Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surge Worldwide

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That hurricane could be a blessing for me....it might give me enough time to get my car back together, maybe i might not miss the regional after all.....
Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm thinking we should quickly invest in some R/C boats.. The way Jackson pools water I bet we'd be able to run em'!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I already have my Surge rubber ducky loaded with my r/c stuff just in case,Gary get off-line and start building that new chassie
Old 08-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Regional Moderator

Has anyone else tried out the Redline Motors 19 turn offering yet. Here are my results with this motor.

For anyone wondering why I am posting this here it is because Redline Motors are a Surge partner company. I'll post this in the 19t thread also.

Redline Motors 19 turn (Orion Element based) motor Review....

I received this motor about a week ago. It arrived quickly and well packaged. Upon inspection it looked very clean and well prepared. Brushes were properly seated and the arm was shimmed perfectly. The brush hoods were sized perfectly to the bushes allowing for smooth movement but very little side to side slop inside the brush hood. E.J. does a very good job perparing his motors. My only (very small) nit was that no DYNO numbers were included.

The initial test of the Redline 19t motor didn't go as well as expected (but read on to find out why). I had the local hot shoe run his current Orion Element (the RedLine 19t motor is based of the Orion Element) prior to trying the RedLine motor. He has been running this motor for several weeks and it is the fastest motor that we have seen on our track to date. However, it was not a fast motor from the start. He has been using it for a while and the comm. was getting dangerously small by the time it started to get as fast as it is. The comm. size on test day was just under .268 (one cut smaller but wasn't measured after the cut). The comm. on his Orion Element motor disintegrated later that day.

We started the test with the tried and true (but aging) Element motor. As before, the motor was fast and turned some of the fastest laps ever on the current layout. Then we switched out to the 19t RedLine motor and used the same gearing (128 spur, 33 pinion, 2.31" tires) in his Losi XXX-s. That is about a 7.1 FDR (Final Drive Ratio). Worth noting is that E.J. from RedLine suggested a FDR of 5.8-6.1 (or even 5.7)... HINT-HINT. After the test run of the new RedLine motor the tester had this to say: "It seemed a bit slow on the straightaway and just seemed a bit flat in the infield". His times were slightly slower with the Redline motor (maybe .25 seconds). That ended the first test. The motor came out of the 5 minute test run warm but not hot... maybe 130ºF (just a guess).

The following Wednesday I ran the car in my TC3 and geared it 39/93 with 54.5mm tires (getting pretty thin). On the TC3 that comes out to a FDR of 5.9. I ran the motor and felt as thought it had more punch and straightaway speed than my Reedy Quadmag 19t motors geared the same way. The motor came out of the 5 minute run reasonably hot (Or I'd say just about right) but I hit quite a few boards and wasn't very smooth (can you say too fast) so I probably heated it up more than I would on a clean run. No comm. color changes or brush burning. It was obvious that this motor wanted a whole lot more gear than a 7.1 FDR to show it's true colors.

In the Main I had a little solder issue and didn't finish the race (oops!) and only got about 3 minutes of the race in. After the race I let the previous tester, the track director and local hot shoe, test the motor in my car with gearing closer to what E.J. suggested and a battery that definitely wasn't at it's peak voltage anymore. His response was "Wow... that's fast". He seemed to think that, when geared the way it was supposed to be geared, the RedLine motor was faster than his (now deceased) Orion Element. I also noticed that the Redline was still maxing out about 1/2 way down the main straightaway. So I think there is room for an even higher, 5.8 or 5.7 FDR, gearing with this motor and tires as small as I am currently using. In the main, before my unfortunate desoldering incident, I ran a 12.22 best lap. That is about .3 seconds from that fastest lap on this track. I'm not quite as good a driver as the original tester so there was definitely room for improvement on my lap times. I watched the original tester running laps with my TC3 after the race and he was definitely dipping into the 11 second range. I would not be surprised if he set a new lap record but we did not have the computer running. He was runnign better lines and maintaining his speed better than I do.

In my opinion I'd have to say the RedLine 19t motor is the fastest 19t motor to hit our track so far. It is definately the fastest motor I have run in my touring car. I have run Trinity Chameleon 2 motors and Reedy Quad Magnet motors and the Redline motor beats them hands down. With room for a taller gear and the possibility for a speed increase as the comm. gets smaller, this is going to be a very competitive line of motors at our track. I would recommend the RedLine 19t motor to anyone wanting a competitive edge in the 19t class. It's a great motor and E.J. has been very responsive and helpful when I have had questions about his motors or just motors in general.

Stay tuned for my test results of the RedLine Motors 19 turn hand wound armature. I'll try to get a bit more hard data this time.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

In other words.. Redline motors RIP!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

In other words the extreme g-forces pulled while going around a corner on the track caused one of the motor wires to violently rip off the the motor killing his car in the middle of the track. Forcing me to risk life and limb dodging traffic to fish his car out of the middle of the track.

Or at least that is the way it will come across in the made for TV movie based of the true story of one mans poor soldering skills.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have been trying to get my hands on some of these redline motors. Can someone please tell me who is carrying them or where I can order them?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by JJ187RC
I have been trying to get my hands on some of these redline motors. Can someone please tell me who is carrying them or where I can order them?
Redline Motors
[email protected]
(415) 640-2098

Tell em' Surge sent ya!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Regional Moderator

You guys crack me up.

JJ... you can contact E.J. Evans at [email protected] to order motors. He may be out of town at the moment but he will set you up when he gets back. Or maybe he is in a shelter hiding from that hurricane. I'm not sure if he is based out of that area.

Gary... I dropped an email back to Jon about my packs. Give me a call if you have any questions. I left my number with your "receptionist"
Old 08-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Regional Moderator

Ooops... I was too slow.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Guys.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Jon,You got pm and Im going early tommorow
Old 08-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good luck to all Surge Drivers going to the the race at Jackson.

Gary - You got PM.

L8R, TK
Old 08-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Good luck guys Gary i will call you next week
Old 08-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Just got off the phone with Eric Anderson and got informed about todays results from the NORCA Nats in Georgia. CONGRATS Mike Collins on your TQ and 2nd in the 19t touring a main at the NORCA Nats. Also congrats to Eric Anderson on a great A main run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.