Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

You're CRAZY if you do that then race in the rain
Old 10-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Most people think you Britt's are crazy for running in the rain. But I will agree that Kenny is crazy, but that is because I know and race with him from time to time.

Chad
Old 10-28-2002, 02:26 PM

99% of what i do is carpet so its not an issue. But i am crazy.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

I'm crazy too, at least that's what the doctor says

There's nothing quite like watching spray coming off the tyres as you go round the track, and the smell of a blown speedo
Old 10-28-2002, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by senna
I am racing on an asphalt track outdoors with poor traction and I am having some difficulties with the REAR being a bit loose (i.e. Oversteer off power) I think ...

The following is my setup for the LOSI :

Front:
Kick Up - 4 Deg
Caster - 0 Deg
Camber - 1 Deg
Camber Links - Long
Shocks - Red (Soft)
Shocks - Leaned

Rear:
Anti Squat - 0 Deg
Caster - 0 Deg
Camber - 1 Deg
Camber Links - Short
Shocks - Red (soft)
Shocks - Leaned

What can I do to improve rear traction on off power, i.e. while entering a corner without loosing steering?
make your rear camber links long and what do you mean by "leaned" on your shocks? Are they all the way in? What droop are you running front and rear?
Old 10-28-2002, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Senna, what is your ride height for front and rear? What is the droop for front and rear? What tires and inserts are you using? Shock pistons? Shock oil? Are you running a front oneway? How much toe in/out is on the front? How much preload are on the shocks for front and rear? If you're using a diff for the front, which pulleys are you using for front and rear and how tight is the rear diff verse the front diff? Do you use tire additive before you race?

Last edited by webspinner; 10-28-2002 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Nelson,

That chassis looks great! I thought about trying that too. Do you know about how much weight you cut? I also mine on carpet most of the time, how well does debris go through the tunnel? I was concerned about debris piling up in there. I thought about milling some holes in the bottom cover to give the debris some where to escape!

Stefan
Old 10-28-2002, 08:32 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I accually did some dremel work to a spare chassis of mine last weekend.

I took out some battery slots, and may take a little more off the tunnel once i get the right bit for my dremel.

It wieghs in at .245lbs, which brings me to this Q? What does the graphite chassis weigh? I do not have a "full" chassis to put on the scale.

-Troy
Old 10-28-2002, 09:07 PM

I've run around 20 runs on my car since and i haven't seen a problem with debris build up yet. But it wouldn't be that hard to pull the cover off the bottom and blow it out with an aircompressor. I really don't know how much i took off. I did it inside a garbage can to save myself from cleaning up a mess and there was a bunch of junk in it in the end. My best guess would be around 1/5, that is how much i took off.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just a note on "fans".
Many of you may not be old enough to have been around to remember this. About maybe twenty years ago a F1 Ferrarri driver named Nikki Lauda raced a Formula 1 car for part of a season. This car had a large fan that sucked the air out from under the car......read-it was trying hard to draw a vacume under the car. This sucker lost alittle straightaway speed.....but talk about being on rails in the corners, nothing could touch it. Needless to say, it was quickly banned.

One interesting note: The car picked up everything on the track. Pebbles, gravel, rocks, nuts, bolt, dirt....everything, and threw them straight back. When your doing 200+ and the rocks are hitting you....well you see the second reason why it was banned.

I have watched Kinwald closely for nearly 12 years now, I just marvel at the innovation and new things he is always trying. I was there many nights when he was running the the proto-type of the XXX-S.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Here's a pic of my XXXS with some custom milling only on the graphite battery strap.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-losixxxs.1.jpg  
Old 10-29-2002, 01:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for your help ...

- I am using same shock oil front/rear (30)
- Ride height same front/rear (5mm)
- Slightly more droop in front
- Rubber tyres with soft foam inserts
- no one ways
- diffs not very tight both sides

How will diff settings effect handling?

I moved the front shock locations to the inner holes (more straight position) and it improved little bit. Today I will try to use a bit harder springs on the front.

My main problem (for the moment) is that the back is a bit loose when entering or exiting the corners ...

Any comments or suggestions ?
Old 10-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Senna, run your camber links in the rear as long as you can. The longer the camber link the more traction you will have.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Setup Help

Hi I race my XXXS on a very long indoor track using carpet. For the rules of the latest championships we have to use PITD20s with no additive aswell as the Reedy 19t motor, however the building the track is based in gets VERY cold and finding grip is very difficult. It also has a tight infield with 3 right, and 2 left hairpins so acceleration is alos useful.

I have experimented alot with the setup including rear LRC mods, the shock mods and everything you guys have talked about (apart from milling, seems a little drastic...!) I still cant get great grip. The car is full graphite.

I was wondering if you guys could help me fing a great handling car. I have a smooth driving style and so a smooth car would be rewarding for me.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 07:09 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by proudwinner
Here's a pic of my XXXS with some custom milling only on the graphite battery strap.
I did the same. Great idea untill you stuff a pole once or twice. Batteries slide forward.

Quality - What are you running for springs / oil? Where are the shocks located?

Give us some setup info, and we should be able to give you a "try this, try that" list..

-Troy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.