Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That sounds like a fun class to me!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
So anyway, here's the next big question!

Where will the new Tamiya FF03 fit in? A bunch of us are getting them, and it would be cool to run them with the RCGT cars. They may even be competitive under the complete same rules. If anything, perhaps a lower minimum weight for the FF cars...

BTW, I will be running mine on 24mm Tamiya slicks on 24mm spoked wheels to conform with TCS rules as I want to run it at the TCS Nationals in August.
Pete, I thought seriously of PMing you on this but in all fairness I figured it should be an open discussion. I hope I'm not opening another can of worms when we seem so close.
Personally, I don't see any problem with someone wanting to run a FF car for rcgt. But I don't think a special consideration should be given for weight. It's a crap shoot how popular FF might get but I'm guessing Tamiya may remain the only company that offers it. Purely a guess ! I know it would seem difficult to load a chassis like that up with weight but making rules JUST for a particular chassis choice seems excessive.
If any consideration for FF use is made, It should be at the club or event level but the weight that EVERYBODY else is required to follow shouldn't change.
I don't think thats asking to much since I don't expect Tamiya to allow the FF to run with their GT cars...we might...but not at the expense of the majority of drivers.
Just my thoughts.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Just want to keep this up top so nobody misses it.
Originally Posted by Evoracer
Here ya go:

1. Bodies: Any GT type realistic 190-200mm. TC racing bodies not allowed (Ex: Stratus/Maxda 6, etc.)Lexan wings must be of proportionate size. Molded kit wings or aftermarket wings are highly suggested. Lexan wings not allowed in concours.

2. Motors/Esc's : 17.5 and 21.5 systems in accordance with ROAR Sportsman list and including Speed Passion Cirtix 17.5 and 21.5.

3. Batteries: Any Lipo battery up to a max. of 5000mah and 30c. Hard case packs are highly suggested.

4. Tires/Wheels: Any rubber treaded or slick tire and insert on a realistic wheel (no aerodish allowed). Club or race organizer may define whether treaded or slick tires will be the spec per race event or class.

5. Weight: Min. chassis weight to be 1475 grams.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are the Sorex premounts or Jaco premounts with the spoke type wheels considered realistic? Or any other premounts with similiar wheels?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I really can't believe people want open tire. That is even worse than locking us into $50+ sets of X-patterns, in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I apologize for the tone. It's just that the questions you asked and the point you made have been gone over and over through this entire thread.
Apology accepted and I hope you guys continue to have good racing.
Peace.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M-Technic
I really can't believe people want open tire. That is even worse than locking us into $50+ sets of X-patterns, in my opinion.
Well, the majority spoke T.J, including one of your own. What would you have suggested ??
Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RoyU
Are the Sorex premounts or Jaco premounts with the spoke type wheels considered realistic? Or any other premounts with similiar wheels?
Roy, If you're talking about the rims on the Jaco Nitro Shoes or the Prisms, I think you'll be ok. Fugly as hell as far as I'm concerned and I won't be suggesting them to my club members ...but if somebody shows up with em'....it'll be ok as long as they don't mind the fugly jokes !!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

TTT and beyond !!

Here ya go:

1. Bodies: Any GT type realistic 190-200mm. TC racing bodies not allowed (Ex: Stratus/Maxda 6, etc.)Lexan wings must be of proportionate size. Molded kit wings or aftermarket wings are highly suggested. Lexan wings not allowed in concours.

2. Motors/Esc's : 17.5 and 21.5 systems in accordance with ROAR Sportsman list and including Speed Passion Cirtix 17.5 and 21.5.

3. Batteries: Any Lipo battery up to a max. of 5000mah and 30c. Hard case packs are highly suggested.

4. Tires/Wheels: Any rubber treaded or slick tire and insert on a realistic wheel (no aerodish allowed). Club or race organizer may define whether treaded or slick tires will be the spec per race event or class.

5. Weight: Min. chassis weight to be 1475 grams.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyU
Roy, If you're talking about the rims on the Jaco Nitro Shoes or the Prisms, I think you'll be ok. Fugly as hell as far as I'm concerned and I won't be suggesting them to my club members ...but if somebody shows up with em'....it'll be ok as long as they don't mind the fugly jokes !!
I don't consider those a scale rim at all. They are TC race rims 100%.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Evo, sorry bud, no JACO, Sorex, Solaris rims. That is going to kill the spirit of scale realism. Yes, granted they are cheaper, but at the same time, setting up your car to be softer on the tires will also make the X-patterns last.

Still waiting on Shawn Palmer on the status of the Blast Off tire/wheel combo. I want to purchase a couple sets for testing. Since my track surface is quite coarse, I think it would be a good place to test em out and see how they do. I know my X-patterns were finally torn apart this past weekend. Same with the Tamiya Tires that came with my TA05v.2 kit. But they did last a bit longer which was surprising.

I installed the Citrix combo into my car this past weekend, but have not had a chance to test it out yet. One thing I was wondering about was if you have to set the LiPo cut off on the ESC or is it pre-programmed for 2S LiPo? I think I was missing that part in my instructions...

Again, I would like to stress that we do not want to go with TC rims and tires. Let's be patient and still go on with the HPI X-pattern tires until Shawn Palmer is able to start selling the Blast Off wheel/tire combos. I know it is costly, but good things happen to those who wait.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Aren't the Nitro shoes and Prisms foam monuted tires?

Anyway, the track where Freakah and I race allows the use of 24mm Sorex SJR rubber tiren premounts because of spoke wheels which I think is not right. The wheels don't look realistic, no personality, all the same.

I'm with HarryN, keep the 26mm tire and wheel rule, but with any tire and insert, until something better comes along like the Blastoff tires and wheels as a spec tire.

But then it all comes down to the track/club where you race at to make the final ruling.

Last edited by RoyU; 06-21-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Tech Champion

Actually Dino,

Please do not put me into the majority on this discussion. And TJ does not have to agree with every call I make. I respect and appreciate his comments.

BTW, TJ, this is my take on the tires... This class IMHO, is more about fun then it is top line competition. And if we can get some people into racing cars, I need to make it as cheap and easy as possible. The fast racers will figure out what is fast, and it will sort itself out... Also to note, at our big invite race next month, we will be running X tires, as that is still the accepted norm, and I not gonna throw people under the bus...

My decision is a short term one, until we can get things sorted out. I have until our Next Florida State series starts, as we will be running this as support class.

BTW, The majority of racers at our track will still run their X stuff. I was running the other night with a well respected and fast racer, he was running CS 27's on a SP Spec'd RCGT car, and I was running my X shod SP Spec'd RCGT car. Our cars were as close as any cars could be... neither ran away ...

IMHO, the best solution for this mess is if HPI can get the tires to a respectable price ( under 30 bucks for tires and wheels ) . We all go with the Pro compound and call it a day. I am still taking a wait and see attitude on the Blast Off tires...

IMHO, the Prism wheels are nice looking, much better then a dish. I guess if they are not the Ronal Teddy wheel, their not cool ?

Well, the majority spoke T.J, including one of your own. What would you have suggested ??
Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

With all due respect, the 5-6 guys actively posting in this thread are not the majority of RCGT racers in America!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry fellas, not being familiar with the Sorex or Jaco premounts, I took a brief look at their websites and those rims didnt look bad but I knew they didnt fit the "realistic wheel" description either. My statement was directed at Roy himself. I clouded the issue and I apologize. The wheel situation stays as it was.....It must be a realistic spoke type wheel.

M-Technic....I'll ask again...What choice would you make regarding tires ?? And I understand that the people active on this thread represent a small percentage of drivers. But we ARE the only ones speaking up on a national forum....If we had access to a larger number of drivers that would be great. So the choice is do the best we can or don't speak at all. I'm not arguing, just trying to do the best we can.

Tim, you're comments actually speak as well as anything toward adopting the open tire choice. You said you ran against another driver with a race tire and did fine. Thats great ! It proves that the choice can be left to the driver, the club or race organizer and there's really no problem. 1 likes slicks, 1 likes treads, 1 has the money to spend, another doesn't, etc,etc.....thats the story of the whole hobby.

The point is that the club or organizer still has the ability to spec the tire use. The only difference is that now the choices are wider. Whether that decision is based on popular thought, price , or availability.....the choice is yours to make. Clearly this whole discussion about tires started because cost was a major problem. Then availability came on to the scene, then performance...etc,etc. The bottom line is that their doesn't appear to be a good single choice of tire that satisfies the basic needs...affordability, performance/longevity and availability.
As for expecting HPI to lower prices, thats always possible but we surely can't plan on it and if the cost issue is as great as you suggested, the program suffers in the meantime.

RoyU....I'm a big supporter of making the rule any 26mm tire with any insert. If you go back in the thread you'll see I proposed it. But many opposed it for various reasons. And I understood for various reasons. For me, I plan on running 26mm tires so I can continue to have access to the widest selection of wheels. But I also understand that availability is thinner and may get worse.

HarryN, I know what you're saying Man...So why do we all keep talking about comparisons to Sorex or Jaco ?? If EVERYBODY here narrowed the discussion to NON-TC tires, we'd be so much better off. That would mean we'd have to be dealing with a 24mm treaded tire or any 26mm slick or treaded tire. The wheel choices haven't changed from the original rule.
There's good and bad sides to both outlooks......but in order to maintain the spirit of the class and also allow for individuality and cost consciousness, I still say that "Any 26mm tire with any insert" would be the best option.

Here's a picture to consider. What happens if we make the rule " any 26mm slick or treaded tire and insert"......then the Blast Off comes out and it's only available in 24mm ?? Can everybody say "The crap just hit the fan !!"

Last edited by Evoracer; 06-21-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.