Wiki Posts
Search

Motor heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 06:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Motor heat

Hey guys,

I have been racing a couple of times at a carpet track here in Texas. When I bring my car off the track my motor is extremley hot. What should I do to figure how to lower the motor temp.

Do I need to increase pinion size or lower? What are some general suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 05-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

First, check gear ratio. Do this by listening to your car on the straightaway. If it does not reach full rpm at 3/4 of it's length, you are probably over (too large) geared. If it reaches full rpm before 3/4, you are under (too small) geared. Check with other racer's as to what gear they are running with the same type motor. You could also put a small (1" sq.) fan on it, aimed at the motor brush hoods. Reedy makes a motor heatsink that has a fan bolted to it. Don't try and remedy an over or under geared situation by a fan. Find the right gear first.

You might want to check the drag in the driveline. With the motor pinion away from the spur gear, see how your car "free spins" buy spinning the wheels. There may be something here causing the overheat, even if the gear ratio is right. Show the "free spin" to other racers, and they will tell you if it is OK.

Hope this helps!

John Watt
Old 05-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default thanks

Yeah, that helps.

It gives me something to go on. I am pretty sure my drivetrane is free of any hang ups, but I will take a closer look.
I will take your advice on pinion sizes. I suspect it might be too small a pinion gear. I reach top speed pretty quick.

What is a normal temp for the motor to be at when it comes off the track?

Thanks,
Old 05-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Hard to give a sense of feel for heat, but it should not be so hot that you can't touch it for a second or two. How are the brushes? If they are discolored it is a sign of overheat. Also, next time at the track, ask someone about the motor temp. Easier to evaluate if the person advising you about temp. is the one touching it.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

I always run outside and motor heat varies dramatically depending on the weather. Would popping the motor in the fridge before a run on hot days help?, or would I get moisture on it like a pop can?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Get gear ratio, driveline issues correct. Buy a fan if you want. But I would not recommend chilling it for the issues you mentioned. Motor manufacturers make them to run, and produce heat, and survive both. It is up to us to make sure we are not asking them to do more than they were designed for.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 05-13-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

thanks.....
I got a good heatsink for now and that did make a difference.
It's just that on some days it will be barely warm after three paks and others its hot to the touch after one. I geared it to the manual but it seems like on cool days I could go up one or two teeth and on hot days have to go the other way..
makes it hard to find a happy medium.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Gear the motor to the track, not the ambient temp., and all will be good!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I race stock truck and buggy. In these classes, its all about freeing up the drivetrain. If I take the pinion gear off my motor and spin the tires, it feels like they spin forever. Also, gearing for the main straight is the best way to find a ratio. I've found and been told by the owners of AXIOM and BIRDMAN that as long as you're not getting soft before the end of the race, don't worry too much about the heat.

If anything, polish the bushings and shafts of your motor and that will make a huge difference.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by onnetz

I always run outside and motor heat varies dramatically depending on the weather. Would popping the motor in the fridge before a run on hot days help?, or would I get moisture on it like a pop can?
There is an old "Trick" of putting an Ice Cube on the Can about 1/2 hour before a race.
Never tried it myself, but have read several claims of the Motor staying considerably cooler after a run. Something it think about.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by JWATT
First, check gear ratio. Do this by listening to your car on the straightaway. If it does not reach full rpm at 3/4 of it's length, you are probably over (too large) geared. If it reaches full rpm before 3/4, you are under (too small) geared. Check with other racer's as to what gear they are running with the same type motor. You could also put a small (1" sq.) fan on it, aimed at the motor brush hoods. Reedy makes a motor heatsink that has a fan bolted to it. Don't try and remedy an over or under geared situation by a fan. Find the right gear first.

You might want to check the drag in the driveline. With the motor pinion away from the spur gear, see how your car "free spins" buy spinning the wheels. There may be something here causing the overheat, even if the gear ratio is right. Show the "free spin" to other racers, and they will tell you if it is OK.

Hope this helps!

John Watt
Just a few things to think about:
Firstly do not gear your car for the straight! gear it so that its revving hard out of the corners. Of course ask people with the same car as yourself and preferably in the same class so that you can get a good idea of a gear ratio.

Secondly, dont get the Reedy fan and take off any heat sinks as niether of these work to be honest, the fan might work to an extent but your much better off getting a Ride Air Duct. These force fresh air into the motor instead of the fan which just re-circulates warm air back into the motor

As for the 'Ice Cube Trick' i tried a few times and it does without a doubt work! Use upto 2 ice cubes on the motor and it will be super cold for your run and will also run much better!

Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Using a infrared temp guage I have verified that my fan makes 40-60 degrees cooler temps. 160 deg without, 110 degrees with, after 5 min runs. Indoor track.

Do you have a site for the Ride Air Duct? Have not seen or heard of it.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default think?

Think it is worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...192967804&rd=1
Old 05-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Motor Temp

i didnt get to read all the posts.. but i raced last tuesday and my gear mesh was waaaaay too tight and when i pulled my car off, the motor was extremely hot. after loosening the mesh up a bit, the motor ran a lot cooler.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Re: think?

Originally posted by JDXray
Think it is worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...192967804&rd=1
depends if it obstructs the motor's vents...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.