Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you level the playing field?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How do you level the playing field?

Our local track is looking at a new TC class that is loosely based on VTA. The idea is to use any TC chassis and keep the speeds and expense under control. We would use modern GT style bodies instead of muscle car bodies and regular TC tires. My question is this. How can we use modern motors and speed controllers while keeping the speeds and expense in check. We would also like to see cars that are fairly evenly matched. I have a Tekin 21.5 motor and RS speedo in my VTA car and I can make this thing too fast for what we are aiming for. It would also be nice if we could come up with something that would allow people to use equipment they already own and not have to go out and buy an new spec system.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The playing field is never going to be equal.Buit our series is going with a specfic motor and esc for 80.00 cost with the RCGT class for next year. It's I believe a speed passion brushless motor and a non adjustable esc. Any GT body by HPI.tires I'm not sure but you can find out that information.You could contact Superior Hobbies as they are supposed to carry this comb for our series (Florida State electric series). That's about allI know as I don't race this class.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ditto what Bullfrog posted

Go to the Florida Message boards look for Tim Potter under Village Raceway.

Speedpassion Cirtix club spec ESC is what you are looking for. $80 bucks or so for a 17.5 motor and ESC combo. Word is they are supposed to have a 21.5 combo as well.

If you don't want to go that route, check into the Novak Havoc/GTB speed controls. No timing advance and they are dirt cheap used these days.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

We are considering adding a rollout rule at our club. This would allow people to use different motor/ESC combos and still even out the playing field.

Basically faster cars would have to gear down...It's already an expensive hobby and buying new gear isn't always an option for everyone.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bside
We are considering adding a rollout rule at our club. This would allow people to use different motor/ESC combos and still even out the playing field.

Basically faster cars would have to gear down...It's already an expensive hobby and buying new gear isn't always an option for everyone.
Good luck with scrutineering that, the best option is what was mentioned before with the no timing software that the different esc manufacturing companies will bring out.

Just my $0.2
Old 07-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

make rules and stick by them,dont bend them for anyone
Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Good advice. Thanks

I may have found one solution on my own. I just read the USVTA rules for the 2010 season. I like how they are thinking. That, combined with the $130 price tag for the Novak VTA spec system looks pretty tempting. Does anyone have any experience with this new 25.5 VTA system that Novak has developed? Can you compare it speedwise to something so I have an idea where we will be if we go this route?

Thanks again and if you have some other idea please let me know.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The cirtix system seems to be the answer you are looking for. It is hardly adjustable and levels the playing field out well...and affordable for many racers...
Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

You could do what our local club still does for touring stock and have brushed silver cans.
I used to take the piss about it (it's our national level stock motor), but after what i've read in the last few years, it's the only option that makes sense.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JR007
You could do what our local club still does for touring stock and have brushed silver cans.
I used to take the piss about it (it's our national level stock motor), but after what i've read in the last few years, it's the only option that makes sense.
There's a lot of truth in that. We are going to run a TT-01 class with silver cans this year. Been testing these over the past few weeks and we have them working really well. We wanted to go faster with the class in question here. We are considering using the Sport Tuned Black Can motor. We will test that against a Silver Can and a 21.5 brushless with no timing in a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference. It's hard to beat a $20.00 throw away motor
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've been running the Havoc/25.5 in VTA...

Runs great, gearing may be tough for some. I'm at 4.5 or so, but that's on a 80x32 outdoor track. I've heard some larger tracks are getting closer to 3.5.

I'd say it's above a Silver Can, but not as fast as 27 turn brushed. It does offer great speeds for a newbie or door-to-door racing. You really have to drive the perfect lines to keep the speed up. Another reason i like 25.5 is the fact that i feel like i'm driving the car. Our track is so tight and technical that 17.5 is like pulling the trigger and holding on.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Another vote for the Speed Passion Cirtix. They come in 21.5,17.5,13.5 I believe. Pretty sure they're all the same price. Our local track had the 17.5 for $70 and they run. We have two TC classes. One for the stock spec and another for open esc. Seems to be working well and is popular.

Rob........
Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robio
Another vote for the Speed Passion Cirtix. They come in 21.5,17.5,13.5 I believe. Pretty sure they're all the same price. Our local track had the 17.5 for $70 and they run. We have two TC classes. One for the stock spec and another for open esc. Seems to be working well and is popular.

Rob........
really???? only for 70bucks?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Robio

Rob........
Can you give me an idea of how the 17.5 and 21.5 compare to a 27t stock brushed motor?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by woodys3b
Can you give me an idea of how the 17.5 and 21.5 compare to a 27t stock brushed motor?
They're both faster especially on tight small tracks where the torque superiority of the BL motors shines. 17.5 way faster, 21.5 marginally. On wide open tracks perhaps you could hang on with the 21.5 if the BL esc is fixed timing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.