Modified motor forum.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modified motor forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

trf even if the same guy runs both companies and he keeps it as seperate inteties it still is seperate compenies.
perfect full scale examples:Vw owns scoda ,seat ,and lamborghini. Ford owns maza, jaguar ,and auston martin .
do people people see as one and the same company NO!
And the thing so what who really cares!

I have reedy motors, and phantom motors in my box they are yokomo based motors,
I also have top based motors one has a peak aurora label( By the way Rick I'll take a hand me down! and one with a orion label.
The truth is which one do I like the one I win with the most! tne tops motors.
even though I win also with the kr I still like the delivery from the tops Line up.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Joe/Rick, do you think the brush narrowing trick will be an advantage at the nats where there will be a 10turn limit? I narrowed my brushes and ran them over the weekend in my 10turn, on my MPM the amp draw went down about 3amps, rpms went up slightly, on the track I felt like the motor was about the same as before, maybe a little better on top end, but a little less punchy. My guess is with the lower amp draw you gain some runtime? Anyway, just curious about your thoughts on that. We are loving the v2 technology in sedan, it's nice to leave the lathe in the trunk!

racer-oZ
Old 06-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

And racer-oz is not lacking in HP!!!!!! I am switching, call me a believer.

Last edited by Doug Gaut; 06-07-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Old 06-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

any body have a chart beside the reedy one for starting points fo gearing modifieds and also a list for timing adjustments for each particular wind!
Old 06-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

i don't think the chart will help.

better ask your ppl at ur track for the rough ratio.

i used my 8T at ratio 7.8 at my track 200' x 70'
i used 8T at ratio 10.0 at the other track 120' x 50'

so if i give u a staring point 8.2 does i help u if u are not running in my track???

just my 0.02
Old 06-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

for timming i don't trust on deg. used a motor checker. staring at 8 A and fine tune the ratio and Amp.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well, I'm not so much of a mod guy....I'm hardcore stock. But I have run my fair share of mod races and have come to figure that just gearing and timing should be set to personal feel and preferance. I'm also an off-roader so on the occation that I run mod, I "time" the motor for the biggest jump and "gear" the motor for the corner. As long as it "feels" good, and isn't cooking after the race, I'm happy. Its all about on track testing.

I think of it like this...."Am I clearing the big quad?"...yes. "Do I have the pop that I wan't out of the corner?"....no. So, I'll pull out your handy dandy gear ratio chart and find a ratio that is 3 tenths (or so) higher. Then vwala, problem solved. The only time I really mess with timing is when I need plain 'ol more speed. When I race on our indoor tight track, then the timing goes down and gearing is the focus. When I race outdoor on our ginormous flowing track, timing goes up and gearing is the focus....Thats how I do it atleast....
Old 06-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

a greed with u, but for me

for high speed track tune the set the motor to achive 5.5 minutes so i can get max power out of it no point if your motor can run 6, 7 minutes if the race only last for 5 min.

for slipery and small track i'll set to my best feeling of handling
Old 06-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

i understand gear ratios and i know to ask a local i am a stock and 19t racer i do well but just been a while since i have run mod and dont remember the starting points for a mod motor especially on this new breed of motors especially kr series!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Question

This the first time i ever touched a mod motor, i purchased one second hand. I was just wondering if they are really that free?? I can literally spin the motor with my fingers does this mean its SHOT? Because when i free up my stockies bushings there not this loose i know there diffrent. The motor is a Reedy PT.

Thanks,

Luie
Old 06-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

no something is wrong with it the mod motors are supposed to be tighter when trying to turn by hand!
Who ever ran that motor before you might have burned it!
actually are you checking it with or with out brushes because that would also change things!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Question

Originally posted by FUK_WRX
This the first time i ever touched a mod motor, i purchased one second hand. I was just wondering if they are really that free?? I can literally spin the motor with my fingers does this mean its SHOT? Because when i free up my stockies bushings there not this loose i know there diffrent. The motor is a Reedy PT.

Thanks,

Luie
It's because of the quad magnets, this makes the motor feel very free.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
no something is wrong with it the mod motors are supposed to be tighter when trying to turn by hand!
Who ever ran that motor before you might have burned it!
actually are you checking it with or with out brushes because that would also change things!
Its has springs and brushes on it, i removed the brush now and its spins so freeely.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

try to get your hands on someone elses motor similar at that and see if it feels the same, usually there is some tension due to the magnetic forces! it shold not free spin like you mention!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.