Wiki Posts
Search

Mud Guards? Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Those black plastic guards that run along side of your chassis are called stone guards, not mud guards. The primary purpose is to help prevent rocks from getting flung off your tires and onto your chassis, which will cause major problems if it finds its way to your gear mesh or linkage. naturally they also help keep mud off your chassis also.
+1 not sure which u were talking about. the stone guards are a 100% need it keeps stuff in better condition and keeps rocks out of moving gears. Now rear arm mug guards are personal prefrence for like 7 bucks de makes them for almost every car and i wont run without them. They really just keep things cleaner and some say it makes axles and hub bearings last a bit longer.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

+ 1 De rear guards are worth the $7
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by blade954
+ 1 De rear guards are worth the $7
+2 I LOVE THEM!!!
i think it should be used...it protest rock and other stuff like that from getting into the rear shocks, CVD HUB and some times rear bearings...
plus it doesn't affect the car...well it's not noticeable i think...
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Add another ++ for the de mud guards. They keep the spinning parts a little cleaner.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Rookie

well you can do if you want but it dont make any different it will still get muddy
Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omarwashington
recently a couple of my friends took them off saying that they cause too much drag. I like them, they help protect rubber shock boots, rear hub bearings etc. I don’t plan on taking them off anytime soon

now that's pretty funny drag....

Originally Posted by thomasgoalie2
well you can do if you want but it dont make any different it will still get muddy
But instead of picking the dirt out of the rear arm webbing you can just give the guard a whack with a driver and the Whole Clump falls off.....Muddy is Muddy yes But the Guards keep thing's cleaner NO question's asked.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

My vote is yes depending on the conditions. Racing in Florida especially thru the rainy season track conditions are going to warrant them. I make my own and even run them on my chassis gaurds as well. I have seen some cut up old buggy bodies and run them inside truck bodies to help. You can take on alot of weight with all that build up on the arms and chassis.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC00434.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC00435.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC01185.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC01188.jpg
Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

++1 for the DE. I used to make my own, but the DE's are strong, and curved so they do not bind or bite into your body.

Mud is mud, if it is real mud! Take a look at Frank L's profile pic. You are not going to do anything about that type of mud. But, it is better (imo) to have that mud on the guards than on you shocks, cvds, and pivot points.

For regular "wet" conditions, I have tried spraying them with WD40 and Kal Gard "Prep and Shine" and that seems to help keep a lot of it from sticking (note: if you try the Kal Gard, make sure the body is off the car when you spray it, that stuff and lexan do not get along).

But for really sloppy mud, it is basically pick your poison and where you want the mud to collect.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If it's wet and muddy run 'em. No real point running them in the dry. . . . . i did run them when it was dry and it must have been a mental thing but to me it felt as when jumping the nose would go up more with em on (or more likely, i was still learning to drive the car as it was my first season n nitro offroad) . Daft i know but it's probably the mind playing tricks
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah i'm still undecided on wether to run them or not and wether to take them off my buggy or not. On one hand i can see them causing some drag, but how much drag is questionable. Also like i said before how much of that dirt or mud would just pass through instead of getting stuck to the guard?

Imo its too much to debate for a $6 part, so for now i'll just not run them and maybe take the set off my buggy to see if it flies any better the next time i can make it out to the track. I use shock socks so they don't collect much dirt as it is, but i'm just curious as to how much it protects the rear end. The track i run at doesn't have any loose rocks so its not a big deal either way.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Yeah i'm still undecided on wether to run them or not and wether to take them off my buggy or not. On one hand i can see them causing some drag, but how much drag is questionable. Also like i said before how much of that dirt or mud would just pass through instead of getting stuck to the guard?

Imo its too much to debate for a $6 part, so for now i'll just not run them and maybe take the set off my buggy to see if it flies any better the next time i can make it out to the track. I use shock socks so they don't collect much dirt as it is, but i'm just curious as to how much it protects the rear end. The track i run at doesn't have any loose rocks so its not a big deal either way.

does your track have a 500' straightaway ? Wind Drag is the last thing you should be worries about.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wing drag? Maybe not. But they sure do collect mud that would otherwise leave the car. They add weight, no question.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jwm2

this run them, even if the track is dry it still keeps the shocks and bearings cvd cleaner and, you never know when they water the track sometimes people can get overwelmed with it and causeing puddles .

now about drag its offroad not oval onroad racing lol.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
If it's wet and muddy run 'em. No real point running them in the dry. . . . . i did run them when it was dry and it must have been a mental thing but to me it felt as when jumping the nose would go up more with em on (or more likely, i was still learning to drive the car as it was my first season n nitro offroad) . Daft i know but it's probably the mind playing tricks

no its in your head your seeing things lol.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I had a set sitting in my box for a long time and then we got a lot of rain and i ran once one the track and the rear arms and shafts were covered with mud. have put them on and havent looked back ever since. Plus i think they keep things cleaner. Just have to wipe off the guard instead of getting inbetween the drive shaft and rear arms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.