Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCGT....Where is it at now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I would suggest 5000 40c as the Max battery. Most racers have increased there Mah/C and sold off the lower Mah/C batteries as time has gone by. This would keep cost down and I don't see this limit having an advantage.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
The point is again, you are giving people more reasons to think about. If someone considered running RCGT, and wanted to use an older car(Brand x) they should just do it. When you put a weight limit, then they will now contemplate "Is it worth it to run this old brand x car if i am xxx grams overweight? I will be slow...forget it..im not gonna buy stuff to make it lighter nor am i gonna buy a new, lighter car". Although this is an example, you can look at a newbie who wants to participate. I know i would be turned off by the weight thing.
THe suggested rules are great. Keeping less rules and making it easier for a newcomer to participate in is even greater. Weighing cars are great if u have the staff to do it. How about smaller tracks like mine where i am the only one running the show? Delays anyone?

WHen we had our first RCGT Club race in the US at Hobbytown Corona, the rules were simple and not complicated. That was the draw for 99% of my racers. Save the crazier racer rules for the TC crowd and keep this class simple and fun.
Charlie, I'm sorry...I missed this one and nobody responded. I completely understand and my club is in the same boat. We race 2 times a month and we don't worry about weight issues at all. But....I'd like to think there will be a time when we're large enough to make it part of the effort. Being part of a standard is just as important as other things. A rules package is a guideline. It just sets some limits or confines certain aspects so the program stays within the "spirit" the program was developed to. Many have mentioned "bridges" to TC, well....look at the rules as a bridge to the most official side of the program. If i'm a local club racer and I have the chance to go to a regional or national comp....I might expect to see complete compliance with a rules package. Adjusting weight really isn't a big problem. And yes, your car may be on the heavier side....but is it enough to say you're at a disadvantage ?? Lets face it, the average sportsman driver isn't going to win or lose based on 25 grams of weight. Then again , I think you should know that much of that concern is based more on peer pressure and extreme competition mindedness than reality. Thats where we as race directors and more experienced racers should be willing to properly educate newer drivers. If I were an expert driver, getting paid to win or had sponsers and mainly raced at big events.....a few grams might make a difference. But on a given Sunday in little old Palm Bay, FL on a parking lot track.......a few grams aren't going to ruin my day.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Food for thought: if we get back in bed with HPI for this series, there goes our chances of running $15 tires and we'll be back to $50+ sets of wheels/tires.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M-Technic
Food for thought: if we get back in bed with HPI for this series, there goes our chances of running $15 tires and we'll be back to $50+ sets of wheels/tires.
I can almost guarantee this will be a "you get what you pay for" situation, although I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Most likely T.J.....but the jury is still out on the SP tires. If they fit all the parameters RCGT drivers were looking for I would have been hard pressed to push for a non HPI program but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. For me, if these things are 24mm....that won't suit the need. Even if the tires were available seperately, there's to few choices of good wheels for 24mm. Thats the kicker for me.....I like having the custom rims and I like having offsets to make the car look right. All aspects of RCGT. If I simply wanted performance, I'd go 24mm with no offset and go run TC class. I think we all know where that discussion lies.
I said it before...show me a 26mm tire in limited compounds for different conditions thats available for 10 bucks and those same tires premounted for 15 bucks.....then you'll get my attention. Unfortunately, "you get what you pay for" still means something.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, but let's see what happens. I still plan on getting the Blast Off tires and trying them out. If they prove more superior, then I will try out the belted slicks. Luckily my LHS has them in stock. If the Belted Slicks are inferior in quality, we may have to make an amendment to RCGT rules or change the name to GTRC so we may run these wheels/tires.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Most likely T.J.....but the jury is still out on the SP tires. If they fit all the parameters RCGT drivers were looking for I would have been hard pressed to push for a non HPI program but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. For me, if these things are 24mm....that won't suit the need. Even if the tires were available seperately, there's to few choices of good wheels for 24mm. Thats the kicker for me.....I like having the custom rims and I like having offsets to make the car look right. All aspects of RCGT. If I simply wanted performance, I'd go 24mm with no offset and go run TC class. I think we all know where that discussion lies.
I said it before...show me a 26mm tire in limited compounds for different conditions thats available for 10 bucks and those same tires premounted for 15 bucks.....then you'll get my attention. Unfortunately, "you get what you pay for" still means something.
Shawn is still seeing what he can do about different rim styles and offsets for us. I think it's way too early to tell.

It just irks me that the X-patterns end up costing so much, when this is supposed to be a budget, entry level class. It costs literally $45-55 per set to buy the tires locally. When Solaris touring car tires are $25-30 a set for one of the best pre-mounts that has been on the market for years, I think we should have RCGT tires in the $15-25 range.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Shawn is still seeing what he can do about different rim styles and offsets for us. I think it's way too early to tell.

It just irks me that the X-patterns end up costing so much, when this is supposed to be a budget, entry level class. It costs literally $45-55 per set to buy the tires locally. When Solaris touring car tires are $25-30 a set for one of the best pre-mounts that has been on the market for years, I think we should have RCGT tires in the $15-25 range.
Yep, I agree but you're also comparing apples to oranges. Why look for $15 dollars when you're already willing to spend 25-30 for a TC tire ? Now if the SP tires were that much without the wheels and they came out at $35 with the 1 standard wheel....would they be so attractive?? You're also right that its to early to tell....SP has big shoes to fill IF they want to meet the needs of RCGT drivers. If the goal is to create a separate GT program then the point is moot. Keep in mind that HPI, just like SP, is constantly looking for growth and to be competitive in the market place. Isn't anything new....right this minute the SP tire sounds great......and then there's tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

I want $15 RCGT tires because I spent too much in TC already! Plus what about the new guys. Why should ONE SET of tires cost 1/5 of what they spend on getting into R/C?

If Shawn can supply us with the tires by themselves for ~$10 a set, you've already saved $20+ off the X-patterns, and then you could mount them on any rim out there.

Again, too early to tell and none of us have even run the Blast Offs yet.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

I want $15 RCGT tires because I spent too much in TC already! Plus what about the new guys. Why should ONE SET of tires cost 1/5 of what they spend on getting into R/C?

If Shawn can supply us with the tires by themselves for ~$10 a set, you've already saved $20+ off the X-patterns, and then you could mount them on any rim out there.

Again, too early to tell and none of us have even run the Blast Offs yet.
Yeah but gluing the tire improperly can also be messy and if the tire is not trued properly (evenly applied), then it is going to cause issues and make the newcomer feel dissuaded. We want to ease them into the hobby and let them make the baby steps necessary so they can be ready to glue a tire and wheel together and understand the repercussions of not assembling the tire properly.

Man, I wish Shawn Palmer would give us an update as to the status of the tries. I'm starting to get antsy!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

How about we take a step back on the Blast Off Product... it is NEW, so I am sure there will be some development as to what the consumers want.

I really do not understand what the deal is here.... Get your local clubs running the basis of what we have here.. and figure out what tires work/do not work... and then come to a concensus....

When we run it... we will know which way we need to go...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Lord

wooooooooosa
Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TimPotter
How about we take a step back on the Blast Off Product... it is NEW, so I am sure there will be some development as to what the consumers want.

I really do not understand what the deal is here.... Get your local clubs running the basis of what we have here.. and figure out what tires work/do not work... and then come to a concensus....

When we run it... we will know which way we need to go...
seriously though.. good progress in here.

good objective discussions and positive ideas (except for HarryN pushing for the JL-10E as a spec chassis. - sorry harry i had to take a shot at someone. )
Old 06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarryN
Yeah but gluing the tire improperly can also be messy and if the tire is not trued properly (evenly applied), then it is going to cause issues and make the newcomer feel dissuaded.
How is that any different than the X-patterns that need to be glued? Premounts or just the tires, whichever you want so you can run rims that make you happy, either way it's a lot cheaper than HPI.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

How is that any different than the X-patterns that need to be glued? Premounts or just the tires, whichever you want so you can run rims that make you happy, either way it's a lot cheaper than HPI.
I was talking about just buying the Blast Off tires alone and gluing them. In essence what I was saying was if the Blast Off tires are pre-glued and trued (as best as it can be versus the human hand), it would be better to go that route and still save money at only $15 a pop versus nearly 1/5 the cost of a cheap tub chassis for the class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.