Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
looking at geting a 1/8 nitro buggy, what do i need? >

looking at geting a 1/8 nitro buggy, what do i need?

looking at geting a 1/8 nitro buggy, what do i need?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? looking at geting a 1/8 nitro buggy, what do i need?

im looking at geting losi 8ight 2.0 rtr to do some racing at my lhs what do i need to get it running?

any tips on what parts or what mantines to do on them?

would it be better to buy new or find one on ebay that has a lot of stuff with it?

any other advice would be welcome
Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Depends how much you want to spend and how much you think you will get into it.

To get it running you will need batteries and fuel for a rtr. Used parts aren't great depends on the condition and all that. I hate getting used rc cars. Just seem like to much of a hassle.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Theres some great deals to be had on used equip, expecially here in the buy/sell forum. Most of the people here know how to take care of their stuff and provide pics and a detailed description about their setup, replaced parts, quirks, etc. I picked up an 8 2.0 roller for $175 shipped a month or so ago and got a great deal. I needed my own rx, servos and engine. I already had a rx and got a good deal on servos and engine. Basically about $400 ready to race with a brand new engine and high torque servos.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Rookie

how much matinece dose the losi 8ight 2.0 rtr need?

what do you have to do to run it at a race( starting, shuting off, filling up, ect.)

what do you hav to do when your all done racing to put it away for the week?

im new to nitro(never had one) i have a slash and thats easy to mantaine.

would it be easyer to just get the electric verson?
even though it costs alot more?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

before you go any further, I got a few precautions for you to start racin

1. never buy a used kit or engine
2. buying used tires and servos are sometimes safe but not 100%
3. never buy rtr they kill RC by giving you junk-most of the time
4. Spend the money the first time you wont need to again for a while-for example buy a new kit, engine, servos, radio, tires and etc you know it will run and work good because you built t the way you want and broke everything in the way u want so it will work the way you want. You buy a used engine, most of the time they never run good unless its basically new but you still dont know how they broke it in.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

+1 on spend the money up front. If you go cheap buying a second time can be more expensive than just buying it right the 1st time.

Buying a used car is risky uess you know the seller. I recently purchased a used E 2.0 and it was in great shape bit a good friend of mine turned me onto the deal. Engines are so cheap these days there's no reason to buy a used engine there are pleanty of descent mills out there in the low 200 range. Personally I cary enough parts to completely rebuild the cars I race. I don't wNt to be stuck watching the race when I should be in it. Not saying you have to do it that way that's just what I do. The bottom line is how much $$ do you want to drop on a full race ride initially? Pick a descent radio any ofthe main brands will do (airtronics, futaba, specktrum, or KO) and buy some hitec servos you will be glad you did neveryrhing else is all extras but the bottom line is buy it right the 1st time and you will be glad you did.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

DO NOT buy a used vehicle if you don't know what your looking for. i bought a used buggy 8ight 2.0 and it was missing parts and some of the parts didn't belong to the vehicle. it was a F$%^ing hassle. if i just would have spent the money right the first time i wouldn't have that problem. save the money and do it right the first time.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
3. never buy rtr they kill RC by giving you junk-most of the time

i think that is a rather broad statement....
in a lot of cases, it allows easier access into the hobby or into a new class or range of vehicle.
allowing you to upgrade if you feel necessary

the losi rtr is a great package.

to the OP..
you will need a heat gun. i had to preheat the head on my 8ight to start for almost half a gallon. that losi 350 is super tight brand new.
after break in, you will probably need a new set of tires.
i am just into the 2nd gallon on mine and the tires are bald bald.
youll need 2 batteries for the starterbox. lipo preferred but im using nimh 4600's.. they work decent.
i ordered a 2nd starterbox belt.. i was afraid of possibly snapping mine and being stuck without a replacement for a week. but it hasnt broken. probably because my engine was 200 prior to starting
other than that, youll just need some tools which you probably have allrdy im guessing

i will be replacing my shock caps w/ alum but not untill the stock plastic ones go.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkee
i think that is a rather broad statement....
in a lot of cases, it allows easier access into the hobby or into a new class or range of vehicle.
allowing you to upgrade if you feel necessary

the losi rtr is a great package.

to the OP..
you will need a heat gun. i had to preheat the head on my 8ight to start for almost half a gallon. that losi 350 is super tight brand new.
after break in, you will probably need a new set of tires.
i am just into the 2nd gallon on mine and the tires are bald bald.
youll need 2 batteries for the starterbox. lipo preferred but im using nimh 4600's.. they work decent.
i ordered a 2nd starterbox belt.. i was afraid of possibly snapping mine and being stuck without a replacement for a week. but it hasnt broken. probably because my engine was 200 prior to starting
other than that, youll just need some tools which you probably have allrdy im guessing

i will be replacing my shock caps w/ alum but not untill the stock plastic ones go.
if you see i put most of the time and yes its a pretty good package but the servos take a crap after breakin they dont last. The engine is pretty good but they dont last as long as others, but for rtr its very good and it does include a good box, radio, and roller but honestly i would rather spend the money on a kit then a rtr. opinions are opinions but im 100% positive those servos are no good so its ganna cost 140 each for 9100's and with losi if you dont set end points they will eat any servo, I have seen jr 9100 hv's get eatin by a losi and those are 200 plus dollar servos.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

money
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i know others in this thread have had some bad experiences buying 2nd hand, but i've bought both of my 2 cars from this site as second hand and i couldn't be happier.

first one was a x1cr pro kit with all the upgrades. got it cheap and apart from general maintence it never had any probs.

2nd one i bought was an eight2 kit for $400. the extras included in this kit would have put the retail cost over $1200 and the buggy was basicaly brand new.

best advise if your going 2nd hand, look at the persons user rating/post count and ask for pics and ask to talk to them on the phone prior to purchase. also pay in such a way that you can track your money if they do the dodgy on you.

things i did buy when i got this new buggy was a good servo and a new engine as the last one had had it, but i'm using the same FM 3ch radio gear i purchased off ebay cheap for my first buggy.

best of luck with what ever you decide to go
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minnesotamudder
im looking at geting losi 8ight 2.0 rtr to do some racing at my lhs what do i need to get it running?

any tips on what parts or what mantines to do on them?

would it be better to buy new or find one on ebay that has a lot of stuff with it?

any other advice would be welcome
I was in the same boat as you a few months back i got out of RC about 12-15 years ago when everything was 10'th scale electric.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...r-8-years.html
Old 08-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Stufff

A race buggy
radio
starter box w/ stick packs 4600
pipe
engine
glowplugs 5 bucks each
servos
fuel
tires set glued up
Clutch/w springs never hurts to have an extra one
fuel line
pipe gaskets springs
After run oil Marvel Mystery oil 3 bucks quart...
Thread lock blue
extra screws....setscrews etc.....washers, shims... Just trust me...
clutch remover tool
flywheel puller, love that thing...
hex wrenches 1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm, and 5.5 nut driver.....
screwdrivers different sizes, tuning, head screws, chassis flat phillips
Paint, wheel bearing grease, shock, diff oil....
Denatured alcohol.....
Charger, charge leads, reciever battery ib 1600
Glow igniter
Blowdryer
xacto knife
needle nose pliers
wire cutters big small
channel locks for flywheel
temp gauge
stopwatch
drill bits
dremel
a mental health plan haha
patience
Coffee
soda
chips the tv show
Ipod
Office chair
Speakers
toothbrush
dental floss
bandaids
personal assistant
healthy relationship or not one
chinese food
extension cords
power strip
restroom
sink
dishsoap
towels
pillow
rags
cat dog
boxes
beef jerkey
shop paper towels
wd40
teflon spray
fans
A/C
Heater
Ice Chest
and that's it, not much stuff at all....
Old 08-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Why not ask the LHS for advice , or perhaps a deal on a new nitro package?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This stuff is wildly expensive, but worth every dime. do it once do it right. i think its a good idea to have a practice buggy/truggy and a race buggy/truggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.