Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
airtronics M8 or futaba 3pk >

airtronics M8 or futaba 3pk

airtronics M8 or futaba 3pk

Old 05-31-2004, 01:41 AM
Tech Adept

Default airtronics M8 or futaba 3pk

Which is better m8 or 3pk?
what is more suitable for electric onroad.
is 3pk's menu put to full use when you are racing electric touring car??????
Old 05-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have been using M8 for some time now. When I purchased it, I also considered 3PK as my second choice. I selected M8 because it seemed to have all needed functions and also it was more suitable into my hand. I found 3PK to have all required functions too and a lot more, which I doubt that I will need, but it's size and shape of the handle were cons that made me to select M8. Also menus and usage of M8 was a lot more straight forward, I even didn't need to read manual to get all settings into there. Menus in 3PK were a lot more complicated and for example, my friend used over 15 minutes to get normal lap counter function to work in it.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:04 AM
Tech Adept

i usedmy friends 3pk on his blazer ofna GP monster truck it gave good handling and brakes it was good but when i tried my friend's trf 414 it didnt give me that precise feeling of steering, compared when i used sanwa blazer on my trf. it was easier to handle. and when we race my performance was better than his. i was running a trf 414 with futaba mc230 stock motor and a sanwa am blazer, while he was running a trf with keyence zero esc with same stock motor and using futaba 3pk. shouldnt his better radio give him an unfair advantage
Old 05-31-2004, 02:16 AM
Tech Regular

it has alot to do with servos and car setup as well for how well a car works. You can't really totally base a radio on how the car works. I would suggest that you try one of your friends m8's and see if you like the feel. Also do the same with the 3pk. They are both top of the line radios .... To me its all about what y ou feel comfortable with.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I ran the Futaba 3PJS (Futaba's previous top radio) for a few years. I just got the 3PK and my buddy just got an M8. I fell in love with my 3PK from the moment I took it out of the box. The menus seemed very easy to navigate and I personally love the feel. The grip to me feels much more comfortable in my hand than the M8. I don't think you can go wrong with either radio though, they are both very capable for any car.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Any of the 2 radio will do just fine.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Initiate

just like the above post, both will do fine. but get what fits your hand the best. also depending what kind of car you are driving, use your best judgement in choosing the radio's program/radio options that will compliment the car's purpose. if you are just a basher, get a radio that fits your budget.

i'm still using the futaba 3pjs and i still love it.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

I have not used either, but here's my advice- go to your LHS and hold both of the radios, spin the wheel, give the throttle and brake a pull and push. Find out which radio feels better. It is worth it to pay more for a radio that feels better and one that you will be able to use easier even if the other radio is cheaper.

But like many before and after will say, they're both great radios.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

I am going to have to agree with those that have said that it is all personal preference, it really is. It is all about how it feels in your hands. Feature wise they are both identical, its all in the wording that makes them different....in the manuals.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

I use the M8 and love it. Backlit screen is a cool feature
Old 05-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default I like M8 better

I have my friends uses M8 and 3PK, and I try both. to me, M8 is lighter and better grabing. 3PK is more precise in the throtal.

3PK has many features that you might not use it in the rest of your life and you can have it capable with FM, HRS and PCM.

M8, on the other hand, has all the feature that is most used by any racer but not much fancy stuff. however it is very easy to understand the interface. and you can have synthesizer.

M8 has been the reader's choice for many years, the quality and performance is race proven.

3PK has all the latest technology but I still heard some complain to their QC. better think about it

if you don't need PCM then maybe KO Ex-10 can be an alternative to 3PK, but personally i choose M8
Old 06-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: airtronics M8 or futaba 3pk

Originally posted by prodrive
is 3pk's menu put to full use when you are racing electric touring car??????
nope! the 3pk's features are overkill for ep. most of the features are for gp cars really.

also, u might consider the problem with the screen on the 3pk. i've had mine for two years, have had problems with the screen (LCD), although tolerble, however, performance is not hampered one bit.

as was stated earlier, you have the option to switch between fm, pcm, hrs and now (i saw this in rccaraction i think) u can even switch to am, all u have to do is purchase an AM module and ur set. i think its for mini-Z use.

just my two cents
Old 06-01-2004, 03:30 AM
Tech Addict

Both radios are fine. I race with Futaba 3VC so I might be biased but I think the M8 uses more power, empties the batteries faster. It might be issue on long race days. I'm not sure how much power the 3PK uses.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by andsetinn
Both radios are fine. I race with Futaba 3VC so I might be biased but I think the M8 uses more power, empties the batteries faster. It might be issue on long race days. I'm not sure how much power the 3PK uses.
Yeah, M8 power hunger.. geez I dumped the 700nimh that comes with it and got myself Sanyo's 2100 instead. don't forget to remove the batts after every race if it's one of those 'long race days'
Old 06-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

FYI: I'm using Thunder Power 3-cell Li-po batteries in my 3PK with excellent results. I've been running them alot the last 3 days, and they're finally down to 12.6 volts, from 13. I'll post some pics later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.