Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Help Picking Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New Help Picking Motor

Hey, I'm new the the electric r/c world and I'm thinking about getting this kit: Tamiya TA05-VDF Item #84132 or the Tamiya TA05V.2 LP560-4 Super Trofeo
Item #58456.

It says I need a 540 motor but I dont know which one I need. I've been looking at esc and motors from Tekin but I'm not sure if thats what I need. What motor and batteries do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Depends are you going to race it or bash it? For racing a 13.5-17.5 would be good assuming you want brushless. If you want to just do speed runs on the street you could pick up something faster like a 8.5.

For most tracks the classes are:
Stock- 17.5
Super Stock- 13.5
Mod- 10.5 and down
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you plan to race it, you need to know what classes they run at your local track(s). Most common motor used right now would be probably be 17.5 brushless, which is used in both sportsman (no ESC timing advance) and is also used in 17.5 expert class (Open ESC)

The TA05 can be run in in the Tamiya championship series (TCS) in the GT2 class if you put a Tamiya "silver can" brushed motor in it (requires an brushed capable ESC).

13.5 Super stock class still exists here in Toronto, but most places have dropped it and just run the new ROAR classes. 17.5 with boosted ESCs has replaced 13.5 most places.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JDMRC
Hey, I'm new the the electric r/c world and I'm thinking about getting this kit: Tamiya TA05-VDF Item #84132 or the Tamiya TA05V.2 LP560-4 Super Trofeo
Item #58456.

It says I need a 540 motor but I dont know which one I need. I've been looking at esc and motors from Tekin but I'm not sure if thats what I need. What motor and batteries do you guys recommend?

Thanks
If you are just bashing look for a kit that has the motor and ESC included.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't really plan on racing because there is no local tracks in NC that I know of. I plan on just setting up some cones in a lot and playing around. So would this system be fine? Tekin# TT2153
Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JDMRC
I don't really plan on racing because there is no local tracks in NC that I know of. I plan on just setting up some cones in a lot and playing around. So would this system be fine? Tekin# TT2153
Where do you live? There is a really nice track on-road track in Goldsboro that I usually race at. I run the GT class that use silver can motors in touring cars, a really good option if you want to try and race cheaply.

http://www.glennshobbycorner.com/
Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If your NEW to RC cars-- I would recomend starting with a 21.5. This will be plenty fast enough to begin--and there's a LOT of racing out there using 21.5 motors and 0 timing esc's. Start there-- it's easy to upgrade to faster racing later after you learn to setup the car and drive it.
FWIW
Tim
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by veghead211
Where do you live? There is a really nice track on-road track in Goldsboro that I usually race at. I run the GT class that use silver can motors in touring cars, a really good option if you want to try and race cheaply.
I'm in Raleigh, I'll have to check that place out in Goldsboro..