Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Shock help

GUys,

I need a hot tip here!! This is my third XXXS-all with threaded shocsk, etc!!! I cannot build the shocks so they dont squeek or feel a bit less damped by the next day. When I build them, they feel good-dont squeek, can compress all the way-you know everything their supposed to do. AFter they sit for hours, all 4 feel a bit less damped, all squeek. Its crazy-what can I do different-or do I just live with the squeek!!! Thse are brand new shocks this time. Noneshow any sign of leakage and tops are tight!!! HELP!!!

Ray
Old 01-23-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ray- do you prelube the seals?? If you don't they may feel fine when first built and then after setting for a few hours with out being compressed they kinda "bind-up" making that squeeking sound.....

I usually use a q-tip soaked in heavy weight shock oil (100 weight)
Old 01-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

IMPACTPLAYER-I pre-soaked the seals with a big drop of shock oil about 30 minutes prior to doing the shocks and I dipped the shock shafts in shock oil prior to inserting.

So you build a squeek free Losi shock-hmmmm... back to the drawing board for me then. I was hoping everyone has squeeky shocks!!
IMPACTPLAYER-Thanks for the tip!!!

Last edited by rayhuang; 01-23-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ray,

Check your email or PM. Call me. It's easier to explain over the phone then in writting. But here goes.

Pour some oil in the cartridge or disassemble and soak everything down and put back together.

Fill shock to 3 -5 threads above the bottom thread

Screw the cartridge in until the is barely a gap.

Snap the bottom of the spring collar on and compress the piston down.

Tighten with a 7/16 wrench or pilers.

Should be in good shape and will last. I can't take credit for this as I had the same problem. (Thanks Todd L.)

Mark.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Mark,

I totally 100% understand your explanation!!! Clear, concise post

Thanks,
Ray
Old 01-23-2003, 12:15 PM
R/C Tech Founder

My Losi shocks often end up squeaking a little bit, and I have never worried too much about it. The action is good and they work well on the track.

Then again, maybe I'm missing out. Who knows. Perhaps I'll try one of these other methods...
Old 01-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Go to skipgear.com and under the "tech section" there are tips on building losi shocks. If you follow everything that is listed, your socks should be super smooth.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Tufferwilde - When you use a spool, you will have more of a feeling of pulling the car through a corner. In most cases, you'll experience some push upon corner entrance. Then when you give it some juice, hang on for the tow-rope effect. Usually, to compensate for a spool, you use one step softer front spring on the car. But it depends on the rest of your setup and the tires and track you race on. I've driven some spools setups that have quite a bit of steering all around.

Use the plastice outdrives. If you want some insurance, get the Trinity aluminum outdrive savers. You'll have to file a little bit off the bottom of the front shock tower that sits close to the outdrive as it will rub with the savers on there.

Your car may make more noise going through the corner which is usually your belt skipping. Run the belt a little tighter than you do with a diff or oneway.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by harris
I am using it Cain and it is very easy to install.... but the problem is that i cannot find it anywhere...
Take a look at http://main.SkipGear.com. He is selling the caged thrust bearings. I think he will ship out of the US. Scroll half way down on the home page.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
IMPACTPLAYER-I pre-soaked the seals with a big drop of shock oil about 30 minutes prior to doing the shocks and I dipped the shock shafts in shock oil prior to inserting.

So you build a squeek free Losi shock-hmmmm... back to the drawing board for me then. I was hoping everyone has squeeky shocks!!
IMPACTPLAYER-Thanks for the tip!!!
My shocks aren't squeaky all you have to do is work them some and they smooth up.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Me squeak no more!!!! Thanks for the tips guys!! I came right home from work-tried Todd/Mark's system and shocks came out beautiful!!! YESSS!!!

Thats why I love these forums!! The exchange of info and especially the tips are the greatest!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Graphite Plus?

I'm curious if any of you guys that have been running the xxx-s have switched to the new graphite plus. I have been running my car since they came out. I've converted everything to graphite, threaded shocks, mip axles, etc. But obviously, I've got some slop in things over time.

Is it worth it to just get the whole new car. I really want the new front bumper which I have not been able to find. It sounds like the new rear hub is mostly for carpet, which I do not run on.

So are there really any other reasons to step up to the new car?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Default Graphite upgrade vs. G+

Chassis is a lot lighter!!! Thats good. Yellow belt and new stiffer rear bumper as well. New stiffer front foam bumper and foam bumper brace.

I had two upgraded XXXs and sold them both to buy this one car and I am happy I did.Oh yeah-and a new rear shock tower with a new row of camber link locations.

Keep your old style rear hubs-this car comes with new offset hubs.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

With the new hubs can be chaged on the arm.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Regional Moderator

hey guys can you help me out here i just bought a xxxsGP from a member that said this car has been ran once on carpet for testing only not raced how is it a sealed drive train has a diff that looks that this in it the car was this way
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-dif.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.