Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simple Green Safe on Plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default Simple Green Safe on Plastic?

I'm doing a rebuild of my XXX bk2 and washing all the plastic parts. I'm considering using Simple Green to help get the dirt off, but I'm just a bit concerned that this stuff might no be safe on the plastic. The stuff makes tires sticky, and I'm concerned that the same property that "melts" the tires a little could harm the plastic. I used it on my chassis and it worked fine, but before I do the rest of the parts I want to check that it's safe. Of course the parts will look fine but does it weaken the parts or anything like that? I'm using the concentrated form, spraying it on, and then rinsing off the parts with water. Its completely disassembled so the water isn't getting on any metal parts.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've used simple green on my cars for years. I find it most effective mixed 50/50 and blown off with air. In heavy applications use a toothbrush to break up the dirt and then repeat. I haven't noticed any wear on the plastic parts at all.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I also use Simple Green then blast off with air. The way I do it is spray the simple green on then take a tooth brush and scrub to get all the dirt off. Then take a spray bottle with water and spray to just loosen the dirt Ive scrubbed and the simple green as well. Then blow it off with air compressor. Then I put light coat of WD-40 and poof looks like new.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

WD-40 is really much safer to clean your car with. I've seen Simple Green turn plastic to mush, and not thoroughly cleaning the moisture off of hinge pins and other metal parts can actually cause them to rust if you're not careful.

WD-40 is 100% safe on Losi plastic.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

WD-40 is a miracle product.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Simple Green works is a great all in one cleaner I use it on my buggy all the time.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
WD-40 is really much safer to clean your car with. I've seen

WD-40 is 100% safe on Losi plastic.
So what cleaner is 100% safe on HPI? if you don't mind me asking.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

I would use WD-40 on any type of plastic before I used Simple Green.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

I like wd 40 a lot, I freind of mine said if you use to much it gets under the ball cups and make them pop off, Im new to the rc thing
what do you guys think???

thanks
Dave Mac
Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Default WD-40 is safe on...

It's safe on:
Traxxas Plastic
AE Plastic
Losi Plastic
RPM Plastic

I'll ask my neighbor if it's okay on HPI plastic, he has an MT2...
Old 06-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

My experience with Simple Green has been all positive. I have used it on all kinds of plastics. The one thing you have to be careful about (as Aaron said) is that it can turn some plastics to mush.

I use undiluted 'industrial' Simple Green (see here) on offroad tires. It cleans them very well and has an added bonus of renewing that 'fresh from the package' stickiness.

I do use the industrial stuff on plastics, but rarely at full strength. I do not dilute it at a specific ratio, but a little will go a long way. If it is used full strength on plastic, make sure you rinse thoroughly with clean water. If you are concerned about rust, you can blast out some of the water with an air compressor or 'canned air' and then spray a small amount of WD-40 on the hinge pins and other rust-prone areas.

There is a ton of info at the Simple Green website. They do caution about using the product on 'resins' (a.k.a. plastic) ... but in my experience you should be safe as long as the plastic is rinsed well.

I like the fact that Simple Green is 'biodegradable' and non-flammable. You can check out the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) here.

I personally do not use WD-40 because of the flammability. See the MSDS here.

'nuff said,
MX4
Old 06-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

I've always used Simple Green on my off road tires. On top of being able to clean of some gnarly mud with ease it actually softens the tires and kind of acts as a traction additive. It can also help keep the tires from caking nearly as bad on the next run. I never use it full strength, and use a toothbrush or soft wire brush for bad areas.
WD40 has way too many problems. If you get it on a hot motor expect smoke, if not flames. Nevermind the stuff is noxious. At least the Green won't knock you out with nasty fumes. Yes it does smell though, Cleaner vs. noxious.

As far as plastic use a 4 to 1 ratio. 4 parts water to one part Simple Green (25% solution) it still cleans well and it isn't as hard on the plastic. Infact I used it on my all plastic Tamiya Super Shot with no "plastic melting". Again, make sure to rinse and dry the chassis afterward. WD40 also has a bad tendency to actually collect dust rather than repell it if you over use it, forcing you to have to clean more.

Last edited by wcoyote; 06-21-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info guys, I think Ill use WD-40 just to play it safe. as for the chassis I cleaned, it looks fine, but its cracked anyway so if it harmed it, it's not that big of a deal.

Hey Aaron Waldron, since you're a team driver do you think you could tell me if losi will replace my chassis? It cracked in a very strange place. It cracked in the back, the part that the battery strap slides under. Just for refrence I never used simple green on it before this happened. I think it cracked there because the battery strap is slightly too long and was a very tight fit when it was new. The battery strap had to flex a little so that I could get it on. I never bothered to sand it down though because it I didnt think it could harm anything. Here's a picture:

alink in case the picture doesnt come up http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286814771&idx=1
Old 06-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

AE racer - I don't think they'll replace that, it's not really a manufacturer defect. If you're worred about the crack splitting further, use some epoxy and 'fix' the crack.

The battery straps shouldn't be too long. If you wiggle the battery into the chassis the battery strap will fit in with very little force.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

This type of break on the Losi XXX chassis is actually quite common - and it will not affect the cars handling in any way. The rear shock tower will prevent the chassis from giving too much as well.

And no - they will not replace the chassis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.