Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default hinge pin mod

a modification I made because I kept losing e-clips on rough surfaces.

If you have access to metrical hardware, this one is quite easy to do, just take 4 M3x45mm cap head screws that have a 25mm shaft and some locknuts.

Front:
Make the threads further onto the shaft so that it is 23mm (instead of 25mm) long, cut the screw so that there is ~ 4mm thread left.

Rear:
Keep the shaft as it is and cut the screw so that there is ~ 4mm thread left.

The picture gives you an impression how to do it:

So what are the advantages?

1. You'll be able to disassemble the suspension within seconds, not fiddling with those e-clips
2. You can't loose these if you had problems with the hinge pins coming off earlier.
3. As play develops, you can eliminate it by gently(!) thighten the locknut further. Too much thightening will result in suspension binding.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been reading this thread for a while and have been impressed with this car (I'm thinking of getting one, my kids have Neo Griffins), and I was having a look at the motor mount which seems to be a problem and I was wondering if anyone had tried this:

Basically you cut the top deck just past the first hole going over the motor cam part (orange arrow in picture), this will allow the mount a little more flexibilty when tightening it down.

The second is to tap a 3mm/ 4/40 hole in that part of the mount (blue arrow) and put a screw there and tighten it down after you've tightened the normal screw. This is similar to a xx4, so it should work.

Anyone tried this?
Attached Thumbnails MRC / Academy SB Sport 4wd Buggy-publication2.jpg  
Old 08-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

I'm gonna be ordering an SB today and was wondering what spares I should order with it. What are the weak parts? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe a spare diff screw, pair of stub axles, just in case

If you are racing, 15x10x4mm bearing (x4), 10x5x4mm bearing (x4), if you can stretch to it, slipper clutch and turnbuckles too.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Are the differential screws a problem on the SB?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

They can be if the diff is left to slip, or you over tighten the diff, the other thing you could do is to order a thrust race and diff screw kit for the STR4 Rally, it is a thicker screw with smaller thrust race balls. I haven't done a screw, but I know those who have.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I know someone who snapped there diff screw, but I am not sure if it happend by him installing it the wrong way. Make sure that you setup the diff as it shows in the book.

If you have a dremel, you will want to waffle the cam as it has been discussed. I haven't had any more motor mount fall out issues since I have done that.

For spares, I would pickup a set of front arms and some axles, etc. If you kit comes with the plastic hexes, use those instead of the aluminum ones. Or, you can also see about using traxxas stampede hexes, I think the will work.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Well racing went well tonight. I managed to take second. The battle for 2, 3, 4 place was constant through the whole race. First was about three seconds up.

The car performed excellent after I figured out how to drive it on the new track.

I recieved the new slipper and 70 tooth spur gear so I did not shut down this week from over heating.

Everyone at the track was impressed with the car this week. There only concern is getting parts.

To get the center dog bone to seat better I shimmed the front cup out reducing the distance between to two cups.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

DUH, what is your basic setup/track surface you are racing on? I ran mine for the first time tonight and managed to pull the left front A arm out of the mount, bending the hinge pin. Nothing a hammer and a bit of patience couldnt fix. Cant wait to get out there and really try and sort out this car.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

cain- u run for academy? if so please shoot me a pm about sponsorship

Last edited by Biscuit; 08-15-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Legend

Good job racing guys.

The hinge pins can be bent pretty straight. If you rather new stuff I think you can get a pack of 4 for like 5 bucks or less.

Biscuit: I don't race for academy but I do keep in touch with Tim at MRC who is probably the best person to speak with there and the nicest you will meet. He gives me info on the vehicle and anything I bring up to him to address with Academy he does. If you want to be sponsored, give Tim at MRC a holler and give him your credentials. One of the sponsored drivers posts at www.rc10b4.com His handle is rickster.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Tech Legend

I think some of the prices on the hopups will start to come down a bit soon from what I have been told.

Anyone rig up the STR-4 Pro chassis on the SB? how much dremeling did you have to do?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Cain, it is only where the front bumper bolts on I believe, you would have to check it though.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Cookie, I agree, from what I have seen, you would have to remove the front bumper mount area, and dremel the rear area off again for the rear arm droop.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info guys. Got a line on a Pro that i think I am going to pull

If I get to bring my SB with me to ND, I am thinking of bringing some of my hingepin mounts to try a different kickup setting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.