Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sorex tires on exp rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Does anyone know the part# of the AE rims that are identical to the Yoks?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
Just wanted to revive this topic. I posted earlier that the Speedmind were best. I do agree with the above poster, they are almost indestructible and have been my favourite for ages.

But, entirely by accident, I found out something. I ran out of my usual Speedmind rims and had put together a set of Sorex28/Sorex rim/JB insert, and found the level of grip much higher with the stiffer Sorex rim. Night and day different with the 417, and slightly better with the Xray T3. The 417 was definitely more sensitive to the change. Permanent carpet track.

I would have thought there would be more grip with a flexible rim. So while I agree with the above poster, for club meetings and most people the Speedmind rules, there might be something in what RCMarket is saying in that the rim is too soft. I'm not too quick but rarely crash, and certainly I would like to try the Yokomo dish wheels to see if there is an improvement in grip and consistency.

Can anyone tell me the order of hardness of the Yokomo rims, I don't know which ones to buy, there are different model numbers.
There CAN be a difference in grip level with more flexible rims. I'm of the frame of mind that MOST club level racers (hobbiests on a budget) outdoors would be best served with more forgiving rims. Indoors, darn near everyone but the best would, too. Most people would prefer to have a flexible rim that survived a hit into the boards and was 90% as responsive as a stiffer rim, especially with premium (SOREX, etc) tires. That way, you still have a good set of tires/rims for the next meet!

If you're in the top 10-20% of your field, you're probably already in tune with what rim/tire/insert combo works best with your set up, and will choose what fits conditions anyway.

The reason you saw a difference is because you've found the sweet spot in your set up, and the dynamic forces are working your suspension properly instead of being hidden in the slight flex of the rims.

The 417 is a heck of a car, and if your skill level is sufficient that you can tell a difference in rims, then you know which ones to pick for the conditions! Just be aware that most of the rims that fit in the "hard/stiff" category are ABS, and will break where a nylon rim will flex. As a bonus, the ABS rims can be fixed with ABS cement from the plumbing section at any of the box home improvement stores. There are hard/stiff rims made from nylon, too, most notably the hot weather offering from Sweep.

Originally Posted by bukil
3991 is the current part number for the 24mm Aero Dish Wheels. Good general purpose wheel.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 07-05-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bukil
The Associated #3991 is the yok rim, I have a set of sorex mounted on these rims.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default wheel flex

i'd imagine that the flex of the wheel is in some ways similar to chassis flex. where you have a high grip permanent track, a rigid wheel would almost certainly be better if you already have plenty of grip, as the tire is now being worked properly.
on the flip side, is grip level is low, a flexible wheel would probably be best.

the fastest guy where i race on a high grip track races an xray with sorex 28's on top photon rims which are totally solid. his car is seriously planted and the only difference between his and the other xray team drivers is the wheels he is using. co-incidence? not sure, think the wheels may have more of an effect than people realise!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mb3195
i'd imagine that the flex of the wheel is in some ways similar to chassis flex. where you have a high grip permanent track, a rigid wheel would almost certainly be better if you already have plenty of grip, as the tire is now being worked properly.
on the flip side, is grip level is low, a flexible wheel would probably be best.
THIS

TOP rims are ABS, and very stiff, maybe stiffer than the Schumacher RevLites. They're pretty tough, too. Don't forget that temperature plays a role in how the rim flexes, too. ABS gets very brittle when it's colder. The afore mentioned RevLites do not fare well in the lightest of taps when the temperature gets cooler.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
ABS gets very brittle when it's colder. The afore mentioned RevLites do not fare well in the lightest of taps when the temperature gets cooler.
I can attest to this. Those revlite rims seem to crack if you look at them the wrong way. Not quite as bad as Muchmore though.

I'm not good enough yet for hard rims. Even on my best days I usually tap a board or 2. Fortunately a local hobby shop sells sorex on speedmind rims (glued in house) and a local racer also sells sorex tires, speedmind rims and various inserts.

I've never broken speedmind, sweep exp, jaco prism or solaris spoked rims. All of them can take a good beating. I agree with you Bukaroo about the wobble that speedminds can get after a good smack. They seem to stay warped a bit more than some other rims. I've had it happen with all of the brands I mentioned though, to some degree.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by locked
I can attest to this. Those revlite rims seem to crack if you look at them the wrong way. Not quite as bad as Muchmore though.
Agreed. Muchmore rims seem to crack/break whenever a mouse farts near them.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good comments on this thread

Think I'd like to try the Yokomo 1012-2, I've been advised that its hard, and an excellent fit for Sorex 28.

I did have the TOP rims, not sure if i remember correctly but they came up a little small on the Sorex. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here in the UK the Revlites are the most common, very hard material, but they crack so easily, and are very expensive. I found a Revlite stiff though, on the Schumacher site which are supposed to be more durable, could be just the thing for carpet.

Anyone have any experience with the Revlite Stiff rims ?

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Ca...ort/U2799.html
Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also,

Can anyone give advice on Inch Up wheels? What's the advantage of fitting the tyres tighter?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
That statement in red defies so much personal experience and sales success as to be nonsense. For quite a long time (before the last year or so when Sorexs have become hard for secondary vendors to get in bulk) the speedmind/sorex combo sold like hotcakes, and the SJ-R Jaco wheels/Sorex (also nylon rims with the same bead diameter and bead width as the Speedmind) sold faster than they could be glued up. Being a more flexible material, the nylon wheels survive better in the real world of the basic 'hobby/sportsman' weekly competator than just about anything else, especially wheels made from ABS.

Personally, I don't like the Speedmind because they tend to take a set and wobble when smacked into a barrier, and can't be fixed. They're damn tough, though, and for sure will last, and they don't get brittle in the cold or soft in the heat. That's why I like the EXP nylon rims, as they won't take a set and wobble like the Speedmind, but they're only about 90% as durable.

We get that you like the yokomo. We get that you have them in stock. We get that you're a for-profit company with an agenda.

"Best" is defined by the end user. Some people think that the Schumacher Rev-lite wheels are hands down the lightest, best fitting and truest running wheels for the Sorex tires, and I would agree with that........if you can consistently perform at or near the Pro/Club Pro level. For the rest of the real world, we're not that good or consistent at staying off of the barriers, or other cars, and the Rev Lights are too fragile at the best of times (never mind the cold), and they don't hold up well to high heat in the summer time.

Get this..........different people race in different areas with different tracks, with different weather, with different surfaces, with different proficiency levels........and not everyone has experienced good luck with the Yokomo rims in terms of durability or suitability. They're more of an standard due to cost and availability than anything else. Amongst wheels that are properly sized (and it's WELL established that speedminds are, in fact, properly sized to the acceptable range for Sorex tires), most would rather have wheels that outlast the tires than the other way around.....and based on that criteria alone, the speedmind wheels are one of the best offerings out there.
BOOM. love the truth - it sets us free...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Speedmind no good ,
because too soft !
Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Speedmind no good ,
because too soft !
Time to rise from the grave.

Can you get panaracer tires/wheels? Heard only good things about them.
For example, they are same level, it not better than sorex and last twice as long... sounds too good to be true! lol.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

So what wheels are people running these days? Has anything changed?