Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
13.5 sedan and finding the cars balance with lipo - general thoughts? >

13.5 sedan and finding the cars balance with lipo - general thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

13.5 sedan and finding the cars balance with lipo - general thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by housey
I like the feel of a brushed setup and think if I go mad of all the turbo settings it will mess up my driving!
there is only so much speed or power one and their car can manage, any more is a waste, as also in my case...
Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
there is only so much speed or power one and their car can manage, any more is a waste, as also in my case...
For me it is less about the overall power, I mean back in the day I could do 7 turn mod just fine. Its the feel of these things that scares me. Even though a 7t was super fast, it was linear and controllable. These turbo brushless things don't look linear at all, well at least not the fastest ones I've seen, they look really punchy a different stages in the rev range, a bit like having really bad turbo lag in a car. They are probably just badly setup brushless I guess. I'll just have to see for myself when I save up to get a Tekin or whatever I decide on.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got into racing RC this summer. I'm a newbie, but I race in a 13.5 open ESC TC class. It has taken me a couple of months to get my car set up pretty well and to start feeling really connected to the car when I run it, but while I was getting to this point I just rarely hit full throttle and made sure to be very careful while trying to drive the smoothest, tightest lines I could. I broke a couple of little things, but nothing major. Just because the power is there doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. Often slower truly is faster. I could have started in a spec silver can brushed class, but I like at least having the ability to go fast. Something in between might have been better for me to start, but that isn't an option where I am, so I dove right into the deep end with 13.5 open and I don't regret it at all. I have a blast every time I go out. I've never won yet, even a B-main, but I don't really expect to for a while, if ever, especially against the pros at my track. I just have fun, try to improve my lap times and finish the race without hitting anyone or breaking anything. I'm now able to run laps very close to the fastest guys at my track(they also happen to be some of the fastest guys in the country). I still need to get more consistent, but that is coming along.

As far as tweaking the ESC settings, well I actually enjoy doing that stuff, but I haven't had to touch my settings in weeks. My car has plenty of speed and very little heat, so I don't feel like I need to change anything. Maybe it's because I have never touched a brushed motor that I have no problem at all changing boost settings, it was just one more thing I had to learn. Maybe I'm lucky to have chosen a motor that I can throw almost max boost at and it barely gets warm after a full race. After 12 minutes of hard laps it gets up to about the temp most motors are after 6 minutes. I use a BOSS rc motorsports tuned SP v3 motor with a tekin rs pro running vegas 208. I really couldn't be happier with my motor and speedo.

Only one person can win a race, so just go out to have fun. If you win while doing it, all the better. We're racing toy cars. Don't take it too seriously.

Last edited by locked; 08-31-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: removed a chapter of this novel :)
Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 AM
Tech Champion

good input with good conclusions

Keep at it...

Housey,

I beleive brushless systems can be made to feel as punchy or as soft as you want them to feel, it is just understanding how much of one setting you need, to get the right amount for the car/you and for the track.

Locked,

I've been racing for 15 years, seen plenty of good times and not so good times And yes there is a fine line between not having a good result and not taking it too seriously