Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Whats better? Pull start or starter box? >

Whats better? Pull start or starter box?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats better? Pull start or starter box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Whats better? Pull start or starter box?

What do you guys have?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

box better for racing,... coz sometimes it needs more rpm to start a stalling hot engine in heat of race,... just imagine if you or your mechanic have to do that w/ a pull start
Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

I think a pullstart is more conveinient in most cases. If you're out bashing and stall you won't need a heavy box to restart. On the other hand, like orangbaliglia said, a starter box is way better for starting a tight, high performance engine, especially early on in the engine's life. Also, a starter box with a power panel will eliminiate the need for a seperate glow plug igniter and some boxes will even have a 12v supply outlet to power other accesories. I have bump starters for my touring cars and a pull start on my Savage.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

starter box engines are more towards the racing scene and pullstart engines are more for cheap ppl who dont want to dish out the $$$ for a good racing quality engine like the nova MF, JP, Novarossi, RB Concepts etc etc thats just my opinion
Old 06-02-2004, 11:31 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

a starter box is a good thing to have.

sometimes, when the engine is being stubborn, your hands will get busted pretty damn bad if you keep pulling.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

All the engine need start box is for racing and these engine are more rpm than pull start.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Tech Addict

if you will race, starter box. visit the track and watch a race, you will see why. i would say 99% use it.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Tech Addict

What sort of car are you thinking of putting your motor in.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A "pull start only" race class is not a bad way to go, as it limits engine choice to the cheaper lower power models, and I must say it can be damn amusing to watch at times.
There is nothing funnier than when like 3+ guys have an off, stall, and then all need to pull start a hot engine to get back into it.

I genuinely think it ads an angle to entry level racing though, and tends to be a little more newbie friendly.
Starter boxes are coming down in price a lot though now, so it's hard to say if there is much in the way of cost saving anymore, but is still a minor pain to have yet another piece of equipment to lug around.

You know when that thunder tiger with the Heli engine came out, I though starter sticks would really catch on, kind of surprised it never really happened?
Old 06-03-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Bishop

You know when that thunder tiger with the Heli engine came out, I though starter sticks would really catch on, kind of surprised it never really happened?
some brand released the starter stick previously (including Kyosho too),.. but that thing is more into nasty accidents than ease of use,... ever had your fingers ripped by chassis edges when the starter slips on a tight engine start?! I did,.. and it 'aint pretty...

for ease of use, rotostart or power-start are the way to go,... but robs some power from the engine,... very good application on monster trucks as it's nearly impossible to use a box
Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

ummm. I am new to the hobby but quite involved. If he is racing he will have NO CHOICE but to run a starter box. Unless someone can tell me of a competative racing engine that is pull start?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Initiate

i have a team associated tc3, no racing, just for fun. I dont wanna get too serious, maybe a 2 speed down the line, maybe a bigger engine.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

I believe I've seen RB .12 with pull starts before. I'm sure it's not their top of the line engine, but an RB none the less.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know Thunder Tiger make some fairly good spec engines still with pull start, as do RB, in fact the RB engines may be the most powerful spec pull start motors you can buy?

The other thing I thought of that pull start has going for it is a certain safety margin for both newbies and just the odd person who is not paying attention in general, if you flood an engine, it's a lot harder to hydrolock it to the point were you break something trying to pull start it, than using a bump start box that has no feel to it at all...
I have heard a few horror stories about people trying to start a engine the wrong way with a box as well, really not good for the motor...