Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Arms front and rear
Bumpers Front and rear
Spurs
Rear hubs (standard and off-set, 0 and 1/2deg.)
C-hubs 4 and 6 deg.
Maybe a set of shock towers front and rear

I also bought a set of diff pulleys, and will be getting the parts to build 3 diffs 2 standard and 1 overdrive, and 2 spools 1 standard and 1 overdrive.... This way I never have to build or rebuild one at the track.....LOL
Old 06-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default TakeOff CS 27 Tyres

Hi everybody,
it's the first time for me on this thread, and I have a real big problem: as you see I'm from Italy and here the temp is so hot now that when we race the TakeOff CS27 (only legal tyre for our Championship) and the asphalt gets more than 40°C, the XXX-S starts to be undrivable because the tyres get too hot! My team mates have the same problem.
I know there are some rims and inserts that can help to leave them cooler ( with "air gap effect" ). Can you explain this and suggest some insert/wheel combination ? Our competitors (X-Ray, Asso and Corally Teams) seem to know pretty well how to use these tyres, since they suffer a lot less for that!
Many thanks in advance!
Eddi.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: TakeOff CS 27 Tyres

Originally posted by EddiRossi
Hi everybody,
it's the first time for me on this thread, and I have a real big problem: as you see I'm from Italy and here the temp is so hot now that when we race the TakeOff CS27 (only legal tyre for our Championship) and the asphalt gets more than 40°C, the XXX-S starts to be undrivable because the tyres get too hot! My team mates have the same problem.
I know there are some rims and inserts that can help to leave them cooler ( with "air gap effect" ). Can you explain this and suggest some insert/wheel combination ? Our competitors (X-Ray, Asso and Corally Teams) seem to know pretty well how to use these tyres, since they suffer a lot less for that!
Many thanks in advance!
Eddi.
Like Todd said on Tech Talk,the Yokomo wheel seems to have more air gap than other wheel's I have used.The stock Take-off medieum insert seems to work best here with the CS-27 tire.There are a few other inserts out there that are worth trying like the Sorex(thin type)or a thin firm yokomo insert(not sure on the part #).Also,you can drill 4 large vent hole's in the wheel,the bigger they are the less the tire will want to over heat.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Well you could steal theirs and see what inserts are inside!

The larger the air gap the more heat in the tyres, so you could try some inserts like Sorex As which fill more of the tyre

I'm not an expert in hot conditions because it's always cold here.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

With the track temp you guys should talk to the race director and explain that the whole reason for controled tires is so you dont have problems like your having,whats the point of controled tires if they have no control of rims and inserts.Where I race at 40c track temp is about what we have in april.. Right now our track temp is around 135 f to 145 f(60c to 70c) and the tires we run are 40s in the day and 36s at night,right now the temp in the shade is 45c (outside temp).One last thing from what I understand the air gap between the insert and the tire heats the tire up more not less,I would try a harder insert instead of a softer one.and i dont think i would use any traction compound.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

More Air gap will help keep your tires cooler. When you have more air gap your tires will heat up faster but will stay at a cooler temp then the same tire with a fuller/less air gap combo. Your insert gets hot too and when you have less air gap its pressed against the tire keeping heat in the tire. With more air gap more air can move around the inside of the tire keeping it and the insert cooler. Now if your insert is too soft and causing the tires to deflect too much that might be a problem but more air gap will help keep your tires cooler.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

You learn something new every day, I'll stick with my CS22s
Old 06-02-2003, 03:20 PM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Spare Parts

Originally posted by aviaar
What are the best spare parts to have for the XXX-S?
If your track has boards or pipes around it you need to get a stiff and big foam bumper, a lot of 4 deg C hubs, and a pair of rear hubs, reinforce the front bumper with an upper bumper plate (like the G+ has it). Replace the big original wheel nuts with flat ones. You may need a spare CVD dogbone. (I have broken a lot of C hubs before I replaced the wheel nuts.)
Old 06-02-2003, 03:34 PM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: TakeOff CS 27 Tyres

Originally posted by EddiRossi
Hi everybody,
Many thanks in advance!
Eddi.
Try HPI 4632 Blue firm molded inserts. At the shop try different rims to eliminate any airgap between the tire and the insert. Inch-up (oversized in diameter) rims can do the trick. If you don't find a good enough rim, you can still fit a few turns of plastic adhesive tape onto the rims before you put on the inserts. Your driving style and setup is very important, don't push hard the car, don't slide, let it roll into the turns by itself. Find the setup where you don't have to turn the steering wheel always to maximum. A little softer spring setup may also help a bit. Ooh, before I forget, don't place the car in the sun in the pit
Old 06-02-2003, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

chef88- I had the same problem at the Norrca Nats a couple of weeks ago. I bought a IRS spool and it was tight thanks to MDawson I was able to run the losi spool by putting in a thicker pad and the losi spool worked great.

MDawson- by the way what are those pads made out of anyway.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by bigdog
chef88- I had the same problem at the Norrca Nats a couple of weeks ago. I bought a IRS spool and it was tight thanks to MDawson I was able to run the losi spool by putting in a thicker pad and the losi spool worked great.

MDawson- by the way what are those pads made out of anyway.
BD-

unobtainium spool pads. glad it worked for you.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just finished my XXX-S G+ and am having a problem with ride height.

I've got the shocks turned all the way down in the rear and can't get to 5mm.

Silver springs and 30 wt. - rear
Purple and 35 wt - front

Fronts are not a problem.

Ned
Old 06-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

do you have the droop screws in all the way? That could be why...
Old 06-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by xxxkat
Long time no hear from Clint,You racing the Cup today,If your racing good luck,And would you please beat Mo & Matt..
Had fun at the cup and didn't have to worry about Mo or Matt cause they didn't make the main No brokomo's finished in front of the Losi's. Even Tossolini wound up in the 10th spot. He was fast though. Chalk one up for the XXX-S.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ned911: you sure you din't put the shorter shafts (0.28" ) and shock bodies in the rear? there are long shocks that go on the rear and short one's that go in front. it can be easy to interchange them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.