Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR quit being stupid

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
Sounds like a bit of a racket to me, honestly.

Awesome! Just draft-up a Hold Harmless And Indemnity Agreement with the track owner: they aren't liable if you get hurt. You can get then get coverage from the link Monty posted higher up, and everyone wins; no being held hostage to stupid regulations.

See? ROAR really IS irrelevant in the modern world
The track I am discussing basically gives away the ROAR memberships. What they do is charge $15 for the first 2 club races instead of $10 and they send that first $30 to ROAR for us to pay for our membership, so in essence the track gets $0 from your first 2 races and in return you get a ROAR membership. They do this so everyone is insured and racers show up. They have a great system and it works well but if Joe shmoe shoes up one day to practice, he cannot unless he has a ROAR membership. They have added about 50 ROAR members because they are willing to give up their share of race entries to insure that everyone gets the membership and insurance and it worked out great for all of us, but cost them about $1500 in race fees
Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by houston
Is roar even worth staying a member anymore? Not really IMO

Heck here in region 11 , our regional "champ" right now is a F main sportsman driver at any decent sized event , roar is not really worth anything anymore and a hinderment to rc innovation .

Regional means nothing anymore , was a time and not long ago everyone the considered Roar regional worthy..

If Roar could change and begin focusing on the local programs things could improved for them..

They have a gold mine right in ft of them and all they seem to care about is rules & their National ...

The local guy has been push right out of their program...
Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

The first ROAR regional I attended was paved oval. Not sure of attendance but I know 10th scale stock went past “T” main. The only reason I remember is one of the guys we raced with weekly was in the “T”. They also ran 10th Mod and 12th stock and mod.

Why do I bring this up? ROAR meant something. ROAR still means something. Like it or not the rules that everybody runs under in the US can be traced back to ROAR simply because it is the oldest existing rule making body for RC racing in the US.

As far as insurance it’s a good deal for track owners ......... if they can convince racers that for less than the price of a set of tires they can join. Heck some tracks would not be running if it were not for ROAR insurance. Liability waivers are not worth the paper they are written on, any 2 bit lawyer will eat them for lunch.

Bottom line, if you race, the rules you run under are greatly influenced by ROAR. Want something changed, join, campaign for the change and vote for folks that will put those changes in place.

BTW, I am not apposed to body rules, just not in love with how they have been implemented.

Ed M.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
The track I am discussing basically gives away the ROAR memberships. What they do is charge $15 for the first 2 club races instead of $10 and they send that first $30 to ROAR for us to pay for our membership, so in essence the track gets $0 from your first 2 races and in return you get a ROAR membership. They do this so everyone is insured and racers show up. They have a great system and it works well but if Joe shmoe shoes up one day to practice, he cannot unless he has a ROAR membership. They have added about 50 ROAR members because they are willing to give up their share of race entries to insure that everyone gets the membership and insurance and it worked out great for all of us, but cost them about $1500 in race fees
That's a lot in race fees to give up, considering you can get $2,000,000 liability insurance for half of that if you shop around. Not to mention all the guys that just want to run on the track once without having to get a membership.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

When you thought they couldnt get more curmudgeonous they go off and one up themselves.

that one post about 90% of the monies taken in going to the directors pockets really wasnt suprising.

Good thing Rc Pro is around.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I've HATED roar with a passion for quite some time..............
Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bentgear
Liability waivers are not worth the paper they are written on, any 2 bit lawyer will eat them for lunch. Ed M.
Is this your professional legal opinion? Try to weasel out of a contract with me and see what happens.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well the whole thing about requiring membership before they can even use the facilities could be considered consent under duress.

my question is, lets say someone is injured at the track and files a claim. would they actually get paid? with the rest of roar being the way it is i bet those who need to file will get screwed
Old 06-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I did a little club race this am and they require roar so now my 2 year old has a roar membership too he wanted to stand on the drivers stand so now he's covered. It's cheap INS.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jaz240
1++++ What that track is doing is to provide the local racer the opportunity to help them and join while also helping themselves get covered, not a bad deal if you look at it from the risk of economics and perseverance to stay operating point of view.

I disagree with the Body rules, as these cars we race do not resemble anything like a Buggy or Truggy in the real world. I mean if its to be up to scale, there are many things on these kits that are not up to scale. Are they trying to tell manufactures what to design or not? Probably? But since it is not governed by one person and a body of members who's really at fault? Us? Why, well we have to ably by it, instead of standing our ground and say no... Like someone said, thank God for RC PRO.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If and when I ever decided to attend a roar sactioned event it will cost just that much more becuase and wrap and a body just for 1 event is not worth it imo to run that race.At our local track we have 2 to 3 big events and they may be enough for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by looper

that one post about 90% of the monies taken in going to the directors pockets really wasnt suprising.
you can view the balance sheet on their website. its all there for the world to see........all the BS
Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by captain america
Is this your professional legal opinion? Try to weasel out of a contract with me and see what happens.
Contracts are a different matter.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bentgear
Contracts are a different matter.
A written agreement IS a contract (offer + acceptance + consideration); if you don't even know that, then yes, you're probably better off just doing what the grown-ups tell you to do

The biggest problem to me isn't the fact that ROAR passes silly rules that annoy and cause discord among RC enthusiasts/manufacturers, or that they may be padding their own pockets, or that they may be favoring certain manufacturers to the detriment of others. The biggest problem is a lack of alternatives: if another group of people stepped up and offered an intelligent alternative to their mediocrity, they'd have no choice but to clean up their act or go out of business.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Yep, a contract is a contract, now get it to hold water againt a 14 year old that came out to the track without his parents and runs, lawyer thats willing to dig into every little thing that was not 100% correct anywhere at the track on race day, juries that love to give out money. Your hold harmless agreement just got turned into toilet paper.

There have been some alternatives in the past and presently there is RC Pro. NORRCA came and went. To come up with an alternative its going to take a very dedicated group of individuals, I think that is part of the ROAR problem. Look at the voting records, nobody even bothers.

Ed M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.