Austria we have the TakeOff CS 27 as controlled tire in our national Championships.
In my opinion it works best with the echo pink (low profile version) insert. I have also come to good results with the orion asphalt blue or the original (medium) insert.
For carpet I would recommend the JB-Foam inserts.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

They ARE both very good, it just depends on the track and that's it. How about u try them out 1st on a track and setup your car with it too.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by The Black Kat
*cheap plug by Matt Howard* j/k

I use my CS-27's where everyone is using their Sorex 28's and my CS-32's where everyone is using the Sorex 36

Wanna see re-packaged Sorexes? Get some of the new Tamiya B tire (I think its called the B3) I heard those are just 36r's in a Tamiya box
The new B3 is actually made by Ride, and thats straight from tamiya. They make the belted racing slicks tires for Tamiya from what I understand. Ride actually use to have some 26mm tires that looked exactly liek the older tamiya tires with big sidewalls. They even had the same temp ranges from what I remember hahaha.

-Sushi Boy
Old 06-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What are the best inserts to use with Sorex 32R in a high grip track, in warm conditions?
What about team bomber & yokomo 39M inserts?
Do you advise Hard wheels as Sorex's or softer like the proline's?

I have a race next week and we can only use Sorex 32R, so I need your help for the inserts,

Regards,

Hugo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.