Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'Donnell fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default O'Donnell fuel question

I asked O.S. what 20% fuel they recommended for max engine life in a CV-R .18 in a DBX buggy. Their response was to use the O'Donnell RTR blend. I have no reason to doubt them, I am just curious who has tried the different blends from O'Donnell and what your opinion is of the different blends in regards to tunability and engine life.

side note: I sent them a couple of emails and they responded to each one in less than 24 hours.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The RTR blend will be great it has a great lubricant that will help the life of your engine. The performance will be great also. If your new to the hobby the RTR fuel will be a great start as you progress and lean how to tune engines better and are ready for more performance then switch to the race blend. You can Go wrong with O'Donnell fuel its one of the best out there great quality and service. Hope this help.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I've ran O'donnell fuel for 6 years. I switched brands and not going to name them because it starts nothing but a flame war. When running other fuels I had no tuning issues but alot of bearing trouble and noticed the same with others who were using the (no name) fuel.
I will run nothing but O'Donnell. The lube and throttle response is by far the best in my experience plus the price is right. I like my fuel clear with no dye. I honestly think that 20% will treat you right regardless of it being RTR fuel or racing fuel.

If your fuel doesn't curl your nose hair and burn your eyes out, it's simply not nitro......
Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Greg B
I've ran O'donnell fuel for 6 years. I switched brands and not going to name them because it starts nothing but a flame war. When running other fuels I had no tuning issues but alot of bearing trouble and noticed the same with others who were using the (no name) fuel.
I will run nothing but O'Donnell. The lube and throttle response is by far the best in my experience plus the price is right. I like my fuel clear with no dye. I honestly think that 20% will treat you right regardless of it being RTR fuel or racing fuel.

If your fuel doesn't curl your nose hair and burn your eyes out, it's simply not nitro......
+1. ive run nothing but odonnell and i love it! always been easy to tune and it lubs the motor good.

Freak i hate that, when you are nealing down tuning and you catch an awsome smell and your eyes water and your nose burns like hell aha
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Josh Pease
The RTR blend will be great it has a great lubricant that will help the life of your engine. The performance will be great also. If your new to the hobby the RTR fuel will be a great start as you progress and lean how to tune engines better and are ready for more performance then switch to the race blend. You can Go wrong with O'Donnell fuel its one of the best out there great quality and service. Hope this help.
Would you be able to explain the difference between the race and RTR blends? For example, the race blend has more potential for performance but is more difficult to tune, etc..?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MattFL
Would you be able to explain the difference between the race and RTR blends? For example, the race blend has more potential for performance but is more difficult to tune, etc..?

rtr blends have more oil so if , your engine is too lean... than theres more to protect it. the race blend has less oil, so it makes better power i use eb mods 20% race blend and, im not the best tuner so i just make my engine a little rich as long as there, smoke coming out of your pipe your good.

plus the problem is with the rtr blend, you have to lean the engine out so much to get it to run right because of the extra oil .
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 AM
cdc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The rtr blend has a little more oil that the race blend. It just means you have to lean the hsn more than you would with the race blend.

Last edited by cdc; 07-15-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattFL
I asked O.S. what 20% fuel they recommended for max engine life in a CV-R .18 in a DBX buggy. Their response was to use the O'Donnell RTR blend. I have no reason to doubt them, I am just curious who has tried the different blends from O'Donnell and what your opinion is of the different blends in regards to tunability and engine life.

side note: I sent them a couple of emails and they responded to each one in less than 24 hours.
It depends on a couple of things really. Are sure of yourself about tuning? And what type of experience are you looking for? If you just want this engine to last forever and are not racing on a competitive level then I say use the RTR. But if you have a good idea on tuning then get some 20% racing blend, tune rich as mentioned above, and enjoy some power!