Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do you run tires in hard compound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Where is the 12 hour enduro race going to be held at?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rageworks
Where is the 12 hour enduro race going to be held at?
MBRC Courcelles, Belgium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-hkrCvNm4

Belgians organise awesome rc event, I love long races.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've ran hard compound when the racing line was too hot to hold the palm of your hand down on. They wore faster than medium.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
I've ran hard compound when the racing line was too hot to hold the palm of your hand down on. They wore faster than medium.
I agree... many times the softer pins will fold over instead of just getting "sanded" off.... I always run m3"s or Losi red... of course i live in ohio though , crazy humidity but not extremely hot.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE
I agree... many times the softer pins will fold over instead of just getting "sanded" off.... I always run m3"s or Losi red... of course i live in ohio though , crazy humidity but not extremely hot.
Softer tires will grab more then a harder tire, giving more forward bite and less tire slip.. If the Tire gets too hard it can actually wear faster then a softer equal.. It is a balance, especially when you don't have a big budget, and want to run some bigger events away from your home track..
Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tough to call sometimes

I seem to use soft or M3 most of the time, but I run a lot of races on tracks with a bit of water on them, and it's hot here in Texas. The trouble is when a harder track is run dry. I just don't know what to do. Some say to run a medium tire on the harder dry tracks, I thought the softer tire would grip better on the dry hard tracks, but if the track is dusty outside track I guess the medium would work better.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by merdith6
I seem to use soft or M3 most of the time, but I run a lot of races on tracks with a bit of water on them, and it's hot here in Texas. The trouble is when a harder track is run dry. I just don't know what to do. Some say to run a medium tire on the harder dry tracks, I thought the softer tire would grip better on the dry hard tracks, but if the track is dusty outside track I guess the medium would work better.
You need to change tread pattern when the track is run dry / blue groove as well as the compound of the tire... IE a Short pin tire with a harder compound. It is just hard (expensive) trying to keep up with all the different tires one needs..
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default tires

would u run hard tires on a soft track??
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

If you are doing a 12hr race maybe see about the Proline knuckle 2.0 if it's still made. You could also put the cuts like Chad Bradley and Mark Pavidis use to do.

I think the compound is a individual thing. There are a bunch of things that help make-up the choice of tire. I ran a set of Crimefighters XTR when others said they weren't the best tire. I TQ'd. I used them when it was what I felt was hot. I noticed it felt like other tires were almost greasy feeling. I thought the softer compound was getting to hot and I was loosing traction. So I went to the harder compound. Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77
would u run hard tires on a soft track??
Soft track always get blown out, so a soft tire will flex better..
Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
If you are doing a 12hr race maybe see about the Proline knuckle 2.0 if it's still made. You could also put the cuts like Chad Bradley and Mark Pavidis use to do.

I think the compound is a individual thing. There are a bunch of things that help make-up the choice of tire. I ran a set of Crimefighters XTR when others said they weren't the best tire. I TQ'd. I used them when it was what I felt was hot. I noticed it felt like other tires were almost greasy feeling. I thought the softer compound was getting to hot and I was loosing traction. So I went to the harder compound. Good Luck!
I'm actually hesitating between hard and medium compound.

To me proline knuckles and AKA Enduro seem to be a good choice to race for so long. I only found them in medium compound. I'm wondering if AKA Enduro in medium would last longer than a crossbrace in hard compound for example

What do you think?