Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio gear is acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Radio gear is acting up.

My mate gave me his old 1/10 scale Smartech (I laughed at it at first). It has some engine in it labelled Top Peak. I found out the hard way that the engine is awesome. I rebuilt it (was pretty bad) and assembled it, threw in some 20%, and I tried turning the motor over for a while, and eventually get it. The settings were way to rich, so I leaned it out. The engine is fine now. I put it on the ground for a bit, kinda do a small circle, then it just floors it.

Smashes into this rock wall on an angle, jumps in the air a little, does a 180 degree turn, smashes into a bunch of plastic chairs, pushes them out of the way easy, drags one a bit, then the radio came back and it shut off. The engine was crazy good. I actually broke a chrome wheel, smashed it up. Also broke a servo, which I fixed. Suprisingly good condition.

Anyway, so the radio works for a little bit, then stops working, all at random. I don't think the radio gear is faulty (although it is pretty cheap shit). What are some suggested fixes? I'm thinking try another radio frequincy
Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

gotta make sure the ariel isn't near any electrical wires that can cause glitches
Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

loose fitting xtals....???....or a short antena wire like its been cut off ???...
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Changed the crystals and it seems fine. However I'm still taking it slow, because if the controller fails, I don't want it to be flooring it.

The aerial seems to be a fine length, and doesn't looks like it's been cut. I tried installing a failsafe on the throttle, and everything stops responding when it's plugged in. Is that a common thing?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

no thats not normal...it should only kick in when there is a signal loss.like low batterys or to far away to recieve a signal or in your case a radio or reciaver problem.if you have another set of radio gear swap it out and see what happens...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, everything seems fine now. Had it out for 20-30 mins, then his flywheel came loose (his using one without a pullstart, the kind where you need one of those 12v motors that spin the flywheel). So I'll fix that up on the weekend.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Tech Initiate

it could be the pot on the throttle might have a loose conection

flat batteries could also have this affect
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mind_Reader7
Changed the crystals and it seems fine. However I'm still taking it slow, because if the controller fails, I don't want it to be flooring it.

The aerial seems to be a fine length, and doesn't looks like it's been cut. I tried installing a failsafe on the throttle, and everything stops responding when it's plugged in. Is that a common thing?
Ive never had luck using a failsafe. They always end up causing more problems IMHO.

make sure there are no bare wires that could be shorting on metal chassis parts.

I use a rubber band around the carburetor, that way if the linkage collars slip or ball cup pops off, it will close the carb.