Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worried about reliability of soldered connections

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by UCHEATULOSE
you mentioned soldered or soldering 3 times in that reply..this guy doesn't want to have anything soldered. he is claiming soldering or using solder joints is a bad idea.. he mentioned in hard hits the solder joints will come apart yet the rest of the car will survive ok? lol if you own a r/c car you will at one time or another be required to solder something... you might as well accept that fact and learn the proper method of a quality solder joint. again the best plug in the world over time will need to be sanded or shined up ..over time a well used plug will become suspect..i good hot iron (not a gun) in your pits is a must when racing..playing around and bashing plugs are for sure the way to fly..avoid soldering "guns" like the plague...if your serious about racing learn to solder..just want to play use plugs just my .02 but i have yet to pick up a r/c mag and had the winners car at a national event with plugs and pig tails and anything other than directly soldered..not to mention they remove the speedo cases and receiver cases to save weight..and thinking about speedos..ever wanted to replace those old wires or had one cut back so short it didn't reach your motor anymore? yup thats right they are also soldered in..i find replacing those wires on a regular basis ..in oval the placement of your electronics can be important..i cannot think of one negative effect directly soldering your electronics,batteries and motor has on performance..if you are in a wreck bad enough to break a solder joint you have more problems than that with your car,lol..get a broom and dust pan to pick it up...

as for the use of the cap button: did i hurt your ears? or did it effect your eyes when you read my post? loosen up
Wow, A more improved...smarter breed of basher who took the time to learn our sport....Thats kinda cool

Agreed, If your solder joints come off....YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. I've had speed controls & batteries fly out of my car before the any of the plugs come out or solder-joints seperated

In forums, it is considered rude to have caps lock on. Caps lock is a sign of yelling/shouting.
That, and I just felt like a cheap laugh ATM
Old 05-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Default I am convinced

I am convinced, I need to learn this skill.

Thanks for all the excellent posts and helpful advice.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: I am convinced

Originally posted by imjonah
I am convinced, I need to learn this skill.

Thanks for all the excellent posts and helpful advice.
go back and read your first post on this thread. what were you thinking???
Old 05-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: I am convinced

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
go back and read your first post on this thread. what were you thinking???
No kidding!!!

*Note - once when I was racing and had a big hit...the impact took one of my saddle packs apart. However the solder joint between the bar and batt was just dandy....the impact actually ripped the END CAP off of my cell!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

As far as irons go, I use a 20 year old Weller. It has done great for batteries. He also has the bent wire setup on another one and I agree they don't work as well. Infact I'm about to assemble my 4th pack with the Weller. It has a wide tip on it for battery soldering. My dad got it when he was learning electronics in night school. So how's that for longevity? And the price? $40 new when my dad bought it.
And when it comes to plugs I use the Sermos, simply because it allows me to color code the connectors (black/red) as well as linking them up together in a side by side or keep them separate for easier wire routing if I wish. I have also heard they have very low resistance. In 10+ years, they havent faulted me yet. I just make sure that I use different connectors on my motor.