Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Evil 10, are you talking about the graphite conversion kit? That has been out for some time now. I had a few and they went out the door really fast, more are expected at the end of the week. They didn't appear to have the new style of components in there.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

We run a mixture of Foams in NZ, Ellegi and Frewer. Both are available in front or rear specific rubber, the front compound is generally slightly harder.
What many people do is run a narrower front wheel(21mm)and a 26mm rear. With a front anti roll bar and some tuning with your steering EPA the cars handling gets sorted very quickly.

On untreated asphalt, a 30 shore front compound tyre with a 25 shore rear compound is pretty sweet.
It does vary from track to track but either the combo above or a 35 rear compound(21mm) on the front and 30 rear(26mm) on the back is another thats popular.

Another alternative is to grind the ribs off your standard rims and glue foam tyres to them. It also helps to have someone local with a tyre truer as this makes life a lot easier.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I run currently plaids up front and purples on the rear with my XXX-S.

As for the graphite CONVERSION KIT, I haven't seen anything come by that has updates in it. You probably can pick up some of the older graphite conversion kits cheap since they redesigned it. The older one has that nice TL behind the motor opening.

I got my XXX-S graphite edition preordered from my local hobby shop, Time to give them more business but the tax amount sucks on such a high ticket item.

I plan to have the hobby owner put my nerf wing conversions on the new graphite chassis when I get it, has losi made any changes to strength the rear hubs? I hated clipping a wall even at slow speed and still breaking a rear hub. with the brp wing fix, I haven't broken one yet.

Oh, this just ran through my mind. Does the new XXX-S graphite edition car come with tires? I heard all about the new rims, but nothing about the tires and it makes me wonder if they are going to leave that out. Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah i was talking about the NEW graphite conversion kit. I have bought a couple graphite parts here and there, but i decided i would buy the complete graphite kit. I just wanted to know when it might be out. Who knows i might get the old kit for a keepsake (AWWW!)
Old 11-14-2002, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

It will be out late nov early dec if there late(horizon hobbies)
Old 11-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Front One Way

Hey Dave K. or anyone else that might have input on One Ways. You mentioned earlier that you think that a one way helps in most rubber tire applications with the right setup, yet I have heard that they are bad for tight tracks which I happen to race on. We also only use rubber tires at my track and are running on assphalt. Can you you explain roughly what might need to be changed setup wise to use the front one way? A couple of people I race with tried them and said they had no steering but I still havent tried one and would like to.

Blake
Old 11-14-2002, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.teamlosi.com/pdfs/setups/...H_socal_02.pdf
its gregs setup for a tight asspult track with mod, it also works for stock. Or Blue blue front and back works as well. depends on your driving style
Old 11-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Front One Way

Blakesrc

You tend to lose off-power steering with a front one-way. On a tight track, that's not good. That's why diffs are better in that situation. I run at very technical tracks that very often have a nice sweeper at the end of the straight. On those tracks, I usually try both in practice and see which one works best. It really depends on the track.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I thought it was the other way around. I thought that since you put all of the braking responsibilities on the rear tires, this leaves more traction available for the front tires to turn the car in. The drawback is that it means the rear tires give up cornering traction since they have to do all the braking and thus can make the rear end unstable on corner entry if the track does not have enough trtaction. On corner exit the inside front tire turns at the same speed as the outside tire and therefore pulls the car into the corner under acceleration.

With a front diff or spool, you can brake later going into the turn but may lose corner entry steering because the front tires are already using some of the available traction to slow the car.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the screw breakdown for the Losi xxx-s. I want to replace all the screws on my cars with hex screws and I don't know how many of what i need. If anyone knows please post. I would be very greatful
Old 11-15-2002, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Default Part numbers yet?

are there any part numbers yet for the new updated/ revised parts? I want to upgrade to the new ones.

Also does anyone have the Speedtech aluminum steering pieces for the XXX-S? Are they very nicely machined or not?

Does anyone know a company that makes graphite plate shock towers (exactly) like the stock ones?
Old 11-15-2002, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

personally,i feel that Team PRP makes the sweetest carbon shock towers for the xxxs...

take a look...
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-prpxxxstowers.gif  
Old 11-15-2002, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Nightbreed- yep:
A-9854 Graphite Offset Rear Hubs (XXX-S/G+) 7.50
A-9855 Graphite Offset Rear Hubs 1/2° (XXX-S/G+) 7.50
A-9856 Graphite Offset Rear Hubs 1° (XXX-S/G+) 7.50
A-9860 Graphite Rear (Std/Offset) Arms (XXX-S/G+) 11.00
Old 11-15-2002, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Default Front Oneway

Blake - front one-ways increase both corner entry and exit speeds verses a standard differential. Especially on tight tracks, you will notice a dramatic difference in how fast you can get your car to rotate. If you have never used a oneway before, my first recommendation on setup change would be to go one spring stiffer in the front and perhaps increasing your rear toe-in hubs if you are running the 0's to -1/2 or -1 degree. The front one-way is going to speed up the the weight transition of the car as well, so you may want to either run like 10wt lighter oil in the back or increase the front by 10wt. Also, you may want to play with using front swaybars if you already aren't.

The biggest difference is going to be in your driving line. Gone are the days of driving hot and straight into the corner and slamming the car to get it to go around the corner. Also, gone are the days of slamming on the brakes. The most braking that you'll want to use is the motor drag as you let off the throttle. Try to make the driving line of your track's layout as smooth as possible. Even if it means driving a bit wider entering the turn, your cornering speed is most likely going to be much higher and you'll rocket out of the exit of the turn faster than you are now with your regular diffs. I have yet to find any layout that isn't faster on rubber with a front oneway as long as you have a decent setup on your car.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

I've ordered the graphite conversion, threaded short front shocks and threaded rear shocks for my XXX-S and it may take a little of my lap times but I've been considering trying a one-way. I take a smooth line, carry as much speed as possible and rarely use the brakes, unlike some of the other drivers, but as the tracks are tight and have little grip nobody's tried a one-way. I run rubber tires so it should in theory help but I really need to know how small a track has to be for a one-way to actually slow you down
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.