Wiki Posts
Search

More steering on my RC8

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Not enough changes. And put your akerman back into the rear hole, went the wrong way with that. Reread my above post and do it. Especially the RTR hubs if our useing the stock +2mm FT hubs. (assuming new Rc8's still use them) You shouldn't need max steering throw too often, your understeering bad.

A Mugen Mbx6 can do everything the Losi can. It just takes some tuning to get it there, like the Xray it has a World setup stock. The American track setting will seem like maxing out all the aggressive settings.
I'm going to do everything you said, at least the things I can figure out. I'll have to wait to use my buddys gauges to set my toe and camber, but I'll do the rest tonight. I have the RTR so I have the RTR hubs.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Hey bevo are you going to Fastraxx this weekend?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
Hey bevo are you going to Fastraxx this weekend?
I need to figure out how to get my buggy setup better before I go to a real race again.

We're thinking about going up one weekend in july though, when there isn't going to be a race, and bring about 10 guys with us, and just have some fun. We've got an AMB system so I'm assuming we can just hook it up to their wires and use our own.

I will be back though to race up there before the years over. I just want to get my buggy tuned in better. I just can't get it to turn for anything. It pushes so bad I almost have to come to a stop to get the rear end to come around.

What setup was you using before you got your RC8B? And by the way, how do you like the new buggy?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

havnt ran it yet going tomorrow night to a local track over here to try it out. cant wait. then friday at fastraxx shane racer is helping me set it up good.

But the setup i ran on my old rc8 at fastraxx that did well was 1 dot everything, middle hole in steering rack, RC8B Big bore shocks (pretty sure u have those right?) 1.4x6 pistons all 4 shocks, 1/2 rebound all 4 shocks, and RC8B shocks towers, those helped a lot. Then run all 4 shocks on the outer lower mount, and -2 camber all around.. try that. it worked for me. dont get rid of the good ol AE RC8 its just as good as that losi. just needs some setup work on it. and im not sure what the camber link locations are like on the rear shock tower on the reg rc8 towers, but move that to the lowest hole. for tight tracks it'll make the rear end rotate a little quicker. And u might want to try this diff set up 5f - 5c- 3r.. that'll allow the car to rotate quicker.

tires play a big role in tuning your steering as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
havnt ran it yet going tomorrow night to a local track over here to try it out. cant wait. then friday at fastraxx shane racer is helping me set it up good.

But the setup i ran on my old rc8 at fastraxx that did well was 1 dot everything, middle hole in steering rack, RC8B Big bore shocks (pretty sure u have those right?) 1.4x6 pistons all 4 shocks, 1/2 rebound all 4 shocks, and RC8B shocks towers, those helped a lot. Then run all 4 shocks on the outer lower mount, and -2 camber all around.. try that. it worked for me. dont get rid of the good ol AE RC8 its just as good as that losi. just needs some setup work on it. and im not sure what the camber link locations are like on the rear shock tower on the reg rc8 towers, but move that to the lowest hole. for tight tracks it'll make the rear end rotate a little quicker. And u might want to try this diff set up 5f - 5c- 3r.. that'll allow the car to rotate quicker.

tires play a big role in tuning your steering as well.
I switched to the 553 diff oil and it did help some. I'll make some more adjustments before thursday when we are going to get together at a local track.
I really need to go see Shane racer too the next time I'm around. I've meant to the last two times I went to the track, but I always get caught up in the excitement at being at a new track and don't want to take the time to setup my buggy. I'm still new to this, so I hate to be sitting still and not on the track. Plus at a new track with my lack of skill, I need all the practice I can get just to stay between the pipes.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Here's a question that might help me get more steering. Right now I'm running AKA I Beams. They seem to get pretty good traction, but maybe their not that good of tires for tight turns.

What other tires should I give a try for a medium traction clay track?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

shane will hook you up for sure. I would start with soft cityblocks or maybe even soft gridirons. But if you race at the same track as Shane, ask him what tires to use
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
Here's a question that might help me get more steering. Right now I'm running AKA I Beams. They seem to get pretty good traction, but maybe their not that good of tires for tight turns.

check out the AKA tire chart on their website raceaka.com and you have a couple choices and you can see what I beams excel on and what other tire might be better for you. I like the City Blocks at fastraxx. Not sure what tires Shane uses.

Give those adjustments a shot. when i did i could tell a big different in my steering and the way the car handled in general. let me know how it does. maybe next time at the track I could give u a hand.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bevofrancis

what tires were your buddy with the Losi using? maybe give them a shot?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

I finnaly got my RC8 to turn almost perfect for my style yesterday. I was actually even doing like everyone said it should and turning into the pipe at first until I got use to it.

My luck though struck just like always. For some reason I had a horrible low end bog that I couldn't get rid of for the life of me. It would last over a second before I could get any power to the wheels. I thought it was a bad clutch, but it's not. Ron at werks says to clean the carb out. I'll give that a try tonight and run some more sunday. Whats funny is that lastnight my friends didn't think that my engine was running that bad becasue the midrange was so strong. In truth though it was horrible. A few sections I normaly double right out of a turn I was having to just roll through.

On the plus side though, in the few small races we ran I got second everytime, and one race the AMB didn't register my first lap and I got to within 9 seconds of the winner, in short 5 minute sprint race.

I now see what people mean about the RC8's steering. Mine still doesn't turn as hard as the 2 losi's I run with, but it is much smoother and consistant looking through the turns.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nobody mentioned it but changing the wing and the location of its mounting it makes a huge difference. The stock wing makes a ton of downforce more than any other Ive tried by a large margin. Try a JConcepts wing and mount it much closer to the rear shock tower. I think that plus what you already have done will give you so much steering the Losi guys will be jealous.

I know its a tough learning curve at first but it seems as though you are handling it quite well. Stick with it and stick with that RC8 I think its a truly under-rated buggy.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Thats a good point. some folks were triming thier RC8 wings smaller. Or moving them so far forward that the rear wing holes were in the front mount holes. 2 screws only, not four.

Try Soft Gridirons. The I beams lack some steering unless your setup is dialed. The Ibeams tend to get more steering when the are half way worn down. And the seem to require more fluff and loam on a track.

Ibeams allways understeer on clean hardpack foor me. And my 808 is dialed for tons of agility, all the setting maxed, then I run my wing high and back for max downforce for stability at speed. Gridirons help alot on hard pack, but will understeer in messy conditions..