Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Old 10-25-2001, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah I was there at Comp RC for the Sunday sedan race,I'm Maddawg aka Russ Wehnau. HPI 27r's with red insert,man it hooks up but needs sway bars to work right. My car was rolling over at a drop of a hat with his setup,so I went back to the factory setup and now it works better.

I just need some good motors to keep up with everyone now. Tires are the big thing for any car,I'm using 33r's now and it was a dream. I'm thinking of getting a one-way and trying that out and see what it does for this car. Also goin to do the front shock conversion when I get to Comp.

Yeah Glen uses the same setup for both tracks,Enid is close to Comp's track surface it is easy to run on both.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Glen's setup is what I used the weekend before and I had the same problem pin city. 27r/red insert also. Have you tried the 33r/foam insert? Gotta find a setup to run that elusive 30/31 before November. Its amazing that .5 sec will make as much of a difference as it did. My 9.9 to Kyle's 9.3s and 9.4s really showed! I will try Rons setup at Enid and let you know.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Sunday I used 33r's all day long. I need to get some new motors soon,mine's are starting to give up. I know what you meen.
Old 10-26-2001, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i found this summer, that you cant beat a set af sorex 36...they worked everywhere, at any temp......
Old 10-26-2001, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

any body here can tell me if losi is going to release a xxxs pro version? i.e. with all the graphite parts !?? any one?
Old 10-26-2001, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yep those 36's are great and last a long time to, out here at Speedworld (the Sorex importer) we're now using Sorex 32's and Sorex 28's seem to work great with cooler weather.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Manticore
any body here can tell me if losi is going to release a xxxs pro version? i.e. with all the graphite parts !?? any one?
No word, but it might be awhile.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just made a minor modification to my XXX-S and thought it might be interesting enough to post...

I haven't been too happy with the ball and socket joints Losi uses on the ends of the shock shafts, all the ones I've tried have either been so loose that they fall off easily, or so tight that they're bound up. I've tried the washer under the head of the bolt, and while it does keep the link from coming completely off the ball it still allows the link to come partially off and bind.

I picked up a package of Losi turnbuckle ends, cut them to the proper length, then used a 7/64 drill bit to open the hole a bit, then used an old shock shaft with a notch cut into the threads to cut the proper threads into them. The stock spring perch fits just like it was made for it.

I installed a Losi ball stud into each suspension arm where the large steel ball would bolt on.

I think it's an advantage to do it this way over the stock setup... the joint doesn't bind, it won't fall off, and the ball stud is somewhat lighter then the large steel ball, bolt, and washer it replaces. (Okay, maybe not s huge weight reduction, but I'll take any savings in unsprung weight)

Here are a few pics of the finished mod:

Trips
Old 10-26-2001, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trips... I did the same thing... watch the shock angle..I had to add another nut to the shock tower screw to align the shock becasue the ball cups stick out a little farther.

Mike
Old 10-26-2001, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

I should note that on my modification I cut half the threads off the front shock shaft and then cut 1/8 inch off the ball cup and cranked that thing on. I can get 5mm ride height with the thingy with the holes in it (can't think of the damn name right now because I am brain dead) almost completely at the bottom of the shock.

Mike Webb
Old 10-26-2001, 01:03 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

inside the shock.. Hmm.. pistion maybe? ....hehe..
Old 10-26-2001, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

I should note that on my modification I cut half the threads off the front shock shaft and then cut 1/8 inch off the ball cup and cranked that thing on. I can get 5mm ride height with the thingy with the holes in it (can't think of the damn name right now because I am brain dead) almost completely at the bottom of the shock.

Mike Webb
Old 10-26-2001, 01:09 PM
R/C Tech Founder

TSR6 wins the spelling bee again!

I like the mod. I have been planning on shortening the shafts in my front shocks anyway. Might have to apply this at the same time. Got to see how the car handles with the one-way first though...
Old 10-26-2001, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

PISTON!!!! ahh man... I have to get out of here. Where do you guys post your pictures at? I hacked the hell out of my chassis to lighten it and want to show you guys

Mike
Old 10-26-2001, 01:13 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

WHOO HOO!!!!

1). Avatar
2). Piston

"Who's next" ...

The mod looks good... I might try that.. I also had problems falling off and binding.... one practice run at trackside i was like Snikies this isnt right at all.... pushes like a hog.... ....it was dragging the chassis in the front....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.