Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
If cost is the defining factor, bathtub chassis are not the limiting component. I just picked up THREE virtually brand new Losi JRXS Type R chassis for less than the cost of a new luxo touring car, and I have an entire box of spares, to boot. I now have not only an inexpensive high end RCGT car, but also a sick VTA car, and a third to use this summer outdoors on asphalt.

Bathtub chassis cars might be cheap, but they aren't the only way to race inexpensively.
The problem with this is you cant expect every new person to come on this website and scrounge around the for sale adds for days to find a good deal.

The idea behind the tub chassis is you can get them ANYWHERE for cheap and even CHEAPER here(that part should be mentioned).

sure you can get an assembled,thrashed TC3 with 10 lb of extra parts, but the new guy needs to understand how to build the car. get the experience of building the car. and the smell of fresh plastic
Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

JRXS type R $199 @ Horizon
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSK0256

Schumacher Mi1 1/10 Electric Touring Car Kit $164.99 @A Main
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit

Sakura Zero S $109 @HKS
http://store.hkshobby.com/product_in...6d0fb8781ec608

All brand new kit plate cars, as economical as anything out there. Not trying to be combative, but "tub only" takes away a lot of options
Old 02-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I guess I'm not sure how "tub only" makes it a better class for everyone.

So, a few new racers are less intimidated by a graphite deck chassis or cars with a lot of tuning options, or a handful of guys who don't know how to find a good deal can buy a kit at the local hobby shop for $150 can come out and race in RCGT or VTA.

Can't they do that now anyway? What is stopping them?

I don't think you see that the limiting of chassis to any given class eliminates FAR MORE people from that class than potentially can bring in. That's not good for anyone. If people want to buy $500 chassis in a spec class, then let them, but it has been proven over and over again in the last few years that plenty of tub chassis cars can and do compete on a fairly level playing field every weekend at tracks all over the country.

Eliminating the other 90% of the touring chassis on the market just to make a class supposedly more inviting to beginners or budget-conscious racers is really counter-productive to developing large car counts and consistent participation. Frankly, I can't see many other classes in road racing that are more inviting to new and budget-minded racers than VTA and USGT.

The big-picture question is, "will we increase participation and car counts across the board with a tub-only rule?" Honestly, I don't see ANY way that it is a positive gain for any class to put that type of stipulation on it.

That's just my experience in this industry, anyway.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Is this even up for debate ??!! C'Mon judge Rob.....I don't think everybody heard the gavel. Can we have a gavel slam just one mo' time !!!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, I was a tad off the reservation with the bathtub chassis thing. I'm thrilled with USGT and USVTA as the rules are written. Sorry for stirring the pot.

The issue I see, and I guess I really don't know how to fix it, is the perception that you have to have that $500 chassis and the latest and greatest electronics to be competitive in these classes.

Our track is in a mall. Every Saturday, we have maybe 30 or so people stop in to see what's going on. Several of them are really interested and start asking questions. As soon as they find out how much it costs, they're gone. Then we all scratch our heads and wonder how we can get more people racing. They're all at the off road track racing their Slashes.

So far, I have only seen two things that make road racing look accessible to the noob. Those are Tamiya M chassis cars and Tamiya TT-01s with silver can motors.

I don't get paid enough to solve this.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default My USGT TA-05

I love this class!

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well the easy way is to tell them you dont need a $500 chassis to be compete in VTA or USGT...Brian Smith made the "A-main" last year with a tub and plenty of ppl are winning every week with this type of low cost chassis...Im running my TC3(rtr) for USGT this year...it turn some really good laps against my 17.5 SS TC...not as fast but would make the "B" or better...

show them so results with the low budget car winning , like the JL-10 winning the RCGT race...WTF?...what is that a $120 chassis with some mods maybe?....

show them the way and you will see them come back...and racing
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
Ok, I was a tad off the reservation with the bathtub chassis thing. I'm thrilled with USGT and USVTA as the rules are written. Sorry for stirring the pot.

The issue I see, and I guess I really don't know how to fix it, is the perception that you have to have that $500 chassis and the latest and greatest electronics to be competitive in these classes.

Our track is in a mall. Every Saturday, we have maybe 30 or so people stop in to see what's going on. Several of them are really interested and start asking questions. As soon as they find out how much it costs, they're gone. Then we all scratch our heads and wonder how we can get more people racing. They're all at the off road track racing their Slashes.

So far, I have only seen two things that make road racing look accessible to the noob. Those are Tamiya M chassis cars and Tamiya TT-01s with silver can motors.

I don't get paid enough to solve this.
Shame on you for stirring that pot !! Man do I understand your frustration. I've seen that same look on peoples faces too. The key is to educate the people answering the questions. There's a better way to answer than "well, I have over a grand in my car". I actually had a club member say that and I choked as I was standing a few feet away. Once that's done there's no going back despite any effort. The key is to tell people the truth. This hobby CAN be entered into with a reasonable budget and we all know it. The problem is that to many racers inadvertantly think they need to show off their high end chassis with all the goodies. They're not being stupid...They're just not thinking before they talk. Here's an idea I'm using. the club should chip in and get a good, inexpensive chassis (new or used) , usable radio and electronics and have it available every time that question is asked. That way, the first impression people have is that they really can get into this with a reasonable budget AND that club members will help them find the best bang for their bucks.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Just to pass along some info on tires, tonight I had a chance to run the Integy IWTC tires and a set of C22 Pro Street Max V1 tires.

Both were pretty good, the car was actually locked down vs. being loose. This is even better considering the track was low to medium traction tonight. The C22 tires did not have quite as much steering or overall bite as the IWTC tires, but some of this may be due to the fact that the tread is fairly shallow. They would probably be better on a higher traction track. Also, I only got one run on each set, and they may get better as they break in.

The best part is both retail for less than $5 a pair.

I will continue testing, and compare to HPI tires, which are pretty much the gold standard at this point.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Evoracer
I've seen that same look on peoples faces too. The key is to educate the people answering the questions. There's a better way to answer than "well, I have over a grand in my car". I actually had a club member say that and I choked as I was standing a few feet away. Once that's done there's no going back despite any effort. The key is to tell people the truth. This hobby CAN be entered into with a reasonable budget and we all know it. The problem is that to many racers inadvertantly think they need to show off their high end chassis with all the goodies. They're not being stupid...They're just not thinking before they talk.
The truth is there is no better time to be new than now

Sakura Zero S $109
SpeedPassion Club spec esc and 21.5 motor $80
Spektrum DX3E DSM 3Ch Surface Radio (w/S200 Servo) $99
ProTek R/C 2S "Sport Race" Li-Poly 40C Stick Pack $59
DuraTrax Onyx 230 AC/DC $79

100 % brand new decent stuff, under $500 for everything you would need. If you chose an FM or funky 2.4 radio, or a HobbyKing battery, you could bring this down even more.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk

Sakura Zero S $109

100 % brand new decent stuff, under $500 for everything you would need. If you chose an FM or funky 2.4 radio, or a HobbyKing battery, you could bring this down even more.
And another great part is this setup is with a few inexpensive swaps it would be more than adequate to run in stock touring also.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

the whole ideal of having the best car in these 2 classes...is not really needed...@ the halloween classic i came in 7th in the A with a rtr tc 4...& @ the winter blast i came in 2nd...the the tub car are just as good
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robk

Sakura Zero S $109

You are absolutely correct. But when was the last time you saw a regular racer running this? We talk the talk but we don't walk the walk. Myron excluded of course

In 1980, I entered the RC world and started flying airplanes. My first radio had 4 channels and each channel had trim. That's all it did. It cost $200. $200 is probably equal to $400 today. Look at what you get in a $400 radio today.

I like the idea of having a car available at the track. I may have to do something like this.

One tire note. I'm not sure why, but the belted X-pattern tires when used in this class seem to last forever. I realize they cost more to buy, but they may be the real bargin in the long run.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by starrx
the whole ideal of having the best car in these 2 classes...is not really needed...@ the halloween classic i came in 7th in the A with a rtr tc 4...& @ the winter blast i came in 2nd...the the tub car are just as good
In the classes we are talking about, I'd say the tub cars are good enough. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are just as good. That being said, the other day, I swapped cars with the guy to beat in Trans Am at our track. He had a 21.5 in his car and wanted to see what a 25.5 felt like. His car is an Xray and he is a very talented driver and an expert chassis guy. We were both shocked at how similar our cars were. I'm pretty sure that if we would have raced with each others cars, the outcome would have been the same.

Once again, it all comes down to the guy holding the radio.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Company Representative

Say the word , and Novak will have a (US designed) RMF Havoc 2S/SSPro 21.5 combo like this:

RMF Havoc 2S Club Brushless Combo - 17.5T

Brand new full factory warranty, replacement/trade/upgrade programs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.