Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
first thing to look at when an engine doesn't start easily? >

first thing to look at when an engine doesn't start easily?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first thing to look at when an engine doesn't start easily?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default first thing to look at when an engine doesn't start easily?

What is the first thing to check if an engine doesn't start easily? Needles are at factory setting or as close as I can get them. Not flooded, glow plug is good, new fuel (Byron's 20%), and fuel lines are all good with no air leaks. Carb is seated properly etc I already checked.

Is it possible that the idle adjustment screw is set too low and the engine is not able to idle up once it gets started up? How do I check for that if the engine won't start in the first place?

It's very hard to adjust needles and troubleshoot them if the thing won't even start for a second so I can hear it lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Which engine?

Pullstart or not? If no pullstart make sure the starter box turns the engine enough, in order to start it requires a certain amount of rpm.

Also make sure it gets enough fuel to fire up, for example you can blow to the PRESSURE line (by removing it from the pipe end) to get the fuel going to the carb before starting - but be careful not to get any fuel into your mouth (never happened to me but please be careful because nitro fuel is lethal stuff).

Most common error is that the glow plug igniter is just not loaded enough; it usually requires charging overnight when using the charger that comes along in order to be effective.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

It was simply a wrong needle setting for idle. Tried it this morning and it fired up with a few small adjustments to the idle screw. It is my friend's car I was just helping with. Some type of older novarossi engine. Not sure of the model. Seems good now. I guess he or perhaps even me, adjusted the idle too low. Had to throttle up a bit at start and raise the idle speed a bit. Now it fires up immediately as it should.

Gotta love fixing things on your own and having that "ahh ha!!" moment.