Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS TR engine thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Tech Rookie

I canceled my order for the R-spec because in 2 weeks I received 3 different promise dates 7/15, 7/30 now 8/31. So instead, I bought an RB V12 Turbo that I am sure will outperform the OS in every aspect, except $$$.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Tower Hobbies stikes again!!!!

Originally posted by rodneybarrett
For all of you who had your CC charged by Tower Hobbies on the 15th, you better call and have them credit your card.

I called them today and sure enough, the r-spec isn't in and won't be in until late august. However, instead of crediting my credit card, they were just going to have a credit on my account.

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

I had them credit my credit card until it actually arrives.
I am going to call now and take care of this, if this gets messy then I'll be taking a trip to Ultimate hobbies and getting the RB V12 Turbo
Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

just called tower, they told me it will be there at the end of august. I made them credit my credit card and right now i'm going to ultimate. I have waited way too long, school starts in one month and I want to play.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:44 PM
afm
Tech Master

This is what I got from my sources in Europe..........

AFM

O.S. Engines .12 TR R (E) -Spec Competition Engine

New from O.S. Engines is the .12 TR R (E) -Spec engine. This engine is specially configured to take advantage of the new ROAR and EFRA racing rules and to make as much power as possible. This engine features a new Hyper cylinder head that uses turbo-style glow plugs, which became legal for racing in the small-block classes for EFRA, IFMAR, and ROAR recently. An O.S. 11A slide carb. is installed, which is a competition-bred three-needle unit, optimized for maximum airflow.
Three transfer ports feed the cylinder, which is important because racing rules don't allow for more than three ports. The R (E) -Spec features genuine ABC construction, but for 2004, OS made a major improvement by replacing the old molded piston, by a superior grade high-silicone aluminum, machined / lightened piston, and a new sleeve with touring car timings. Always lots of torque and now nearly same RPM as Italian engines, OS reliable, easy to tune, and no over heating. A hot O.S. T-P6 turbo glow plug is included in the package.

Here are the power, rpm and other specs:

Stock Number: OSMG2007
Displacement: 2.11cc
Bore: 14.0mm
Stroke: 13.7mm
Practical rpm range: 4,000-38,000
Output: 1.5 ps @ 31,000 rpm
Weight: 218.3g

E-Spec, is made to conform EFRA rules, and what this means, is that the difference is on the crank:
“The crank hole shall have a max. dia. of 7.00mm at its end. The hole my be finished with a continuous unbroken chamfer with a max. width of 0.50mm if this is required for manufacturing purposes at the crank web end.”

R-Spec, is made to conform ROAR rules, and I would add it also conforms to IFMAR rules, were there is no restriction on crank hole size, or chamfer size at the end of hole, so flute on the turbo crank face may integrate into hole…….so it means MORE POWER…..
Old 07-20-2004, 04:18 PM
STi
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the R-Specs are arriving late August, I can't wait for it. I suppose I have to choose either the E-Spec or the TR-T 5-port.

I'm not sure about the crank differences between the two, but I sure like the fact that the E-Spec utilizes machined pistons and more aggressive timing.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

ok, i got the RB v12 turbo, but i have problems with hooking it up to the v one rr transmission because the 2nd gear pinion is touching the 1st gear spur, any advice?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

nevermind, i had the whole assembly on wrong and even the clutchbell wouldn't spin, now everything works, just got to fix the little stuff.

And i put a more aggresive gearing, so it should give me more top end and more bottom end, can't wait to see how this car drives.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:51 PM
STi
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

By the way, Nippon, please snap some pics of the internals of the E-Spec you have there.

Last edited by STi; 07-21-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just canceled my order with Tower and then reordered with the 15.00 off code.

I figure if i have to wait awhile to get my motor I should take advantage of the current discount offered.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

you should of ordered last month, you would of gotten $20 off your order. You won't get the engine till the beginning of September maybe you should cancel and wait for a better discount.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by FFR3582
I just canceled my order with Tower and then reordered with the 15.00 off code.

I figure if i have to wait awhile to get my motor I should take advantage of the current discount offered.
I'm going to order mine now too, except that I have a $20 off code. That will make this engine only $159.

This is about as big a discount code as I'm going to get, and it ends this month, so I figure I'd use it while the usings good.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by STi
By the way, Nippon, please snap some pics of the internals of the E-Spec you have there.
will take me a couple days i just got everything back together for the weekend. i ll try to get some posted next week
Old 07-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default OS Turbo plugs...

i don't know much about turbo plugs, and since I'm going to be gettng this engine, I figure I should start educating myself.

Q: Do the turbo plugs follow the same general usage guide lines that non-turbo plugs follow?

-What I mean is, I run 30% in my current engine. This of course requires a cold plug to avoid detonation. But while reading the RC Car Action recent issue, they say to use a hot plug anytime your running turbo plugs.

Q: Is the OS T-P6 hot turbo plug (included with the R-Spec) okay for 30% nitro?

-Or should I go for something a little cooler like the T-P7 medium or something much cooler like the T-P8 cold?

Just gathering some info ahead of time.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: OS Turbo plugs...

Originally posted by Darkseid
i don't know much about turbo plugs, and since I'm going to be gettng this engine, I figure I should start educating myself............
Just gathering some info ahead of time.
Here you have it........

The numbers and characters on the plugs, are the product number, wire thickness, and thermal range of the plug’s body. Example: The Mega Turbo 2315 6TF

Product Number: 2315
Wire Thickness: 6
Plug Type: T (Turbo)
Thermal Range: F (Fredda)(Cold)

The plugs with cold thermal range F(Fredda), have a body with thinner walls, so they dissipate heat better and faster to the engine head. So because of that:

·When the ambient temperature is high, we have to use a plug with thicker wire.
·Humidity determines if we use a Cold (F) thermal range, or Hot (C)(Calda) thermal range.
·With high humidity percentage we should use a Hot (C) thermal range plug.
·If we have high temperature and high humidity, we should use a plug with thick wire and a Hot(C) thermal range.

The best instrument to determine which Turbo Plug to use, is those weather panels they sell for Yachts, that have Temp, Humidity and Barometric Pressure on them. Have it calibrated at your local weather station, and bingo, you’re ready like the Pros.
That is the key to success or failure tuning engines with Turbo Glow Plugs, because they are so sensitive to weather variations that is unbelievable.

Following is a selection chart for Novarossi Turbo Glow Plugs:

Type Thermal Range Nitro% Temp.C Humidity%

C5TC Hot/hot wire 10-20 0-10 70-100
C6TC Hot/average wire 10-20 10-16 70-100
C7TC Hot/cold wire 20-30 16-25 70-100
C8TC Hot/ultra cold wire 20-30 25-up 70-100
C5TF Cold/hot wire 20-30 0-10 40-70
C6TF Cold/average wire 20-30 10-15 40-70
C7TF Cold/cold wire 20-up 16-25 40-70
C8TF Cold/ultra cold wire 20-up 25-up 40-70

Now, there should be some chart for OS plugs in their site that explains their range and applications the same way as per the Nova range.

Hope this helps

AFM
Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i may be way off but i was under the impression that you just about always want the hottest plug you can get for a .12 and adjust detonation with shims. ask motorman or dino or palmaris, they know everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.