Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Oval Racing XXX-S

I know there are cars designed specifically for ovals.
The main difference I saw was that the drive system had the motor directly driving the rear axle, the weight in the car was all very low, and there were several things in the supension that were adjusted for left turns only.

I know that a car designed from the ground up for oval racing would have a big advantage.

I am brand new to the sport and I was thinking that the oval races may be a little easier for me to try, until I get more skilled at driving.

Set up properly would my XXX-S be able to run on a 70 - 80ft oval track with cars designed for ovals or would it be totally out classed.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Oval Racing XXX-S

Originally posted by imjonah
Set up properly would my XXX-S be able to run on a 70 - 80ft oval track with cars designed for ovals or would it be totally out classed.
Wellll.....

Carpet oval cars generally are mildly modified pan cars, with the associated benefits in terms of power/weight ratio, lowness to the ground, nice wide foam tires, etc.

If you can, I'd try and see if one of the guys with the purpose built oval cars would let you do a few laps with his car, to see how it drives.

Personally, my gut says no, but my gut feelsings have been proved wrong many times, so go for it

-dave
Old 10-23-2003, 06:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Oval cars are harder to drive than you'd think, to be even slightly competitive, you need to be able to hold a low straight line, which can be hard if you're new to the hobby. Oval cars are also 2wd instead of 4wd, much less drag.

Stick with on-road tracks with your XXX-S
Old 10-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

On a proper track, any pan car, road or oval, will out run any touring car in the proper hands. Like Randy said, too much drag on a 4wd car. Pan carws are half the weight, if not less, next to no drag and fast as can be. But they're also hard to drive. Randy's right. keep the touring car on road courses.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: Oval Racing XXX-S

Originally posted by imjonah
I know there are cars designed specifically for ovals.
The main difference I saw was that the drive system had the motor directly driving the rear axle, the weight in the car was all very low, and there were several things in the supension that were adjusted for left turns only.

I know that a car designed from the ground up for oval racing would have a big advantage.

I am brand new to the sport and I was thinking that the oval races may be a little easier for me to try, until I get more skilled at driving.

Actually 4wd cars are well suited for dirt oval. Just look at the Custom Works Dominator Cars - 4wd. There is a large community of Dirt Oval R/C racers at www.dirtoval.com

The classes of Wedge/Buggy 4wd 19Turn is fairly popular for cars such as the XXXS and TC3.

---

As for oval with sedans, I believe the class is supported at large events such as SnowBirds. You may want to query folks there.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Does Hot Rod Hobbies still have a dirt oval up there?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know I am gonna get slammed for this, but IMHO oval is much easier to learn to drive, but is much harder to master than on-road!

That being said, what are the other guys running, are they running gearbox and 4wd cars or are they running pancars?? If they aren't running pancars then the Losi will be right at home with them and possibly even faster.....

The main question is...... do they have a class for the LOSI????
Old 10-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi,

Need to ask you guys where I can get this Tech Racing one-way for the XXX-s G+. Busted my losi's, so looking for a replacement. Heard that I need to use AE drive shaft to suit it, is that true?
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-xxx-s.jpg  
Old 10-24-2003, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

dpaton

Where is there to run in by Schamburg? I work in Elk Grove alot and would like to bring my stuff. Any tracks race or practice through the week?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'll be trying out the Integy based 19 turn this weekend. Two times out on 19 turn carpet with rubber tire's and two wins with two different motors. The first was the epic D5 can and the other was an old promatch epic chrome 19 turn. Gearing for both cans were waaaaay different. We'll see what type of gearing the Integy can likes. I'll make sure to post my findings after the races on Saturday.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Did you like the D5 better than the C2 based motor?
Old 10-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
ackerman

OK, I have a question, when moving the front arms .060" farther fwd than the stock fwd and you are supposed move and flip the bellcranks to fix the ackerman. How do you know that the ackerman is wrong? Why I ask is that I tried the arms .060" fwd and the bellcranks fwd. With that change the car was too smooth. It was good at turn in, but had a push middle and exit. If I try .030" fwd how will I know if I should run the bellcranks fwd or back? I hope that made since and any help woul be very helpful!
Old 10-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

HUH? Speak english please.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

I think what you need to do is see how far forward the ball studs on the cranks move forward when you flip and reposition them. If it's more or less than what you're moving the arms. Your ackerman is going to be off. I hope that makes since.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by lozi
Hi,

Need to ask you guys where I can get this Tech Racing one-way for the XXX-s G+. Busted my losi's, so looking for a replacement. Heard that I need to use AE drive shaft to suit it, is that true?
You should be able to get it at Rainbow Ten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.