Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
I don't care how good the kit is the worst sin in RC racing is. . . . >

I don't care how good the kit is the worst sin in RC racing is. . . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I don't care how good the kit is the worst sin in RC racing is. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Guys...I think the point that he was tryign to make was that he put together 2 possibilities for kits...
and at the end it came down to one or the other..
and he used the tires as a deciding factor...

I personally don't agree with his initial argument that tires MUST be included..but if used as a tie-breaker I see no problem with it...
Supplies from a local agent (not an actual shop) not withstanding a Yokomo SSG he said it came with the one way and hotlap G2's (whatever they are). I'll check out the Yokomo thread and watch one race at the nearest track before the final final decision though.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mabuchi540
Me neither but I'm not talking about competition tyres just something suitable to run it up and down the driveway when setting the transmitter sort of thing. Sure I'd buy good tyres but I wouldn't use them for set up. I'm lead to believe that kit losi tyres are good for this sort of thing but not racing...anyway I'm sure you get the idea.
Mabuchi....I can understand your feelings but the bottom line is this....You should not be looking to purchase a top of the line car if you do not have a current stock of competition level parts or tools. I say this because ANY driver that would be buying a top level car that would not come with tires would and should be an experienced driver. His or her pit box would include , at the very least, 1 set of tires used for non race testing or adjusting. For the most part, any driver using a top of the line chassis would not make adjustments by " running it up and down the driveway". We have tuning devices and pit boards that allow us to do that.
It sounds to me like you're getting in over your head. $460.00 (u.s.) is pricey even for us. I hope I don't sound arrogant but....Do yourself a favor....buy a car thats more suitable to your experience level, support level and financial level. It clearly sounds to me as if you're wanting a top of the line chassis just because of the "coolness" of it. Don't get caught in that trap or you'll soon find out how expensive your mistake can be. Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well put
Old 06-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Evoracer
Mabuchi....I can understand your feelings but the bottom line is this....You should not be looking to purchase a top of the line car if you do not have a current stock of competition level parts or tools. I say this because ANY driver that would be buying a top level car that would not come with tires would and should be an experienced driver. His or her pit box would include , at the very least, 1 set of tires used for non race testing or adjusting. For the most part, any driver using a top of the line chassis would not make adjustments by " running it up and down the driveway". We have tuning devices and pit boards that allow us to do that.
It sounds to me like you're getting in over your head. $460.00 (u.s.) is pricey even for us. I hope I don't sound arrogant but....Do yourself a favor....buy a car thats more suitable to your experience level, support level and financial level. It clearly sounds to me as if you're wanting a top of the line chassis just because of the "coolness" of it. Don't get caught in that trap or you'll soon find out how expensive your mistake can be. Good Luck.
I understand what your saying but I'm not a total newb just that I haven't raced for 12 years ok so it might amount to the same thing but I hope not.

As for adjustments I just ment to make sure it's tracking straight when setting the steering trim not for anything else.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 06-06-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Mabuchi540
Supplies from a local agent (not an actual shop) not withstanding a Yokomo SSG he said it came with the one way and hotlap G2's (whatever they are). I'll check out the Yokomo thread and watch one race at the nearest track before the final final decision though.
The yokomo doesn't comes with tires.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

12 years is a long time but you surely can't be considered a newbie. I'm sure you'll get caught up quickly.
Let me add my personal experience. I'm a serious Tamiya driver and collector. I currently have a collection of 25+ cars with at least 5 being running, raceable vehicles. Of those....none are running the kit tires. These cars range from Mini Coopers to a competition Evo3. The Tamiya comp cars are not known to be the least expensive out there. Part of that high price was to cover the cost of the SUPPLIED Sorex 36r tires. I never used them !!! They are still in the box. Good tires but not my personal choice. I made that choice based on my own experiences. Do I wish I could have saved the 30 or so dollars it cost to include those tires in the kit !!??? You bet.....wouldn't you ??
Let me also say this.....at this point in your return to the hobby I would give serious thought to buying a quality , suitable car from the used market. The money you save will certainly help you to buy the necessary new items..like tires. RCTECh has some of the best classifieds around. Check them out and find a good car, buy some good tires and get racing !!!!!
Old 06-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i do totally agree with everyone, kit tires suck, unless of course the company has taken the aproach that man have now days, for example, the hot bodies l2 comes with Trinity Grip tires, prefect for almost any surface, and the duratrx pro buggys come with proline bowties. However these are offroad buggys, if your buying a touring car do yourself a favor and get the tc3 rtr if you want tires, foryou it will do the saem thing as any pro kit you can buy.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Cobra81li200
The yokomo doesn't comes with tires.
This kit it it's NZ form he assures me it does.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

The worst sin in RC racing is letting your mouth rather than your hands do your driving.

'nuff said
Old 06-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

The top of the line kits don't hide the fact they have no tyres or a shell included. The reasons are well known. It keeps the cost down and allows the owner to purchase what they feel is suitable. If you don't agree with that rationale, thats fine.

Kit
Shell
Wheels, inserts and tyres.
It's a perfectly reasonable expectation to buy these items seperately to get a new car running well on a track. The whole point of at least asking people what works on your local venue is to allow you to spend the $NZ 80-100 odd on the right wheel, tyre and insert combo.

Referring to a point you made earlier..
I built many off road kits during the late 80's and nineties. The Schumacher CAT had decent tyres for hard packed dirt but ALL the Yokomo kits I owned/built/raced(YZ870C Super dog fighter, Associated marketed YZ10, Works 91/93 Dogfighters and my '95 YZ10)had useless kit rubber. Same with the Traxxas TRX 1-3 and Blue Eagle Racetrucks...Until recently it was a "given" that the kit supplied rubber in the box would "complete" a build but not be of any real use. That has changed now(certainly in the Losi/Associated off road cars).

You might also want to check the old shell you plan on using. If it was mounted on a converted off roader, it will be way too wide for a touring car(190-200mm max in NZ)

Last edited by Simon K; 06-06-2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Default Shite......

hadn't thought of that.....mmmm I wonder if big Pete from palmy still has some bodies left from back when he used to make them?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

New shell $50
Just ask whats available where you buy the kit from. Any 190mm shell will fit whatever chassis you purchase, it's just a case of marking out the bodypost holes accordingly. Hobby Direct have been having some sharp specials over the last few weeks(buy a shell and get two free cans of Tamiya spraypaint)so may pay you to sign up for their "Internet newsletter" thing.

The only locally made shells are produced by Frewer in Christchurch, no one else makes Touring car bodies in NZ.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Entropy
The worst sin in RC racing is letting your mouth rather than your hands do your driving.

'nuff said
I hear ya...
Old 06-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Rookie

First of all you have a comupter obviously. Paying 470.00 usd for a car bad choice. Plenty of deals online. Got my T1 FK for under 300.00 usd.

So here we go

T1 FK - 299.00 usd
ESC - 125.00 usd
Transmiter/Reciever - 175.00 usd
Motor - 35.00 usd
Battery - 65.00 usd
Peak Charger - 175.00

Mabuchi540 pissed about about no Tires - Priceless
Old 06-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally posted by T-Bag-R
First of all you have a comupter obviously. Paying 470.00 usd for a car bad choice. Plenty of deals online. Got my T1 FK for under 300.00 usd.

So here we go

T1 FK - 299.00 usd
ESC - 125.00 usd
Transmiter/Reciever - 175.00 usd
Motor - 35.00 usd
Battery - 65.00 usd
Peak Charger - 175.00

Mabuchi540 pissed about about no Tires - Priceless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.