Wiki Posts
Search

Cloned cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default Cloned cars

Anyone had any dealings with cloned cars yet, I know there are a couple out there but have no idea what excactly they are or how they would compare? I dont want to start a debate over right and wrong even though its going to happen. I just know that they are alot cheaper and look excactly the same.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by interplanet
Anyone had any dealings with cloned cars yet, I know there are a couple out there but have no idea what excactly they are or how they would compare? I dont want to start a debate over right and wrong even though its going to happen. I just know that they are alot cheaper and look excactly the same.
Buy cheap buy twice
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you get what you pay for with most things in life. this certainly isn't going to be any different.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

A guy at my club has one of the cloned Mi4's. It's crap. It's always breaking. Some of the bearings just fell apart on it. The chassis looks like fiberglass with an imitation carbon sheet added for the top and bottom layers.

To get parts he's been replacing with genuine Schumacher parts but by the time he's done he might as well have just bought genuine since he will have spent more in replacement parts than the cost of the original Mi4.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

I have tested alot of these clones from china they drive great and work well but the quality and the materials used are just rubbish .You get what you paid for .my advice stay away from the clones you will spend not twice as much but 10 times as much .
Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

thats what I thought, the only one I saw that looked any decent was the tamiya 416 clone, its less than a 1/4 of the cost, But I am sure its rubbish none the less, it sure does look nice though.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

I've seen the tamiya 416x on eBay for about 150 bucks looks like the original
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

thats what I thought, they look really close, some look like excact replicas. r2hobbies has a bunch of them but there are a couple of places that are even cheaper.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-scale-kit-R...item3f004478bf

Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

yeah, and like this one, I have seen these under $130, which pales in comparison to its +$400 price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-scale-kit-R...item4150019ed8
Attached Thumbnails Cloned cars-tmy.jpg  
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

looking good on paper but how about in real life ???
even Original Tamiya Cars are not very durable and strong Imagine The Clone one on The Track ...
But Again I believe Profit Margin on that touring cars should be very High
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Couple of people bought these clones where i come from. Was a real nightmare.

And i don't mean kiddy nightmares. Full blown scare-you-so-badly-that-your-balls-jump-in-your-body nightmare.

Where do i begin. Friend of mine tested a cloned 416 on a track running a 17.5 bl, which is docile, really. 1 day at the track later, bearings warped, the balls inside disintegrated. Hinge pin bent after 1 low speed crash. 1 T-bone and chassis (suspected to be FRP with CF sheets on the outside.) splits about 6cm. Screws rounding out everywhere even before running. Bulkheads (WTF??) show hairline cracks after couple laps.

Another case where a friend daringly put a Feigao 4.5t in it.
Obvious chassis flexing when free-revving on 3/4 throttle.

I've tried to be as impartial as i can in saying these, but fact of the matter is there's seemingly no pros at all when concerning these chassis'.

Bottom line, buy it.

And that's it. Don't run it, don't dismantle it, and keep it suspended on a string in a fishtank filled with water, cause anything else wouldn't suffice. (yeah okay that was abit too much, but would you blame me?)
I kid you not!!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarryLeeWD

I've tried to be as impartial as i can in saying these, but fact of the matter is there's seemingly no pros at all when concerning these chassis'.

and keep it suspended on a string in a fishtank filled with water, cause anything else wouldn't suffice. (yeah okay that was abit too much, but would you blame me?)
I kid you not!!!!
no, thats cool. Thanks for the info, I am sure with that you have kept other people who have seen this thread and thought about it from actually buying one. I still might buy one someday just to drop in the bottom of my fish tank like you said, that would be pretty rad.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by interplanet
*no, thats cool. Thanks for the info, I am sure with that you have kept other people who have seen this thread and thought about it from actually buying one. I still might buy one someday just to drop in the bottom of my fish tank like you said, that would be pretty rad.
+1

*Rep for you man, you're a good sport.

After posting my previous post, i realised how pissed i was and would've probably been abit rude in my words and rushed to get back here and edit but you didn't get mad. Respect ya man.

Imho the thing ain't built to survive on a track. Drifting maybe, but change the screws and bearings.

EDIT: These happened on the r2hobbies clone 416es. Not sure about other chassis. More input from others please!!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Had a few friends run the 416 clone for drifting and they are crap. The front cvd's gave out on the first run! And like said above screws are poor quality and really the whole deal is poor. Don't waste your money save a bit longer and get genuine or even second hand genuine as a lot of racers look after their cars and are in real good condition.