Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro Trak

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

I have been into r/c for a couple of years and cannot believe I have never heard of this charger. You guys are comparing it to the CE GFX? I was getting ready to buy the GFX, but now it looks like I have some reading to do.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

In my opinion,

Turbo 35 GFX is a charger. The most advantage using GFX is you could have a benchmark reference on industry battery matching standard. Beside the quality is also top of the line.

I have not compared the charging quality between GFX and Pro-trak. But I have confidence that Pro-trak will be one of the best top-end charger in the market. However, pro-trak not only is a good charger, but also a battery management system. It has a lot of monitoring tools (it is just more seriuos than only giving a charging and discharge graph). You could set up a lab with pro-trak to do a lot of analysis over different charging technique without harming the battery. In addition, there is only 2 charger in the market provide individual cell monitoring feature.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

mr4,
Have a look at my web site please (assuming you have not already) I have started researching different charge methods to find out which is the best - it will take a long time, and I will need help. The pro trak allows me to remove as many external influences as I can. currently I have 3 results and may well have another 2 tests within the next 5 days (thanks to picco007). I am of course using the CDAT feature (called SAL in Japan). details on the website.

http://www.citlink.net/~kpngtrak/CDAT_Home.htm

Chris.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Chris,

I just have a look on it and I have downloaded the manual. It is really useful for me. But I have one critical problem on it. My ICS and pro-trak unit is old (upgrade from 10.42). I have only 7pin remote lead pluge. Definitly the unit could not control the ICS board. It there any chance that I could modify them by myself. I suppose if there is only simple soldering job to extend the cable and not change in circult board in both unit.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

When it comes to charging and maintaining batteries the pro-trak is the best charger currently being produced.

The GFX has some features that the pro-trak doesn't have though. Variable current discharging and precise voltage motor runin to name the 2 big ones. The pro-trak does do discharge but it is at a fixed rate. It also has an optional motor runin unit, but it is very basic compared to what the GFX offers.

Basically if you are looking for the best charger and battery management tool get the pro-trak. If you want something to run lathes and brake in motors with that comes in a hideously huge box get the GFX.

Originally posted by DonkeyPuncher
I have been into r/c for a couple of years and cannot believe I have never heard of this charger. You guys are comparing it to the CE GFX? I was getting ready to buy the GFX, but now it looks like I have some reading to do.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Before I bought my Protrak I asked Phil from Protrak why he is using a fixed rate discharge current. He thinks this is much more precise.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

V12, all

The voltage drop in the leads is dependant on the current, therefore if you allow the current to change, the amount of voltage drop will change too. At 30 amps the voltage drop is significant. Also if you speak to Phil he will tell you not to use crocodile clips. This is for good reasons. Croc clips can easily give you a false reading by 0.1v just in the clip itself. Every time you disconnect and reconnect the clips the resistance in the mechanical connection will change giving you different readings again. A cell at 1.18v is pretty good, a cell at 1.08v is ready to be thrown away. Now for sensing wires crocodile clips are fine as there is no current going through the clips, therefore no voltage drop. If you look at the CE chargers, they have sepperate sense wires that run with the main wires, they are there for a reason, they carry no current, therefore no volt drop. But whatever you do, do NOT solder the sense wires to the main wires, you will get voltage drop through the connector as there will be a heavy current running through it.

Chris.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

I am not saying there isn't a very good reason for a fixed discharge, but if you run micros like I do you can't use your pro-trak to discharge them.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all,

Does anybody has compare the old ICS and the new ICS (with connection to the unit). Is is possible to convert the old ICS into the new one by extend the connection plug or simple soldering modification could do that???

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi all,

New results on my CDAT web page. This time I have results from 2 sepperate Multi Phasic Charges.

http://www.citlink.net/~kpngtrak/CDAT_Home.htm
Old 12-22-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

I made simple stand for 20A/30A pro-trak.
A plate is inserted into the slot on the heat sink.
Attached Thumbnails Pro Trak-list1.jpg  
Old 12-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

pic2
Attached Thumbnails Pro Trak-list2.jpg  
Old 12-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

pic3
Attached Thumbnails Pro Trak-list3.jpg  
Old 12-22-2004, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

The battery stand was also made.
Attached Thumbnails Pro Trak-list4.jpg  
Old 12-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Kiyano,

I seen that on your website, thats a good idea. Looks like it works well.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.