Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Diving in to the Truggy World >

Diving in to the Truggy World

Diving in to the Truggy World

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

^^^ I think you summed it up well. Just because its cheaper doesn't mean its crap!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Honestly you can flip a coin BC any given day, any car can be beaten/ win. So you really should focus on what your looking for. Be it stability, traction, corner speed, whatever I'm not sure there is one car that is the see all be all but it's about what car "YOU" can drive fast. Not what others can drive fast. I also would consider part support and what others are driving at your local track. If you cant get parts your up the creek without a paddle. From racer to racer it's always good to know that if you break something you can go grab a part off the wall (in the hobby shop) or you know you have a buddy that has the same car so you can grab a part from him. But if you have a car the nobody has then you'll have trouble finding parts, your set up questions wont get answered very quickly BC you'll have to ask us. End result will be you leaving the hobby BC of frustration due to not being competitive or always having to special order parts.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DPowers
Its funny i am a team driver for HB and the only thing i have on mine is alum rear hubs and i ran the stock ones without breaking them but i dont hit everthing in my way neither but as for hop ups thats funny the 2 fastest guys around here in truggy are me and coty ingram, he runs a mugen mbx6 and i run a almost bone stock d8t and i turn just as fast of lapes as he does all the truggys are good that are out there but when someone talks all this crap about needing this and that for the Hb cars to me its bull and yes i ran almost ever car on the market and i choose hb i would just get what the best part support is around ur area.
you make a great point Dennis..i race with you and Coty in last year series between dalton & battlefield..last year coty was racing a losi and damn he fast..anyway best advice be gave me is to calm down learn throttle control arojnd turns & jumps

the 2 lhs i deal with Dalton RC & Battlefield rc keep losi parts so if ya lhs supply parts go with that brand, hell 6 months to a year something new coming out and the debate will start all over again lol
Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I'm extremely happy with my LOSI. With that being said. When I was looking for a truggy I came across the D8T and thought it was cheap and built for bashers. Let me tell you... my opinion changed seeing them perform at the track. They're just as worthy a contender as anything else. As long as it's one of the major manufacturers and has good support locally I think you will be happy with whatever you buy.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
you make a great point Dennis..i race with you and Coty in last year series between dalton & battlefield..last year coty was racing a losi and damn he fast..anyway best advice be gave me is to calm down learn throttle control arojnd turns & jumps

the 2 lhs i deal with Dalton RC & Battlefield rc keep losi parts so if ya lhs supply parts go with that brand, hell 6 months to a year something new coming out and the debate will start all over again lol
I didnt get to run the points series last year i was working all the time but we have had some good racing this year and its never really the car it has alot to do with throttle control and just learining ur car is a big part of it also pluse if u cant get what u need to fix it then u will just be sitting around waiting so part support is a pluse but there is always Amain lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ahhh..If you only you could buy experience! too many people say "buy this or that" but the reality of racing is learn your vehicle and track(s) and you will always be better off than a person that walks into a shop and buys the "best" race gear and still lacks in experience. People stay at the top for a lot of reasons..but the main one is that their vehicle is on the ground more than on the shelf.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Ok gents, first of all you/we cant compare off the shelf kits to that of a Factory Team Driver. You can believe all the hype you want about this and about that. I dont care what no one tells me, the HB TEAM Drivers run ALL the hop ups on their stuff and so does every other company. The problem with HB is not the price at all. I have been beat by every truck out there. Its not because of HB price. I have seen them run good every once in a while. But between local racers and watching Nats, really following Nats, HB did not look good. One of their best drivers did not make the main and alot of people who drives it had nothing but problems all weekend. THAT MAKES A PRODUCT LOOKS BAD. It don't matter whose fault it is. example - if you go to a friends home and he has a brand new Sony LED and he hooked it up with the wrong cables the picture looks bad, your going to think twice before you buy that TV. Same with all products. IMO there is nothing extremely bad about any one of these trucks. You get what you want. You do not have to agree with anyone opinion. But I will say that I know a few people that have spent more money on the HB than I spent on my Losi. When I put my Losi on the track, I do not worry about problems, cause it has been very dependable. My son HB has had nothing but problems and broken parts. Speaking of which, I will spend the money and get him the mugen or losi, hes had the HB for a month and has had more broken parts and more problems than his old ofna.

And AE RC8T CE is not a bad truck at all. The problem with AE is that people feel they are getting screwed when they just dropped 500 on a truck or buggy and next week AE releases the same one with all the hop ups. They have had about 15 service pack updates. But the CE IMO is dialed.

Losi
mugen
hb
ae
od
xray
serpent
etc

they are all good in their own right, each have their problems but all are capable of winning.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Token,

I think you forgot to mention Adam Drake didn't make the a main in one of his cars at nats. It was a driver mistake, not the car.

As far as it goes for your son, I know the feeling of always having broken stuff and it's so frustrating!!! That makes the hobby unenjoyable. However I have only broken one part (rear hub) and that's because a local racer at rat hit me on the straight away going full speed when I was slowing down for the turn.

I have been doing this for 6 months and my hot bodies has been through hell and it's still running great!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
Hey Token,

I think you forgot to mention Adam Drake didn't make the a main in one of his cars at nats. It was a driver mistake, not the car.
drivers make mistakes...the buggy/truck is only an extension of the racer....just because you chose an rc8t,8ight t,mbx6t, does not make you a winner ....sorta like a chance raffle, the right set up . on that track, clean laps and you can beat a dirty racer with $$$$ spent and he will go home in a months time and sell his set up and say "im moving to another hobby etc.....
Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Token,

As far as it goes for your son, I know the feeling of always having broken stuff and it's so frustrating!!! That makes the hobby unenjoyable. However I have only broken one part (rear hub) and that's because a local racer at rat hit me on the straight away going full speed when I was slowing down for the turn.

I have been doing this for 6 months and my hot bodies has been through hell and it's still running great!
who are you? Where do you race?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

You can't judge a car by how it finishes at pro races. The drivers in the "D" mains are just as fast as the "A" too often. Thats racing. At that level some luck is involved.

And howmany people that judge a car by pro races even make the "F" main anyway???

Is a "b" main finish at a big pro race really a deal breaker? It shouldn't be.

As for parts....most pro's are running off the shelf hopups available to anyone. Not like the old days where every car out there was unobtanium. Some guys do have to run some stockish cars for R&D purposes.

The fast truggies I've seen:
HB D8t, Xray XT8 (old fashioned handleing), Mugen 6t, Losi 8t.

There is something about the D8t. Good rotation like a Losi, but it feels heavy and planted. Good shocks. Cheap CVD's. The truck just works.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by token
who are you? Where do you race?
I race at MHOR quite a bit, and I have only raced outdoors once. I raced RAT at the memorial race... were you there?

Who are you, where do you race?

Oh, I'm from aurora too!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DPowers
I didnt get to run the points series last year i was working all the time but we have had some good racing this year and its never really the car it has alot to do with throttle control and just learining ur car is a big part of it also pluse if u cant get what u need to fix it then u will just be sitting around waiting so part support is a pluse but there is always Amain lol.
lol...hopefully i can race on the 24th @ dalton & the rest of the points race...time to blow the dust off the truggy...well hope to see ya i be sharing a pit table with rob
Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

I race at MHOR quite a bit, and I have only raced outdoors once. I raced RAT at the memorial race... were you there?

Who are you, where do you race?

Oh, I'm from aurora too!
I have been to all the Big races except for Nats (watched on live RC).

I dropped by the Memorial race to give my money but did not race. Im not a electric person so I dont go to Mhor often.

Its only like 2 black guys i think, Ateam run AE - Im the other one.....
Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by token

Its only like 2 black guys i think, Ateam run AE - Im the other one.....
Haha that was a good laugh. Do you race at Longmont? I'm going to try to make it up there this Sunday. What classes do you race?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.