Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
I don't care how good the kit is the worst sin in RC racing is. . . . >

I don't care how good the kit is the worst sin in RC racing is. . . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I don't care how good the kit is the worst sin in RC racing is. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Too late I'm sorry you already did stoop to that level I just decided to join.....

Originally posted by Mabuchi540
Tre witty.
What car are you getting , or will this question start another thread ?

Exchange rate here is 6.5 to USD1, yet I order about 75% from Towerhobbies. I could do with some NZ dollars.

Are you awake yet, that was quick. Are you fresh, wanna rumble with words or are you going to ask more about your new car and use this site for what is was intended for, RC .....arh...yawn......sleepy......come now M540, ask something......yawn
Old 06-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Yokomo.....

The local agent said that if I got a CGM or a SSG it comes with a set of G2 Hotlap tyres. Now according to him they come in the kit as supplied to the NZ market (or perhaps he ment he'd include them him self) either way tyres are included.

That said I gotta figure out CGM or SSG lol? Both look identical from the pictures I've seen apart from the chassis anyway so I'll probably just toss a coin on the day.
The cgm has the graphite molded parts included. I'd get that over the SSG. If all you wanted were tires to bash around in, you can pick up used racing tires for cheap on this forum and probably locally.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
good choice
Old 06-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Buy a real Ferrari Stradale race edition...and it includes tires.

Buy an XRAY...no tires

hmmmm
Old 06-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Why don't you voice your concerns to your LHS? Perhaps if explained to them that you weren't going to purchase "kit x" from them because it doesn't come with tires, they might be willing to toss in a set to seal the deal.

You'd be surprised what the LHS's will do - they know that you could very easily go to a mailorder house, and they'll often give a little to keep your business.

I see your point, and then again, I don't.

You're talking about a full-on race kit - the reasons that tires included have already been repeatedly expressed, so I won't express them again. I just think you're excluding an excellent car over a seemingly trivial point.

Yeah, you might get a set of tires with the purchase of a Ferrari, but you can be sure that a [race] team who purchases a Ferrari chasis for competitive purposes doesn't give a hoot about what tires are on it at the time of purchase.

Your money, your decision.

Rob
Old 06-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Yokomo.....

The local agent said that if I got a CGM or a SSG it comes with a set of G2 Hotlap tyres. Now according to him they come in the kit as supplied to the NZ market (or perhaps he ment he'd include them himself) either way tyres are included.

That said I gotta figure out CGM or SSG lol? Both look identical from the pictures I've seen apart from the chassis anyway so I'll probably just toss a coin on the day.
Did your local agent also tell you to order about 25 extra diff screws with your purchase? The Yok's are VERY prone to snapping them, and it doesn't necessarily take an impact to do it. If you'd like a Yok owner's firsthand opinion on the subject, let me know. I'll pass your name on to him and he can tell you of the nightmares he's had keeping his Yok in one piece.

Rob
Old 06-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by 403forbidden
Buy a real Ferrari Stradale race edition...and it includes tires.

Buy an XRAY...no tires

hmmmm

Ferrari Stradale: $180,000 (est) U.S.

XRay Factory Kit: $325 U.S.

A bit of a difference.

Rob
Old 06-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Yokomo.....

Originally posted by losirob
Did your local agent also tell you to order about 25 extra diff screws with your purchase? The Yok's are VERY prone to snapping them, and it doesn't necessarily take an impact to do it. If you'd like a Yok owner's firsthand opinion on the subject, let me know. I'll pass your name on to him and he can tell you of the nightmares he's had keeping his Yok in one piece.

Rob
Ahhh no he didn't but I'll look into it thanks. As for the LHS well the closest one is strictly static models and the occasional QD Tamiya but the agent is just a guy that can get them apon request from the importer. I'll be watching one or two of them race this next weekend.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Rob
I just got the titanium screws for my kit. I haven't ran my car yet (still waiting for Airtronics to release their syn. receiver), but have you tried these and how do you think they rate?

YOKOMO -- simply put -- THEE BEST!!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I can't tell you, since I don't own a Yok.

However, I was referring to the screws that hold the differential together (and set diff tension.)

Rob
Old 06-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Post MA-BU-CHI540

hey, just get the SSG SD and the CGM
Old 06-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Tech Addict

The CGM is a good choice, the kit I've seen here looks good(I'd buy one )

Re. Diff screws snapping...the same thing was supposed to happen on the MR4 TC/SP and I never did it(running modified). The guys here at the time just put some black diff grease under the head of the bolt and that minimised breakages.

I doubt this will be an issue at anytime running a 540 motor.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

Rob
Never snapped a diff screw in one year use. I know of some people who did, but they over tightened them. Besides, he'll be using it for stock (mabuchi) so there's no point.

As for breakages, the graphite parts included with the CGM ar much stronger than the standard plastic ones. No more kingpin losses or broken front/C hubs. Even the wishbones are much tougher, and yokomo is releasing new stronger wishbones (more material).

The only very weak point of the yoke IMO are the wheel bearings : they have too small balls which gets square very quickly.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: I don't care how good the kit is the worst sin in RC racing is. . . .

A kit that comes WITHOUT a set to tyres to get you started.

So all you makers of RC cars out there get your act together, the last thing a person wants to do that has forked out his/her hard earned money to get into a sport is to open the box and go WTF no tyres.
What is REALLY irritating is when the Customer returns the kit to the LHS complaining that it didn't come with a set of Wheels and Tires (or Battery and Charger).
The seals have been broken on the box by now and 1/2 the parts bags have been opened in their search for these Non-included items.

When all they had to do is READ the side of the box to see what items are included or not.

BTW: I have personally done this with software/hardware for my PC, but I leave everything sealed until I am 100% sure it will work for my application.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I'll not argue with any of that but to help make up my mind I had to have a deciding factor and that was it basically. "Could I get it rolling out of the box".
If you bought it, took it out of the box, put it in the car it theoretically would be rolling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.