Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
what engine are you guys curently running? >

what engine are you guys curently running?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what engine are you guys curently running?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 04:38 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by baller360
an sts d5 are those good engines, how much do they run for?
Cheap; $135

They are good value engines. About the same speed as the Novarossi NS12
Old 05-24-2004, 04:39 PM
B
Tech Master

repost
Old 05-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

have you seen a novamega sx-12 ss 3pt running at your track?how does it compare to the serio evo 2 and the mugen x-12?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:23 PM
afm
Tech Master

I thought you said only 3 port engines (Legal ROAR racoing engines) The STS D5 is a 5 port engine, and eventhough they perform well on hands of experienced drivers, overall quality is not yet at par with Italian engines, at least from what I've seen at my track.

AFM
Old 05-24-2004, 05:31 PM
afm
Tech Master

have you seen a novamega sx-12 ss 3pt running at your track?how does it compare to the serio evo 2 and the mugen x-12?
Yes, at my track this Sunday I raced against 3 of those Novamegas, they are as fast as my Sirio Evo2, but I would say that my Sirio is a notch faster at top end. I finished second behind an RB V12 Rody Tuned $340.00 engine with my $199.00 Sirio (Moded by me), and he won because I admit he is a better driver than me, but during some close racing during a heat, our performances were on the bumper racing at some points, and me with an old Yokomo GT4 and him with a Kyosho V one RR Evolution.
AFM
Old 05-24-2004, 05:48 PM
afm
Tech Master

................... i would get the sirio evo 2 but this thing that these guys are saying about that engine makes it sound like a cheap engine they say how it looses compression and the carb sucks and the conrod snaps or breaks or somthing like that its quite disturbing that i would buy a engine and it will break after i ran about a gallon of nitro through it or, after i ran it for about 3-5 hours in total.
I must admit that I made some mistakes with my Sirio during Break-in, because i did it as if it were a Nova engine, but these engines require much less Break-In period in order for them to last and perform well. Read my last post on Tips for Sirio engines.

If you treat them like the factory suggests, you won't have any problem. The construction quality is superb.

All of todays high reving high HP engines require constant checking of conrod wear, and when they say change the conrod after 2 to 3 hours of hard racing, it is for safety and performance reasons, not because of breakage or bad quality.

I know that many top drivers change the conrod after Break-in process, in order to have a perfect engine for racing. Don't forget that some of these guys run 30% Nitro, and that puts a lot of heat and strain over an engine.

My point is that it is very difficult or impossible to get an engine with that performance, and quality for that price.

I also admit that when my wallet allows it I wan't to try the Mugen X12, because i think that on that price bracket of standard Nova based engines it has the edge over the others. There is one guy (top driver) that will race one on our next meeting, and I will know for certain hand to hand how it performs, but from what i've read it should be really fast.

AFM
Old 05-24-2004, 06:12 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by afm
All of todays high reving high HP engines require constant checking of conrod wear, and when they say change the conrod after 2 to 3 hours of hard racing, it is for safety and performance reasons, not because of breakage or bad quality.

Yes true. I think on Novarossi's website they suggest changing conrods in the same time period.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

afm after the next meet can you tell me how how the engine performed (mugen x12) because i might get it.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:59 PM
afm
Tech Master

afm after the next meet can you tell me how how the engine performed (mugen x12) because i might get it.
You'll have to wait until last week of June, which is our next race.
But as I said, you can't go wrong with the Mugen, I have the imformation that it is faster then the Sirio.
Now if it is a question of Budget, and you don't have the doe to get that Mugen, you won't regret the Sirio either. Your choice, wan't to wait????
I would recommend that you talk to Uriah Murnan, he works with both engines and has raced both of them, he currently races with the Mugen. He Builds Sirios for Barry Baker, have you checked his web site as i posted couple of posts back????
AFM
Old 05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

how are those trinity rossi black pixis?
i dont really know the exact name cause they call it so many different names but you know the black pixis. also do all sirio engines come with a black head on it now, and is rossi pixi an engine line too? they got so many engines out there i dont know what to choose!!

but let me narrow it down

1.i want a 3port engine

2.turbo

3. .12

4. 1.50hp or above

5.willing to spend no more than $290.00

6.and it doesnt matter if its modified by michael salven or the other top modifiers out there as long as its below $290.00
check your pm!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Im running a NS12 S5 JP.

My back up engines are:

STS D5
RS12 S3 JP

And that is all.

Cheers Deano
Old 05-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

does anyone here know about the novarossi ns15s5? have you ever raced against one is it a good engine?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

does anyone here know about the novarossi ns15s5? have you ever raced against one is it a good engine?
i think that is a a big block engine design for the 1/10 scale onroad 235 mm cars but i could be wrong
Old 05-25-2004, 07:41 AM
afm
Tech Master

It is the new short stroke "small block" 5 port .15cc engine from Novarossi, with performances similar to the "big block" .15cc engines for the 235mm class (1.8hp), but smaller and lighter and same size as a .12cc engine, so it fits a 200mm on-road car.
It is the ultimate "outlaw" engine. It has no official racing class yet, and from what I've heard it is very very dificult to drive on a 200mm car (to much power). Also very expensive.
AFM
Old 05-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default Motor choices

I've been running the OS 12TR on a short track in my NTC3 and I must say I'm more impressed with this little motor every race. Solid performer, but like all motors, you need to be at the right gearing/roll-out. I've been running against the fastest motors out there and have had no probelm hanging with them.

I guess before you decide to put a heap of cash and power into the car, you might check your setup and gearing for better speed/handling. To many times have I seen people go for the power thinking it will fix everything and then they end up in a lower main than before and having tuning issues.

My suggestion is: save money, have fun. On track with a straight less than 150ft, lock out the two-speed and stick with one gear. For an NTC3 with new tires, I'd suggest 21/54. For tracks over 150ft on the straight, I'd go with 21/54, 25/50.

Having found the right gearing/roll-out/setup, allows my meager 1.2hp motor to pull away from the pack.

I'm in no way a motor expert but talk to other who race in your area, get their advice, get their settings, and go have some fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.