Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba S9550 Servo

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply. I race stock touring and thought that the S9550 (or any other digital servo) would effect lap times.
Sounds like it doesn't.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default S9550 not a wing-servo

Originally posted by disaster999
the 9550 is design for airplanes, so they could mount the servo on the wings of the airplane, hence "digital wing servo"
The S9550 has never been designed for airplanes or more specific, wing use. Its a purpose designed electric car servo, low-profile and light. For airplanes there is more suitable wing servos then S9550 - like S9154. Its plainly just faulty information from Futaba USA (Great Planes).
Attached Thumbnails Futaba S9550 Servo-s9154.jpg  
Old 05-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by jag88
Thanks for the reply. I race stock touring and thought that the S9550 (or any other digital servo) would effect lap times.
Sounds like it doesn't.
If you use it with like a 3PJS or 3PK (with HRS reciver) it will make better laptimes if you are good enough. In generall, digital servos are more precise and centers better. It feels like they have better torq also due to the fact that they work more and faster - they call it better holding torque. If you turn on the radio with your existing servo and carefully try and move the servo arm you'll notice you can move it a few degrees before you really feel it starts to work. With like a S9550 you cant do that, it starts to fight instantly. Thats the main reason they draw more amp - they simply work more often (at a higher frequency). Basically I'm talking of Futaba, cant talk of other brands... ;-)

Preferably use same brand as the rest of the system also.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

had my 9550 for over a year now, no problems whatsoever. am using it with a pk and hrs combo. also, on my xray evo2, with the 9550, the electronics are all installed near the center of the chasis, hence, more balance.

question: i read in the futaba site that the 9550 has metal gears, what about the 9450 and 9451? the site does not seem to indicate what gears they use.

another question: what does coreless motor mean? the futaba digital servos seem to have those?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by evaa
had my 9550 for over a year now, no problems whatsoever. am using it with a pk and hrs combo. also, on my xray evo2, with the 9550, the electronics are all installed near the center of the chasis, hence, more balance.

question: i read in the futaba site that the 9550 has metal gears, what about the 9450 and 9451? the site does not seem to indicate what gears they use.

another question: what does coreless motor mean? the futaba digital servos seem to have those?
All Futaba 9000 series digital servos have coreless motors. You cant get the resolution etc if you dont use them. S9450 has been replaced by S9451, at least in the rest of the world - its an updated S9450 with more torq and sligthly less amp draw. S9450, S9451, S9350 and upcoming new S9351 - all of them have metal gearbox except the #1 gear that is in "plastic" (the one that runs against the motor pinion). S9350 and S9351 also has the middle part of the housing in aluminium to get rid of som heat generated from the massive torq.