Wiki Posts
Search

rear suspension arms binding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default rear suspension arms binding?

hi there,

i keep having this trouble with my back suspension arms binding on my losi 8ight 1.5 and not moving freely an dropping down when the shocks aren't attached.

i know it is caused by the hinge pin and suspension arm but it is ok once i clean it out but when i come to cleaning my car from a meeting they bind?

is there anything i can do to prevent this?

many thanks

lewis
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well if the arms have just a little bit of wear, they can let dirt in and bind also. If you can squeeze some small o-rings in around the pins where they meet the arms it may help.

Might be easier to start with fresh arms and mounts though.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

you will probely need new arms if i was u i would
Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Hi.

I've had the same problem on my buggy. In my case the metal suspension pins rusted a little. I removed the rust and put on a little bit of oil on the before refitting and I've no binding anymore.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Generally after every race weekend, I'll pull all of my suspension arms off, run a reamer through the holes in the arms, and buff my hinge pins with a Scotch-Brite pad. I've found that it's just a small coating of grime that causes my arms to bind a little. Doing this as part of my post-race cleaning routine keeps them moving smoothly.

I've also used a little dry graphite lube with good results. Check your local locksmith shop if you have trouble finding it elsewhere.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

get a bag of pipe cleaners and a can of pledge it'll be a huge investment at about $5 and better than anything on the market..... keeps everything moving freely in the most dusty conditions all day
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

another case could be the outer hinge pins are bent, or the hinge pin holder could be bent.I have never had a problem with arms that was not one of these problems.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

+1^
dirt is not going to keep your arms from falling without a shock attached, sounds like you have bent hingepins.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
get a bag of pipe cleaners and a can of pledge it'll be a huge investment at about $5 and better than anything on the market..... keeps everything moving freely in the most dusty conditions all day
great idea man!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

hi,

thanks for the replies.

i will have a look into bent hingepins but it has been happening for a few weeks. i give my car a good going over before each meeting. so i clean my car and check suspension movement, anything bent or broken.

and when i go to clean my car after a meeting the rear suspension arms are binding where as before the meeting they where moving fine.

could it be a mixture of dirt and oil from the exhaust because it only seems to be the suspension arm behind the engine and exhaust, i think it is the left rear suspension arm?

if the hingepins aren't bent then i will try that oring idea because i have some old losi shock orings.

many thanks

lewis
Old 09-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

O ring's or the little foams donuts don't do anything if you ask me, been there done that and it Didn't help. I feel some tracks dirt makeup is just more prone to making thing's bind up and squeak over a day/weekend of racing.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd rebuild the shocks and in the process completely clean ever thing and check if any of the shafts are bent even slightly. sometimes you can't tell just by looking at them I normally roll them on a table and you will know right away if they are bent. after that refill the shocks and check if they bind at all before installing them.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
O ring's or the little foams donuts don't do anything if you ask me, been there done that and it Didn't help. I feel some tracks dirt makeup is just more prone to making thing's bind up and squeak over a day/weekend of racing.
that is my problem. dirt gets in between the suspension arm and the hinge pin causing it to bind. i don't think it is a bent hinge pin because once i have cleaned the hingepin and the hole in the suspension arm in works fine.

i will try some new rear suspension arms and see how i get on

many thanks

lewis
Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Another thing to look at, when you secure arm holders/diff case together, just screw tight enough to close the diff case. You want to have a tiny, tiny bit of front to back play between the arm and the holders. If you screw them together too tightly, they will cause the arms to bind.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Another thing to look at, when you secure arm holders/diff case together, just screw tight enough to close the diff case. You want to have a tiny, tiny bit of front to back play between the arm and the holders. If you screw them together too tightly, they will cause the arms to bind.
hi there,

i will try that but there is a washer between the suspension arm and the rear hinge pin brace, should i remove the washer and see if that helps?

many thanks

lewis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.